John Williams Top 3 Greatest Years Of Film Scoring

Sandor

RARE BREED was this old Universal western, i faintly remember seeing it (it was called RANCHO RIVER on german telly) but the score didn't leave much of an impression (the also often-run THE COWBOYS much more so, together with Jerry's WILD ROVERS my earliest western score exposure apart from the Morricones).

THE COWBOYS is a superior score, no question there, and it remains Williams' best in the genre (even if I have some ethical issues with the film itself), but RARE BREED isn't far behind. Some gorgeous writing, especially for the 'rare breed' itself, the Vindicator. PLAINSMAN is a bit more dated -- even has a pop chorus -- but also highly enjoyable. I've only ever seen the film with Spanish dubbing and no subtitles. The score is much better than the film anyway.

THE COWBOYS is a superior score, no question there, and it remains Williams' best in the genre (even if I have some ethical issues with the film itself)

The boys becoming men by slaughtering the posse?

THE COWBOYS is a superior score, no question there, and it remains Williams' best in the genre (even if I have some ethical issues with the film itself)

The boys becoming men by slaughtering the posse?

Yes, and a few other things (like the portrayal of black people). It's a very 'right-wing' film, but that's not very surprising given John Wayne's involvement.

Yes, as Williams clearly states in the liner notes, it's one of the four scores he wrote that year.

Are you referring to the liner notes in the Varese CD release..? Because those are written by Robert Townson, not Williams.

The soundtrack and film were released in 1990, not 1989.

It's a no-brainer to me.

Yes, as Williams clearly states in the liner notes, it's one of the four scores he wrote that year.

Are you referring to the liner notes in the Varese CD release..? Because those are written by Robert Townson, not Williams.

I remember reading them in the LP, but yes, they're the same liner notes and they were written by Robert Townson, I stand corrected.

But he does say that S&I is one of the four scores that Williams wrote in 1989:

"1989 marks John Williams' most prolific year of film composition since assuming conductorship of the Boston Pops Orchestra in 1980. In addition to scoring Steven Spielberg's two films, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Always, plus Oliver Stone's Born on the Fourth of July, he has composed one of the most subtle and compassionate scores of his career for MGM's new film Stanley & Iris."

I remember reading them in the LP, but yes, they're the same liner notes and they were written by Robert Townson, I stand corrected.

But he does say that S&I is one of the four scores that Williams wrote in 1989:

"1989 marks John Williams' most prolific year of film composition since assuming conductorship of the Boston Pops Orchestra in 1980. In addition to scoring Steven Spielberg's two films, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Always, plus Oliver Stone's Born on the Fourth of July, he has composed one of the most subtle and compassionate scores of his career for MGM's new film Stanley & Iris."

I acknowledge the score was written and recorded in 1989.

However; it's going to alter the logic by which we categorize Williams' scores by year. If we regard Stanley And Iris a 1989-score than The Empire Strikes Back should be viewed as a 1979-score and Rosewood a 1996-score. And so on. We would have to delve into the recording and writing process of each score to adhere to a completely new system.

I think it's more sensible to simply look at the release date of a film.

Stanley And Iris was released in 1990 and therefore a 1990-score.

1977, 1978.

The Fury, Jaws 2 and Superman. Thumbs up.

I agree with Sandor.

Its the same with films. Jaws is a 1975 film even though a lot of it was shot in 1974 etc...

Agreed. Gets too complicated the other way (especially since most people don't know the details about the exact year a score was written if different than the release).

This.

Though I might replace 1997 with 1999, and 1993 is a personal fav too.

1977 - Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1993 - Jurassic Park, Schindler's List

2002 - Minority Report, Catch Me If you Can (I don't care as much for the other two that year)

Wait, I change my mind. Erase 2002 and replace it with 1974, for "The Towering Inferno" and "Earthquake."