Celebrity Sightings - List yours

Lord Gibson

This topic may have been posted some time ago, but here we go anyway?

Of course celebrities are normal human beings, but it is very nice to meet one in person, or even see from a far, a face that we only know from a television or movie screen. People that you recognize from your favorite TV drama or from that video that you?ve seen more than ten times. Or perhaps the great performer that sings that song that?s playing on the radio, or the artist that sketches the comic book that you read as a child. That person has only been a name, a picture or a voice, until your see him or her in the flesh.

I know that the ?Celebrity Status? is objective, but I was wondering if anyone on the board has had a ?Celebrity sighting?, and if so, who and where? And it can be at a concert, at a convention or even at the grocery store.

Here's my list:

John Williams [Composer], (oh joy) Concert: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles CA ? 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002. Concert: LA Philharmonic, Los Angeles CA ? 2002

Yo-yo Ma [Performer], Concert: LA Philharmonic, Los Angeles CA ? 2002

James Taylor [singer, songwriter], Concert: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles CA ? 2002

Patrick Stewart [Actor], Convention: Star Trek, San Diego CA ? 1990

William Shatner [Actor], Convention: Star Trek, San Diego CA ? 1991

Marina Sirtis [Actor], Convention: Comic Con, San Diego CA ? 2002

Bret Spiner* [Actor], Convention: Star Trek, San Diego CA ? 1992

Arnold Schwarzenegger [Actor], Convention: Comic- Con, San Diego CA. ? 2002

Lucy Lu [Actor], Convention: Comic-Con, San Diego CA ? 2002

Russel Crow* [Actor], Fox Studios, Rosarito BC Mexico ? 2002

Martin Sheen [Actor], Concert: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles CA ? 2001

Elijah Wood [Actor], Convention: Comic-Con, San Diego CA ? 2002

Jason Lee [Actor], Convention: Comic-Con, San Diego CA ? 2002

Ang Lee [Director], Convention: Comic-Con, San Diego CA ? 2002

Matt Groening [Creator ?The Simpsons?], Convention: Comic-Con, San Diego CA ? 1999, 2000, 2002

Will Ferrell [Actor, Cast member SNL], NBC Studios, New York NY ? 2002

Molly Shannon [Actor, Cast member SNL], NBC Studios, New York NY ? 2002

Chris Kattan [Actor (or somthing like that), Cast member SNL], NBC Studios, New York NY ? 2002

Jimmy Fallon [Actor, Cast member SNL], NBC Studios, New York NY ? 2002

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm... let's see...

When I was in Hamburg last week with a friend, we passed by the "UFA Streits" cinema (kind of exquisite art house cinema), and there was a crowd, and a red carpet, and journalists. Seems "The Bourne Identity" was premiering (at least a big film poster of that movie was over the entrance). And after some while a limousine stopped, and some woman came out, and was immediately interviewed by the press. Neither my friend nor I recognized her, so we left (had to catch a train). But after seeing a small article about the movie afterwards (before I didn't now anything about it) I think it's quite safe to assume that it was Franka Potente ROTFLMAO

-Chris

I was an extra in the film "Courage Under Fire," and Denzel Washington was in my scene. Of course, I didn't meet him, but we did breathe the same air. ROTFLMAO

I've met some sports celebrities, but they're not of Michael Jordan caliber.

That's it. ;)

(steps up to the microphone, with a horribly sheepish look on face)

Um...

...I, uh......

I met Fred from the Mickey Mouse Club in 1992...

(steps away from the microphone, sobs loudly)

I was an extra in the film "Courage Under Fire," and Denzel Washington was in my scene.

Cool!! :wow: Did your scene make the final cut of the film?

Harry Connick Jr. (autograph ROTFLMAO _

Diana Krall (autograph ;) )

Barry Manilow (my boyfriend was in the band :) )

and that's about it for singular celebs. If you don't count Tower of Power.

Ren

Oh good! A chance to show off!

Leonard Bernstein

Andre Previn

Yo-Yo Ma

Itzhak Perlman

Gil Shaham

William Warfield (I mention him because I heard he just died yesterday)

Simon Rattle

Riccardo Muti

Alfred Brendel

Murray Perahia

Gian Carlo Menotti...

Christ, do you want me to go on with the music people?

