Has Anyone Attempted To Make a Complete Score for LOTR?...

Damo

Has Anyone Attempted To Make a Complete Howard Shore Score for LOTR out of using a DVD ripped?

by the way what is the complete cue list for FOTR?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aparently the album fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings isn't in Australia. Woudn't it be release world wide?

I check everywhere on net and I can't see any of it avaliable in Australia nor has it been listed in Australian's Music store online.

Aparently the album fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings isn't in Australia. Woudn't it be release world  wide?  

I check everywhere on net and I can't see any of it avaliable in Australia nor has it been listed in Australian's Music store online.

Damo,

You will find it on the HMV Australia website. It sells for $119.99 AUD but I bought mine through Amazon and saved over $40.00. Its release date in Australia 20 Jan 06. I also don't think it will be something that you will find in stores anyway but it seems to be more an Internet item.

Find it here:

w ww.hmv.com.au/product/product.asp?sku=-989377

Dean

I used the BFME II cues together with the OST to create complete pieces from ROTK (with pretty sweet results), but I haven't done anything with FOTR or TTT. We've got FOTR, and TTT will arrive soon anyway.

At one point I made a heavily expanded trilogy using credits and DVD music and edited into some of the OST tracks. I've gotten rid of that now in favour of the CR and BMFE music.

Anyways, I always like to have expanded versions, but not the complete ones that are purely DVD rips, they're just too messy and 'unofficial'. I prefer to make personal ones which have just a few extra tracks from the DVD.

I'm perfectly content with the 7 or so solid cues from the BFME until the RotK CR comes out, and I've made about the same amount of DVD rips from Two Towers (mostly EE material).

Well ok then, 10 or so, plus some of my own DVD rips. I basically just haven't gone overboard in trying to join everything together - just the best parts.

I think it just makes the CR an anti-climax the more you extract at this point.

I basically just haven't gone overboard in trying to join everything together - just the best parts.  

Dunno. I like everything in place, where it belongs. And besides, aren't the score parts more or less all intact, if you put aside that they've been split up into several MP3s? The whole "Catapults Unleashed" sequence is there, up until Grond appears, the Black Gate scene is complete, the Dimholt road, the Paths Of The Dead, the Grey Havens ...

I don't think the CR will be anticlimatic in any way, if you consider that it will contain a significant amount of rearranging, alternates and unused bits.

Aparently the album fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings isn't in Australia. Woudn't it be release world  wide?  

WTF? Is Australia the end of the world? Even here in my small town it was available in stores on the specified retail date (18th Dec or so, don't remember).

Dunno. I like everything in place, where it belongs. And besides, aren't the score parts more or less all intact, if you put aside that they've been split up into several MP3s?

Exactly - it's all split up, and all over the huge fle.

The whole "Catapults Unleashed" sequence is there, up until Grond appears, the Black Gate scene is complete, the Dimholt road, the Paths Of The Dead, the Grey Havens ...

True, if you can be bothered to find everything and edit it all together. I tried finding all the pieces from Shelob's Lair and putting that together, but without endlessly replaying the movie I wasn't going to get far. I've got a solid 30 mins or so of unreleased stuff (that's both BFME and DVD material) and I'm happy with that until the CR - let someone else do the mixing work ;)

WTF? Is Australia the end of the world?

Don't you believe that for a second. Sure it takes a bit of time for us to get some things but remember that we (Australia) are the ONLY major country not connected to another major land mass so everything that doesn't get made here must come via the sea.

Dean

As I suggested if it's not available for purchase yet in your counteries then order it from an online retalier such as Amazon or some place else. Ya you might have to wait a few days to reiceve your copy but hey it would better than having to wait months for your country to get the recording.

@ richuk

Placing the cues within the film was no problem at all for me because I could probably hum the entire score without looking at the film once lol

So, doing Shelob was no problem; if you want, I can send it to you, it runs for 6 minutes, ending at the point when Gollum falls off the cliff.

No, that's For Frodo. :P

I haven't done anything with the files either...not enough time. ;)  

ttbk

At first, I thought you were referring to the cue in which Frodo scales the orc tower. Then I remembered Aragorn's "For Frodo" scene. Both are pretty cool, although I prefer the former.

