r-u-a JW Snob?

pi

Do you think all of JW's music is good just because he wrote it? In other words would you still defend it is being good if it was bad? (just becuase you are hardcore like that)  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes I am a JW Snob (I am a respected snob or a closet snob and am not made fun of)
    • No I am not a JW Snob
    • Yes I am a JW Snob and people make fun of me because of it.

Responses like "well JW always writes good music" are not allowed - this is a hypothetical question.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say I am, there a plenty of works that I find better the Williams', in fact I think the Back to the Future theme easily measures up to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I also have no problem denouncing some of Williams' lesser works. however, I would consider myself an anti-zimmer snob who is only willing to give Zimmer a chance with DC

I don't think I am. It raises the question, "Do I enjoy John Williams' music because it's good music or because it's John Williams?" I think John Williams has the benefit of scoring many great films, so if I enjoy the films I usually enjoy the score.

Not everything he writes is pure genius. I can admit that. So I'm not a snob.

However, I too am an anti-Zimmer snob....lol

I'm definitely not.

There are only a handful of scores from Williams that I enjoy. Everything else to me is just bleh. There are other composers' works I find more enjoyable to listen to.

Don't get me wrong Williams is a great composer but for me I'd perfer some of my other favorite composers over him.

IE: David Arnold, Alan Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith, Don Davis...

Edit: For the record I don't like Zimmer's works at all...bleh.

I do not feel that I am a John Williams snob. There are scores of his that I simply do not like. John Williams' name does not make music sacrosanct.

Oh and I hate Zimmer too. Zimmer sucks big time! :D

I think a defining characteristic of being a John Williams snob is thinking that you aren't one. :D

Justin

Who will admit it first? :spiny:

Not I.

Denial is everything, reality is nothing.

Zimmer is awesome - and some of you are LIARS!! come out of the closet allready. and btw JW was never in a famous rock and roll band. Come on you have never been made fun of becuase of your JW fascination?

I ardently love John Williams, regardless. I figure that, if I don't enjoy something he's done, that I'M just not intelligent or cultured enough to appreciate it, and that hopefully, in time, I will. But unlike most of the true snobs on this forum, I do enjoy Hans Zimmer's work.

There is AMAZING John Williams (Indy, SW, Superman, Schindler's), then there is GREAT JW (HP, Witches, 1941, Memoirs, Olllie Stone Scores, Hook,) then there is GOOD JW (A.I., Teminal, River, Sabrina, Empire Of Sun, Home Alone, Angela's Ashes) then there's OK JW (Sleepers, Rosewood, Always) then there's NOT-SO-GOOD JW (Stepmom, Spacecamp) and then BAD JW (Heartbeeps!)

In my Opinion.

And Yes...I consider Myself a JW snob.

No. He has written some stuff that I just cannot take (Catch Me If You Can being an immediate thought). I also have a hard time getting around the Cello Concerto. So no, I do not like everything he writes just because its John Williams.

Liking everything JW has done is not being a snob (in response to pat burke). I am most definitely not a JW snob. But, even weaker JW scores are better than a lot of stuff done by other composers...

Liking everything JW has done is not being a snob (in response to pat burke). I am most definitely not a JW snob. But' date=' even weaker JW scores are better than a lot of stuff done by other composers...[/color']

ooooh does that count?

There is AMAZING John Williams (Indy, SW, Superman, Schindler's), then there is GREAT JW (HP, Witches, 1941, Memoirs, Olllie Stone Scores, Hook,) then there is GOOD JW (A.I., Teminal, River, Sabrina, Empire Of Sun, Home Alone, Angela's Ashes) then there's OK JW (Sleepers, Rosewood, Always) then there's NOT-SO-GOOD JW (Stepmom, Spacecamp) and then BAD JW (Heartbeeps!)

Whilst I would move a number of scores into different categories, I would say that broadly, you are correct.

Liking everything JW has done is not being a snob (in response to pat burke). I am most definitely not a JW snob. But' date=' even weaker JW scores are better than a lot of stuff done by other composers...[/color']

ooooh does that count?

LOL It only counts if it's not true!

No.  He has written some stuff that I just cannot take (Catch Me If You Can being an immediate thought). I also have a hard time getting around the Cello Concerto. So no, I do not like everything he writes just because its John Williams.

That's interesting, I really enjoy Catch Me if You Can, it's one of my favorite scores! But I do agree with you about the Cello Concerto. The intro and the main theme that the cello plays are great, but after that, he loses my attention a bit.

~Tyler, proud that he can criticize John Williams. That took a lot....lol

That's interesting, I really enjoy Catch Me if You Can, it's one of my favorite scores! But I do agree with you about the Cello Concerto. The intro and the main theme that the cello plays are great, but after that, he loses my attention a bit.

Exactly-the first few minutes of the Cello Concerto are really good, but the piece just rambles on after that and never really seems to go anywhere. The Five Sacred Trees, now, is a different piece entirely and I enjoy it a great deal, particularly Tortan.

Yes I am a JW snob.

Well someone has to,JW gets so little respect in the classical world...

oh,and Patrick Doyle,Howard Shore and Gustavo Santaollala suck...and whoever else happens to steal the spotlight from JW in the future.

K.M.

Stefancos Wrote:

So far I'm enjoying Howard Shore's latest score (Sun: Soul Of The Ultimate Nation) about 100 times more then Williams last snoozefest (Munich)

WOW! 8O I think Munich Is William's most Raw Emotional work. Almost more raw then Schindler's List.

Almost.

Can't believe you don't like it.

Good call Steef 8O

I've been listening to WotW a bit recently, but apart from that, far more from JNH, plus getting into Gregson-Williams a bit more (Narnia has finally opened up, and also The Tigger movie is really cute).

I don't seem to be getting tired of King Kong either (Last Blank Space on the Map is really getting me going at the moment, mainly as the rhythm picks up and we get the choir at the back)

NP: Matobo, The Interpreter - JNH

So far I've been enjoying Giacchino's Medal of Honor: Frontline more than any of Williams' scres from 2005.

MM - Who thinks JW and Howard Shore were listening to "Arnhem" when they composed "Anakin's Betrayal" and anything from LotR, respectively.

I don't think he missed the mark. Sure, it's not always fun to listent to, but it does the job in the film. The "Epilogue" theme (used in the crashed plane scene) and "Ray and Rachael" are particularly beautiful and sombre and the action music isn't without its charm. Especially the vocals in "The Intersection Scene".

So far I'm enjoying Howard Shore's latest score (Sun: Soul Of The Ultimate Nation) about 100 times more then Williams last snoozefest (Munich)

You're closer to being a JG Snob anyway.

WOW!  ;) I think Munich Is William's most Raw Emotional work. Almost more raw then Schindler's List.  

Almost.

I've flushed vomit more raw then the score to Munich.

Does raw constitute predictable, one-dimensional and boring in your book?

You are mistaken.

Goldsmith fans are not snobs, they are normal, blue collar people, normal as muck.

WOW!  ;) I think Munich Is William's most Raw Emotional work. Almost more raw then Schindler's List.  

Almost.

You are mistaken.

Goldsmith fans are not snobs, they are normal, blue collar people, normal as muck.

LOL Jerry Goldsmith, film composer of the working class LOL

Friend of the little man when capitalist pig John Williams continues his oppression.