Samuel L. Jackson

Morgan Freeman

Mel Gibson

Michael Douglas

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Kevin Spacey

Edward Norton

Whoopi Goldberg

Kathy Bates

Ming-Na

William Hurt

Tony Roberts (of Woody Allen fame)

Bernadette Peters

James Coburn

James Belushi

Andrew McCarthy

Kevin Bacon's dad LOL (Does that count?)

James Doohan

The guy who played Number 2 on Next Generation

One of those girl stars from a big tv show in the seventies (can't remember which :( )

Barry "Greg Brady" Williams

David Cassidy

Peter Noone

Doug Henning (Anybody remember him?)

Penn & Teller (seperately -- always seem to run into Teller)

Mummenschantz

Tim Conway

Robin Williams

John Cleese

Robert Klein

Spalding Gray

Steven Wright

Wilt Chamberlain

Larry Holmes

Mike Schmidt

Famed lion tamer Gunther Gabel Williams

Mischa, the World's Smallest Man

The Great Wallenda (before he plunged to his death)

John Lee Hooker

Chuck Mangione

Lyle Lovett

Harry Connick, Jr.

Daniel Ash

Some guy from The Cure? (looks like Neil Gaiman's Sandman)

Ashanti 8O

Kenny G

Ken Kesey

Umberto Eco

Alice Walker

Joyce Carol Oates

T. Coraghessan Boyle

William Kotzwinkle

Douglas Adams (twice)

Neil Gaiman

Evan "Milk & Cheese" Dorkin

William Safire

Al Gore

Joseph Lieberman

Abbie Hoffman

Jerry Rubin

G. Gordon Liddy

Arlen "JFK Magic Bullet" Specter

Jack Kevorkian (I kid you not)

The guy who played the brother on Mad About You (Keep seeing him on the street)

The Olympic Torch

and, yes, believe it or not, Charles Nelson Reilly!

Kiss the hem of my gown! ;)

Not bad for a guy who never gets out of his apartment. :sigh:

Uhhh...Figo, you're not with the paparazzi are you? 8O

But seriously...how did you get to meet all these people?

On topic: The only famous person I have met is Richard Branson. We actually had an in-depth conversation. It was quite nice, and he is a pleasant fellow!

Does it count if you went to a popconcert? If so,

Then I saw the following people in a range from 50-100 meters:

- Bryan Adams

- Phil Collins

- Tina Turner (twice)

- Sir Elton John

- Bruce Springsteen once (22 october I see him again!)

- Toto (tree times)

- Simon Phillips (worlds best DRUMMER, I spoke to him)

- Laura Pausini (twice) 1luvu.gif

- Bon Jovi

- Van Halen

And I met Derrick on holiday once (our German visitors here will know him!)

Oh, last week I saw Henk van Dorp on Schiermonnikoog (that's for our Dutch posters).

Hmmm...

Not very many. I have seen a celebrity or two, but none very famous. Maybe a race car driver or something. My area doesn't get too many famous folk, and since I don't worship celebrities, I don't seek them out.

But I did just see Amy Grant in concert last saturday. I've loved her since I was a kid and it was a dream come true to see her perform. She's as nice, sincere, beautiful, and talented in person as she is on TV and CDs. Other than John Williams (who I haven't met yet and missed a chance a little over a year ago), she was probably the only other celebrity that I wanted to see/meet.

But seriously...how did you get to meet all these people?

Don't you know? I'm this board's Forrest Gump!

Seriously, these are celebrity sightings, right? I assure you, I didn't even speak to most of the people on the list, and some of them I never even got close to. Others, like Samuel Jackson, just showed up outside my store for a cigarette. William Safire actually came in. So did James Doohan (another store, though), and that other Star Trek guy, from Next Generation. Tim Conway came in. So did Teller. I rode an elevator with Gabel Williams. The girl I can't remember hit me up for some matches. I saw Spalding Gray at the grocery store. Jack Kevorkian was eating at a restaurant, and I passed him going to the restroom. I knew it was him, because he had been speaking nearby. Tony Roberts I passed on the street. James Coburn and Andrew McCarthy were shooting movies in town. John Cleese I saw in a hotel lobby. I got stuck in a mob that was flocking to see Ashanti. (I didn't even know who she was. In fact, I had to leave a lot of pop stars off the list, because I can't remember their names!) I ran into the Cure guy when I dashed up the street for a cup of coffee, and then saw Gore and Lieberman on the same corner when they were campaigning for the rigged election. I don't know. A lot of funny stories. All you have to do is live in a city, and the celebrities rain from the sky!

