47 members have voted

1. 1.

• Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    • Superman Returns

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it scary that so many people are choosing Superman Returns.  

Ted

Why? It works pretty well in the movie, which one couldn't say about Goblet. While it's a good music and a solid album (not counting songs at the end) it doesn't really do anything in the picture. As for Ottman, his simplified version of love theme is justified, given the overall tone of the film. Besides, it has some enthusiasm, which is lacking in many scores nowadays. Regardless of its quality. So my vote would be SR.

Karol

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy this music and don't have problems with thematic consistency of the HP series, but for me Doyle tried to much. His music doesn't have to be that big and loud. Azkaban was scored in a more intimate manner, and look how effective it is in the movie. it may not be as entertaining (or memorable) music to listen to, but you couldn't possibly question its effectivness. And Ottman, despite his probably inferior musical abilities, knows how to use music in the picture.

Karol

Azkaban was scored in a more intimate manner

What?!

it [Azkaban] may not be as entertaining (or memorable) music to listen to,

What?!

His music doesn't have to be that big and loud.

Huh?

Of course it has to be more big and loud than PoA...the events of PoA are of Harry coming to realize his past, his heritage, and himself. GoF is the reshaping of the world of Hogwarts.

but you couldn't possibly question its [Azkaban's] effectivness.

That was probably the only wise comment made in that post.

Well. If you take "Harry's Wondrous World" and "Window to the past" and compare them, then you'll probably understand better what I meant about scale. The themes are more introverted, and it's actually a very good thing. And the finale isn't excactly "Dueling the Basilisk" type of thing, isn't it?

Of course it has to be more big and loud than PoA...the events of PoA are of Harry coming to realize his past, his heritage, and himself. GoF is the reshaping of the world of Hogwarts.

maybe, but if it is to continue in that manner, then I fear of what we might hear in the seventh picture. Wagner opera maybe?

Karol

I would be monstrous, so I would say yes. I wouldn't help the picture IMO. I don't think that the big and loud orchestra makes things epic, really.

On the contrary many people here have stated Azkaban would have been a more effective score if it had kept a stronger thematic tie with the first 2 scores.

Maybe, but would the old themes really fit there? it's a very different movie from the first two. Most of the people have the problem with the lack of development of Anakin's Theme in AOTC and ROTS. But I wouldn't know where to put it. I don't think that sticking to closely to themetic integrity is a wise thing. It only makes scores less original. On the long term, I mean.

Karol

Most of the people have the problem with the lack of development of Anakin's Theme in AOTC and ROTS. But I wouldn't know where to put it.

Any place in the film that has Anakin dealing with his destiny would be a good place to use that theme, growing progressivly darker and darker untill it's Vader's Theme!

At least that's what the plan was untill Lucas changed it!

Or maybe Johnny couldn't figure out how to develop/mature it into the sinister evil of Darth Vader....since Ani seemed to grow more and more into a whiny baby with the progression of the prequels.

At least that's what the plan was untill Lucas changed it!

Where excactly did you read/heard that? I remember that Anakin's Theme was supposed to foreshadow Imperial march in TPM, but I don't remember anything been said about its further development in the following films.

Karol

As for Ottman, his simplified version of love theme is justified, given the overall tone of the film.

I suppose his dumbing down the Love Theme is "justified" in the sense of keeping with the idea of a half-@$$ed version of Superman: The Movie.

I remember that Anakin's Theme was supposed to foreshadow Imperial march in TPM, but I don't remember anything been said about its further development in the following films.

Karol

Anakin's theme was orriginally supposed to turn more mature and darker in the other 2 films, eventually morphing into The Imperial March.

If you listen to Anakin's Theme closely you can easily hear the references to Darth Vaders March.

It's very clever, too clever I guess, since Lucas went for a big lovetheme instead.

I suppose his dumbing down the Love Theme is "justified" in the sense of keeping with the idea of a half-@$$ed version of Superman: The Movie.

I didn't say that I like Ottman's version, which is awkward to say the least. I only think that its somewhat troubled appearances in this score are ok, when you realize that it's not the same relationship as it was before. The new version is less lush and innocent, and so is the love between Superman and Lois Lane in SR. Somewhat.

If you listen to Anakin's Theme closely you can easily hear the references to Darth Vaders March.  

I know that, but I don't remember any OFFICIAL statement (from Williams or anyone elese) that would confirm that Williams indeed intended to expand the theme in the subsequent pictures. Can you? Since his thematic writing is more sparse recently, maybe he didn't want to do that at all.

Karol

But there is another interview with Williams (which I believe is quite recent, although I can't remember exactly where it was) where he definitely said that he tried to morph Anakin's theme into Vader's "just for the fun of it, to see if I could pull it off."

Too bad :)

Either way, I tried always to trace any possible information about Williams an his scores, but I really don't remember this one. But I might have missed something.

Karol

Is that the same interview were he claims that untill 2002 Star wars never had a love theme?

No. Although it might have been the one where he said Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was the first Potter movie to feature choir... :)

Is that the same interview were he claims that untill 2002 Star wars never had a love theme?

Well, if you think of ESB love as a Hans Solo theme (it's credited as such a few times in the liner notes from 1997 release) then you might state that SW didn't have a straightforward love theme before AOTC. From certain point of view. But it's a weak argument, I believe.

Karol

Rubbish!

Princess Leia = Love Theme!

Han Solo & The Princess = Love Theme!

Luke and Leia = Love theme!

And what about that sad clarinet solo in TESB when Chewie is in the Bespin Cell and starts to put C3PO together again? = Love Theme!

Rubbish!  

Princess Leia = Love Theme!  

Han Solo & The Princess = Love Theme!  

Luke and Leia = Love theme!  

And what about that sad clarinet solo in TESB when Chewie is in the Bespin Cell and starts to put C3PO together again? = Love Theme!

Yeah, but look to the liner notes. It's labeled once or twice as "solo's theme". Somewhere in the beginning of Matessiono's notes. It's not my statement really. And I know it's a LOVE THEME ultimately. :)

Karol

On the contrary many people here have stated Azkaban would have been a more effective score if it had kept a stronger thematic tie with the first 2 scores.

But only Harry's Wondrous World could have been carried over. Voldemort's theme, Fawkes theme, the Diagon Alley motif, the Platform 9 3/4 motif and the Stone theme all had no place in the movie. :?

Well, yes, but they are anal, unimaginative, poor bastards. The magic in Azkaban goes far beyond the magic in Sorcerer's Stone.

Besides, all continuity was already ruined the previous movie. I would ask of those members to explain where exactly in the film do they think that a pre-existing theme would work better than any of the new ones.

But only Harry's Wondrous World could have been carried over. Voldemort's theme, Fawkes theme, the Diagon Alley motif, the Platform 9 3/4 motif and the Stone theme all had no place in the movie. :?

Well, the Stone theme had no place in CoS but it managed to find its way in there anyway.

Well, the Stone theme had no place in CoS but it managed to find its way in there anyway.

But CoS didnt get JW's full attention, and the stone theme at least sounded evil...:P

The score for Superman Returns was a respectful homage to JW's brilliant original but JW's music will always be the best in my heart. I especially love the cue for Pa Kent's funeral and the one used to underscore Superman's farewell to his mother prior to leaving for the Arctic.

I wonder what Mr Ottman would do with the Superman / Wonder Woman / The Invisible Man threesome scenario? Food for thought, guys.

There are some moments in ROTS were it feels like Williams got to a point where he figured he'd just throw some music from Star Wars & TESB in the movie and it wouldn't even matter.