It's the real thing, people. I contacted Howard Shore regarding this video. Here is his answer:

Hey, BB!

I'm glad you asked me this. It is indeed the real thing! I know this sound a little bit different from what I composed for The Lord Of The Rings, but PJ and I wanted to create a new sound for Middle-Earth. You should have seen Peter's face when he first listened to it. It was like: "WTF?" LOL! But he liked it instantly.

I can tell you there'll be a lot more synths in the scores. I know people complained we overused the orchestra in LOTR. Be sure I corrected that. And you can expect some guitar riffs as well.

I'll keep you inform on the progress of the score.

See you soon!

XOXO

Mr. S.

You missed the part where Shore mentioned the foghorn sounds from Inception will definitely make some appearances in the score!

WITH UNRELEASED MUSIC, FUCK YEAH!

MORE unreleased music? What will it be? Will it turn out to be that an entire new set of themes never saw that light of day. Shore would have to compose new hours of score just to fill up the endless releases LOTR keeps getting :P

And I would still buy that!

OK, how many pieces will have Minas Tirith? And Barad-Dûr?

we wants it!....yes, precious, we wants the castles of evil men and filthy orcses....we must keep the fat cruel hobbitses away....yes, my precious....

You missed the part where Shore mentioned the foghorn sounds from Inception will definitely make some appearances in the score!

Ah, yes, everytime Smaug appears on screen. That's a brilliant idea. Smaug... Foghorn... Get it? Get it?

Brilliant :P

Scary thing is, I can totally imagine Smaug appearing on screen with his foghorn.

MORE unreleased music? What will it be? Will it turn out to be that an entire new set of themes never saw that light of day. Shore would have to compose new hours of score just to fill up the endless releases LOTR keeps getting :P

And I would still buy that!

Who wouldn't? And I'm sure it will include the long-awaited concert suites of the Fellowship, Gondor and Reclamation of Nature's themes, plus themes for Tom Bombadil, the barrow-wight, Ghân-Buri-Ghân and Prince Imrahil!

And a theme for Goldberry, one for Guthlaf, another for Radbug, one for Hirluin and maybe a fun motif for Forlong the Fat. Boy, we're missing quite a bit aren't we?

OK, how many pieces will have Minas Tirith? And Barad-Dûr?

we wants it!....yes, precious, we wants the castles of evil men and filthy orcses....we must keep the fat cruel hobbitses away....yes, my precious....

No! It's mine! My own!! Gollum! Golllum! Stupid fat K.K.!

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little JWfanses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

- No. Not master!

Yes, precious, false! He will cheat you, hurt you, LIE.

- BloodBoal is our friend!

You don't have any friends; nobody likes you!

- I'm not listening... I'm not listening...

You're a liar and a thief.

- No!

*Murderer*.

- Go away!

Or if Gandalf were here, he would put it much eloquently:

"Fool of a Boal! Next time throw yourself in and rid us of your stupidity!"

- KK

Oh no, where is the starfish?

Without a doubt the most burning question of our age perhaps.

I love how forlorn and miserable Martin Freeman looks as Bilbo in the second picture. I bet he is wishing he was back in his nice old Hobbit hole, and not for the last time.

But I have to ask again why the hell does that one Dwarf have an axe head stuck to his own? It looks really corny and ridiculous, more likely to kill him than leave him alive with half a brain. PJ went a bit overboard with some of these details that give the Dwarves unique personality.

I'm a bit worried about the dwarves too, but I understand PJ's reasoning. I mean the idea of filming the Hobbit in itself poses a million difficulties (LOTR was pretty unfilm-able too, and then he did it). After all, its pretty difficult for the audience to connect to 13 different dwarves. Even being the intense LOTR fan that I am, I cannot name all 13 dwarves in one try.

Regardless, there are some weird designs for the dwarves that are kind of freaking me out. I'm really worried that the Hobbit might just be too comical...

- KK

There's a difference between comedic and too comedic. Theres a line. The Shire parts of the Fellowship of the Ring are comedic, but I'm afraid that Jackson might be pushing the line here...

There's a difference between comedic and too comedic. Theres a line. The Shire parts of the Fellowship of the Ring are comedic, but I'm afraid that Jackson might be pushing the line here...

You realise of course that you are talking about a children's book being adapted for a movie. Yes?