I also meet a lot of musicians through my work and leisure. I go to a hell of a lot of concerts, so I would say I have seen or met most of today's major classical music figures -- although, as I say, I have not actually spoken to or even gotten close to many of them. I've had conversations with Previn, Lukas Foss, Simon Rattle (twice), and numerous others. Rattle even drew me a doodle of himself, remarking that we have similar hair. I usually only get signatures from the music people, so you'll have to take my word for the rest!

Figo, like a CGI feather on the wind.

I forgot I saw Pavarotti, and just recently, on the street, Emanuel Ax.

and where exactly do you live then?

That information shall remain undisclosed. :evil:

Figo, who may have a large apartment, but is not about to put up with a bunch of free-loading jwfan members.

I was an extra in the film "Courage Under Fire," and Denzel Washington was in my scene.

Cool!! :wow: Did your scene make the final cut of the film?

Sadly, no. And I found this out at the Austin, Texas, premiere of the film, when I invited 10 of my friends to see my film debut.

And it's not on the DVD either. :cry:

Given that I live in Toronto and we have the Film Festival in September, and that I used to work across from the Four Seasons in the part of town where all the action is at festival time, a list of my sightings would kind of be long and pointless, but in the further spirit of bragging I will drop SOME names of people I was lucky enough to chat with at reasonable length in the music stores I worked in, as well as backstage at concerts, etc. Memory will probably fail me as I am one of the old-timers here, right?

FILM PEOPLE:

Whoopi Goldberg

Jack Lemmon

Walter Matthau

Alec Baldwin & Kim Basinger

Rob Lowe

Candice Bergen

Gene Wilder (regular customer during a movie of the week shoot, wow!)

Suzanne Somers

Michael Yorke

Bette Midler

Charles Bronson

director Atom Egoyan (and I am acquainted with his pianist sister Eve)

MUSIC PEOPLE:

Aretha Franklin (thank you, lord)

James Brown (thanks again)

John Williams (...)

Oscar Peterson (videotaped him for school where he was a visiting prof.)

Anne Murray (Canadian celeb cliche)

Steve Reich

Philip Glass

Luciano Berio

Alfred Brendel

Cyprien Katsaris

Murray Perahia

Yo Yo Ma

Ofra Harnoy (cellist)

Anna Russell

Jukka Pekka Saraste (TSO conductor '95-'01)

Charlie Watts (regular customer during the Stones' rehearsal visits)

Geddy Lee of Rush (while he was pushing a stroller)

Loreena McKennitt (perhaps recognizable to fans of Celtic music)

Alanis Morrisette (sang in-store when she was a 16-year old bratty diva)

Dead Can Dance (Brendan Perry/Lisa Gerrard)

Nino Rota's proud granddaughter

Howard Shore's ridiculously proud mother (several times)

CANADIAN LITERATURE TYPES:

Margaret Atwood

Michael Ondaatje

the late Robertson Davies

OK, just hit the memory wall...

Guy Kawasaki (famous Apple macintosh evangelist) literally ran into me at a convention and fell down. Hee. They don't call me BigJohn for nothing.

At the same convention, different year, Gregory Hines passed right next to me. I was amazed at how short he was.

Uh, Ren - you do know that Michael Hutchens of INXS committed suicide a few years ago, don't you? :cry:

BigJohn

Immovable Force

yes i know. he knew he couldn't have me so he decided life wasn't good enough LOL

just kidding but I do still like them and they have been one of my favorite bands since, well they came out, so I'd still like to see them even though Michael's not with them anymore.

Fivetones, I am so envious that you met Robertson Davies. He is one of my very favorite authors, ever. I was able to acquire a book he had inscribed in his impeccable calligraphy, but unfortunately, with his passing, our meeting will have to wait for the next world.

I was late for rehearsal once, back in the days when I was a measly assistant stage manager for one of the local opera companies. So I barrel assed through the green room and bounded back stage, only to smack directly into former music director of the Montreal Symphony Charles Dutoit. :oops:

I thought fivetones, being a Canadian music lover, and Big John, being a notorious celebrity bruiser, would appreciate that.

My only celebrity sighting is Dick Smothers. The Smothers Brothers were performing in my city and I ran into him at one of the local department stores.

