John Williams' CHECKMATE to be re-recorded

Erik Woods

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news! I have not heard the music but now there is going to be a chance! :)

the original recording sounds fine. I have it. No real reason to re-record. Why no re-release?

According to Rick Clark of MellowDrama Records (excerpted from the Film Score Monthly message board):

"checkmate will actually be (shock horror) be a re-record, the tapes simply were not available. I did consider cleaning up the LP, but a number of people already have this recording and quite frankly the sound was never that great.

I’ve got together around 30 of London’s finest jazzers to play for this album, I’ve had reconstructions done of all the LP tracks, a single version of one the tracks released at the time plus about 20 mins of previously unreleased Williams from the show.

Samples will of course be on the site once its been recorded."

Link to the FSM thread:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...umID=1&pageID=1

Oh no, my precious, priceless, unique, never-played-once vinyl copy of Checkmate will be worthless now!

Don't worry, it's a rerecording, so you can still get rich. In the meantime, I'll hang on to my LP of Monsignor :fouetaa:

the original recording sounds fine. I have it. No real reason to re-record. Why no re-release?

The original recording, while being generally fine, has some awful equalization on it. The gentle ballad on side 1 (I think it's track 2 or 3) starts fine but when the full band joins in the sound levels get pulled down really obviously to avoid distortion. With CD quality they could start that track much more quietly and it will still sound crystal clear.

Thanks for the advice, Stefancos, but ... I lied. I don't even have a worn-out copy of Checkmate. I just happen to think that :fouetaa: - smilies are overrated.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I just happen to think that  :fouetaa: - smilies are overrated.

But no one used the ;) smiley....

Morlock - confused

Hmmmm, I decided not to use a ;) after my blatant lie of me owning a brand new copy of Checkmate on vinyl because, in some cases, ;) kinda are spoilers.

Checkmate music.,hmmm.I have a bunch of checkmate tracks I never listens to.Didn't Shelly Mane re-record stuff from that??

K.M.

I just happen to think that  :fouetaa: - smilies are overrated.

But no one used the ;) smiley....

Morlock - confused

Hmmmm, I decided not to use a ;) after my blatant lie of me owning a brand new copy of Checkmate on vinyl because, in some cases, ;) kinda are spoilers.

Your first post was too exaggerated to be believed anyway, so having a ;) there would just have been out of place. Either way, I'm not quite sure what you were trying to do here, but rest assured, at least this poster totally missed the point (as is often the case ;)).

Actually, I'm more excited about finally getting The Machinist score.  I've heard great examples of the soundtrack and I cannot wait to get this score!

You should see the film too, David.

• 9 years later...

BUMP.

According to Rick Clark of MellowDrama Records (excerpted from the Film Score Monthly message board):

"checkmate will actually be (shock horror) be a re-record, the tapes simply were not available. I did consider cleaning up the LP, but a number of people already have this recording and quite frankly the sound was never that great.

I’ve got together around 30 of London’s finest jazzers to play for this album, I’ve had reconstructions done of all the LP tracks, a single version of one the tracks released at the time plus about 20 mins of previously unreleased Williams from the show.

Samples will of course be on the site once its been recorded."

Whatever happened to this project?