Since some of the tracks are repeated in more or less their original format in several places in the 3 films, you're unlikely to see any repeats on a cd. Unless they are literally going to print the entire score.

Well, I don't think it's what he meant, but TTT, at least, has a few cases of tracking. Off the top of my head:

A section from Weathertop is used when Treebeard stomps on the orc that was trying to kill Merry and Pippin.

The end of Treebeard is tracked into Gandalf's appearance in Fangorn. As are the opening twenty seconds of Forth Eorlingas.

Some of the Balrog music is used during the warg attack. The opening of Evenstar is tracked(?), and then looped during the "Arwen's Fate" scene, and part of Gilraen is used there as well. (the original score for that scene is heard in Breath of Life)

And of course, "The Last March of the Ents" at Helm's Deep.

But that's a sidetrack, I'm not sure what he meant...

At first, I thought you were referring to the cue in which Frodo scales the orc tower. Then I remembered Aragorn's "For Frodo" scene. Both are pretty cool, although I prefer the former.

Yeah. Should probably really call the one at the Black Gates The Eagles Are Coming or something..

ttbk

:music: Prologue -- Hook

One other bit in TTT - a section from Khazad-dum is tracked just as Legolas sees the approaching wargs on the way to Helm's Deep.

For a 3 hour film, this is a remarkably low amount of editing, despite how much re-editing happened to the movie.

Yeah. Should probably really call the one at the Black Gates The Eagles Are Coming or something..

Ahh..yeah, and that's the one where Aragorn specifically says 'For Frodo' :roll:

And isn't it Sam that climbs the tower? I've named that short piece the rather unimaginative The Tower of Cirith Ungol.

For a 3 hour film, this is a remarkably low amount of editing, despite how much re-editing happened to the movie.

Because Shore was still writing and recording music up until the last minute. ;)

John- who will always wonder how things might be different if Williams was willing/could do that

Agreed John, wouldn't it be amazing if films like Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith had 100% original and flowing music like (almost) LOTR had. We can dream!

I still wonder what Anakin's march on the Jedi Temple could have sounded like if Lucas and Ben Burtt werent in charge.

Sam also says "for Frodo!" though, thus the confusion. :angry:

I've always mentally labeled that cue For My Old Gaffer!.

LOL

I've never liked tracknames with excessive quotes anyway :|

There's a clear difference between the two quotes anyway, hence which one should get the title.

The end of Treebeard is tracked into Gandalf's appearance in Fangorn. As are the opening twenty seconds of Forth Eorlingas.

I'm not convinced of that, remnember the OST CD has been severly edited, you cannot use that as a guideline for were music is supposed to be in the film.

I'm pretty sure the opening of Forth Eorlingas was composed for the scene of Gandals appearance.

Some of the Balrog music is used during the warg attack.

That's Orc music, not Balrog music.

The opening of Evenstar is tracked(?), and then looped during the "Arwen's Fate" scene, and part of Gilraen is used there as well. (the original score for that scene is heard in Breath of Life)

I doubt that, I think Shore just liked toe opening for Arwen's Fate and included it into Evenstar for the album.

I'm not convinced of that, remnember the OST CD has been severly edited, you cannot use that as a guideline for were music is supposed to be in the film.

I'm pretty sure the opening of Forth Eorlingas was composed for the scene of Gandalf's appearance.

Yes, but some sequences were left unedited (Foundations Of Stone; The Leave Taking), and at present I'm inclined to believe that it was meant for Helm's Deep. (where it actually fits into the final cut of the film; with Gandalf's appearance, there isn't enough time for the full piece, and it would segue oddly into the music for the fight with the balrog that can be heard in the fan credits anyway...IMO) But we're both just speculating... :)

That's Orc music, not Balrog music.

I stand corrected. :angry:

I doubt that, I think Shore just liked the opening for Arwen's Fate and included it into Evenstar for the album.

It's possible that it was intended for there, but it *is* looped, and Breath of Life *does* fit perfectly over that scene, and makes perfect sense thematically since it uses "The Diminishment of the Elves". Maybe it's an alternate, but I still say it's tracked. :)

ttbk

:| Enter Lord Vader