But I have to ask again why the hell does that one Dwarf have an axe head stuck to his own? It looks really corny and ridiculous, more likely to kill him than leave him alive with half a brain. PJ went a bit overboard

This I do agree with. I'm not a fan of the axe either. It just looks ugly.

With that said, K.K. shares my general standpoint where the dwarven designs are concerned.

You realise of course that you are talking about a children's book being adapted for a movie. Yes?

Of course. But Peter Jackson and crew are clearly targetting more mature audiences with the film. This isn't meant to be some silly film for children. This is supposed to be another epic film that recalls the glory of LOTR (which in itself is difficult because the context signifies nothing of the sort).

In the meantime, I'm am extremely excited for the Hobbit trailer coming up!

- KK

This isn't meant to be some silly film for children.

I think children should be able to see this one. And the film should be funny and not silly.

This is supposed to be another epic film that recalls the glory of LOTR (which in itself is difficult because the context signifies nothing of the sort).

Well, in a perfect world this would be like a fun, more casual Fellowship mixed up with the best from The Two Towers. In moments like the spiders scene my preferred tone would be to make it scary, yet to find the funny and adventurous side of our ragtag band of heroes in such an absurd situation.

Making The Hobbit into LotR would be the first thing ever to make me say they raped my childhood.

The entire Shelob sequence was WAY better in the book than in the movie. And the worst part was it was already written to be so cinematic, I dunno why they felt compelled to change it so much

The entire Shelob sequence was WAY better in the book than in the movie. And the worst part was it was already written to be so cinematic, I dunno why they felt compelled to change it so much

Tolkien spends almost a page telling his reader that Shelob was more then just a big spider. a malignant evil from ancient times in spider form.

The film CAN'T do that. So Shelob remains a big spider.

It also does not help that in TTT this was bacically the cliffhanger, and because of the different structure of the films this takes place in the middle of ROTK.

What a tiny imagination you have.

PJ's first mistake with the whole Shelob thing was to make it look like a Funnel Web. A "realistic depiction" of a spider.

Fuck that shit. There's scarier spiders in Harry Potter.

I only hope he makes amends (and heals wounds) with the spiders in The Hobbit.

FANTASY.

The spiders in the Hobbit are probably going to be more fantasy like. I think I read somewhere they made parts of them Del Toro style, with animatronics. But that's old, I mean we don't know how they'll be in the end.

Tolkien spends almost a page telling his reader that Shelob was more then just a big spider. a malignant evil from ancient times in spider form.

The film CAN'T do that. So Shelob remains a big spider.

It also does not help that in TTT this was bacically the cliffhanger, and because of the different structure of the films this takes place in the middle of ROTK.

I'm not talking about describing the scene, I'm talking about what happens in the sequence, the actual plot of the scene. The way things happen in the book is vastly superior to what happens in the movie.

I'm nowhere near as excited as I would like. My interest on his film peaked long ago. It's been too damn long. Not as long as other films I've been waiting, but still.

However, a trailer like this would make my day anyway.

You mean, "I am less then half as excited about this as half as well as I should like, and I am excited by less than half of this half as well as this deserves." or... something like that.

Shelob scene in RotK was a bit underwhelming in places but I also understand that depicting a demonic supernatural spider who is the progeny of basically the darkness incarnate without the help of all knowing narrator voice explaining her lineage is very difficult. The creature could weave shadow and darkness itself into webs and belch shadowy fumes that put out all but the brightest light. Seeing that on screen would have been great. But I think PJ somehow stuck to his "Middle Earth has to feel real" doctrine with Shelob and saw her just as a spider though a gigantic one. Also the fear (quite unfounded) of confusing the audience with demonic spider character that has horrible supernatural powers might have been on his mind. Shelob design was not too much to my liking, John Howe's classic depictions closer to what I always thought of she should look like. PJ went again overboard with his love for ugly baddies and grotesque characters (Gothmog anyone?) with Shelob's facial features.

I think PJ giving her too much of a personality was a problem, the design took away the scary bits of a spider and gave it fantasy features (the eyes, the growths, the quad fangs) and it was underwhelming. The only it when she was convincingly scary was when you saw her appear out of the hole legs first and stalk him - because that creepy crawly fit into any space feeling is what people hate abuout spiders.