Mari

Figo, like a CGI feather on the wind.

*whistling Alan Silvestri's innocent piano theme*

I'm very blessed to have had the opportunity to shake hands and get an autograph from John Williams, whom I consider to be the best celebrity there is to see.

Ray Barnsbury-who wants to see him again!

Mari, you're really dating yourself. There are only a handful of us who know who Dick Smothers is, I'll wager. (Probably the same ones who recognize the name Doug Henning.)

Figo, who would trade in the whole kit and caboodle for one sighting of Letha Weapons. :evil:

Robin Williams- In SF, where he lives. I was there a ciouple of years ago for a month, and I saw him a couple of times in the morning jogging

Steven Spielberg, Liam Neesan, Ben Kingsley- I went with my father to Schindler's grave while they were filming the final scene in the movie.

John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma- in concert

Alec Baldwin- walking down the street in Manhatten

Rudolph Giuliani, Michael Bloomberg, George Pataki- during a visit to Jerusalem late last year

Alan Greenspan and wife Andea Mitchell- at a family event (My mother is Mitchell's cousin)

Antonio Banderas, Melanie Griffiths- While filming a movie in Jerusalem

Kirk Douglas- on a visit here

Jason Isaacs (Tavington in the Patriot and Lucious Malfoy in HP2)- visiting his parents here for Passover.

Figo, meeting Robertson Davies (a couple of times as he was a one-time regular customer of my old boss') was like meeting Treebeard or some such other old, wizened and wise beyond years member of an ancient race. What did I say to him? I don't remember, it was probably of no importance nor intelligence.

Dutoit, wow! I was lucky enough to see him conduct the OSM in his day. He's probably the greatest music director Canada's been lucky enough to have. What was he like? I have heard nothing too good about his personal and professional manner.

Well I've met a couple of well known persons (at least in Portugal):

1. The wife of a former Portuguese president (she is the Portuguese Red Cross president) -- she was at the hopening of an art exhibition were I had some of my paintings and we had a short chat (the usual stuff: Your paintings are very interesting, bla, bla, bla...);

2. A old TV presenter, who was responsible for the only tv show about comics and animations ever to exist in Portugal -- a great old guy, currently with nearly 80 years old;

3. And I'm friend of a well known Portuguese tv journalist -- our wifes are coleagues and close friends

4. Portuguese well known writer (even considered for a Nobel prize), António Lobo Antunes -- a very nice and warm person, who even very tired takes the time to answer stupid questions...

now for international celebrities:

1. Morris, the late creator of comics cowboy Lucky Luke -- I asked for a drawing, but he was in a hurry and only signed me a comic book :) ;

2. Dave McKean -- also a comic book drawer

3. there are many other copmic books authors I've met, but don't remember them all -- many of them were from Spain;

4. Niko McBrain, drummer from Heavy Metal band Iron Maiden, a very nice gentleman (I went to a workshop of his with my brother);

5. Billy Shehan (I think it writes this way), bassist for Mr. Big, wonderful guy;

6. Steve Harris, also from Iron Maiden, bass player;

7. Steve Vai, electric guitar virtuoso;

8. Jennifer Batten, guitar player for Michael Jackson, and got an autograph too

Most of this hard rock/heavy metal musicians I met through my brother, who besides being a acomplished classic guitar player, also plays the electric bass on rock bands and studio orchestras

Oh God,

Where do I start? I live in West Hollywood, work on films and go to parties. Some of them are friends, others I see all the time.....

Dutoit, wow! I was lucky enough to see him conduct the OSM in his day. He's probably the greatest music director Canada's been lucky enough to have. What was he like? I have heard nothing too good about his personal and professional manner.

Well, he was surprisingly gracious about it. In truth, I was on my way in an awful hurry! He's a lot shorter than he looks up on the podium. Then again, I guess I'm kind of a tall guy. And everyone looks short as they're going down on their ass. I hear he's quite a lady's man, but he gets really, really angry when journalists allude to it. I've always wondered about Chantal Juillet, though. Can't say as I'd blame him, if you know what I mean.

I've seen Dutoit conduct many, many times. Possibly dozens. I do have his autograph (got it well before the crash), but never did get to know him personally. He's a very fine conductor. I really cherish his recordings of French music, especially. I've heard him in Messiaen, Roussel, Debussy (La damoiselle elue, with Dawn Upshaw), and many others.

I am really sorry to hear about his recent huffy departure from Montreal. Theirs was one of the great collaborations. It is all too rare for a conductor to devote so much time to one ensemble these days. I will miss not having any new recordings.

Robertson Davies is like a god to me. He must have been antiquated, even in his day, but his largeness of spirit is timeless. I admire everything about him.

D'oh. :cry2:

I forgot someone important:

Jeff Smith [Creator: Bone Comics], Convention: Comic-Con, San Diego CA ? 2002

And a long time ago...

Gov. Richard (Dick) Cheney [Former Gov. Wyoming, Vice-President of U.S.], First Rocky Mountain Bank, Green River WYO - 1984

~ Lord Gibson, who thinks Wyoming is Bonville :)

I've seen Dutoit conduct many, many times.  Possibly dozens.  I do have his autograph (got it well before the crash), but never did get to know him personally.  He's a very fine conductor.  I really cherish his recordings of French music, especially. I will miss not having any new recordings.

Robertson Davies is like a god to me.  He must have been antiquated, even in his day, but his largeness of spirit is timeless.  I admire everything about him.

Agreed and agreed.

JW-concert

Charlton Heston-book signing.

Dan Castellaneta (voice of Homer) -sighting

Beauty and the Beast musical cast -sighting

Animaniacs (cartoon voice actor)-autograph signing and sighting

I have seen Gregory Peck up close and personal since I physically bumped into the man. He was filming the Blue and the Grey, at the University of Arkansas, back in the late 70's or early 80's. I also stood next to Stacy Keach. I have seen a few minor people

Tim Daly of Storm of the Century, Wings, and the New Fugitive. Saw him in Beverly Hills coming out of a mens store.

I saw Molly Ringwald at the Cheesecake Factory in BH too.

Met the former President Bill Clinton numerous times. Nice man, remembered my name is Joe. He is brilliant about remembering names I am told.

Saw Charlie Sheen filming here in North Little Rock.

Caught a glimpse of Barbra Streisand in LR during the Clinton elections. (She is not minor).

seen Mary Steenbergen alot, but she lives here. Say Cybil Shepperd in Memphis

See! Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Kirk Douglas -- these are the people I want to see. Not Ashanti. :)

Figo, who was so far away when he saw Mel Gibson he could hardly tell it was him.

7. Steve Vai, electric guitar virtuoso;

Where did you see him? My friend introduced me to some of Vai's music, and I'm really starting to get into him

Mmmm, well, let´s see...

Johnny boy... 4 times

Yo Yo Ma(cellist)

Tony Gwynn(right fielder, San Diego Padres)

Patrick Stewart(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Martin Sheen(at the 2001 Williams concert, Hollywood Bowl)

Paul Winfield(Trek II)

James Taylor(at the Hollywood Bowl)

Alfre Woodard(Trek: First Contact)

Matt Groening(Woohooo!!!!)(The Simpsons)

JOhn Carpenter(filmmaker)

Sam Raimi(director, SpiderMan)

Bob Costas(sportscaster)

Randy Johnson(pitcher Arizona Diamondbacks)

Curt Schilling(pithcer, Arizona Diamondbacks)

Barry Bonds(left fielder, San Franciso Giants)

Trevor Hoffman(pitcher, San Diego Padres)

Rickey Henderson(left fielder, San Diego Padres...currently, Boston Red Sox)

Pedro Martinez(pitcher, Boston Red Sox)

Nomar Garciaparra(shortstop, Boston Red Sox)

Derek Jeter(shortstop, New York Yankees)

Bernie Williams(centerfielder, New York Yankees)

Jason Giambi(1st baseman, New York Yankees)

Hey Hector,

I got to meet Pete Rose once.

Got his autograph

cost me $12.00.

Met Hakeem Olajuwon too, rode an elevator with him at the University of Arkansas. Tall guy.

Wow!!!! That's so cool!!!!

I think MLB should lift the banfrom the Hall of Fame... it'snot as if he wasbetting againsthis team, if he ever did.

Oh, I forgot Fernando Valenzuela... when he was witht the Padres.

Todd McFarlane (Spawn creator)

I saw Rose play back in the '70s, for what it's worth. :roll:

Figo, who has little interest in baseball, but loves playing and especially enjoys movies about the sport.