I haven't booked tickets yet but I am probably going to see it sometime next weekend.

That one to be fair was a poorly-written review.

Why do you consider it poorly-written? Is it because the reviewer doesn't go into detail about what he didn't like in the film, or is it because of something else?

Seeing it with my sister on Thursday 18:30

You have a sister, now?

That one to be fair was a poorly-written review.

Why do you consider it poorly-written? Is it because the reviewer doesn't go into detail about what he didn't like in the film, or is it because of something else?

The mocking of the Tolkien terms and language is very childish, you have to admit that. Suggests he was never going to like this if he can't get past things like that.

Another thing that I felt was a drawback was a number of foreshadowing of moments in The Lord of the Rings that felt like very heavy-handed fan-service callbacks.

I guess PJ didn't learn his lesson... :shakehead:

I read it up till the spoiler mark. Seems like a much more balanced review.

Another thing that I felt was a drawback was a number of foreshadowing of moments in The Lord of the Rings that felt like very heavy-handed fan-service callbacks.

I guess PJ didn't learn his lesson... :shakehead:

Don't you think the track named "Kingsfoil", and the end of said track already clearly indicates one of the callbacks?

I wonder if I'll manage to watch the extended cut of AUJ before DoS.

You sound like you're just deliberately putting it off now. Just watch it. It can't hurt (apart from the Goblin song). You never know, you might have some kind of epiphany and realize a deep love for the film was always hidden within.

Or not.

After a few listens it becomes tolerable. I've heard and seen worse.

I thought it just became worse with each listen. :P

After a few listens it becomes tolerable. I've heard and seen worse.

I thought it just became worse with each listen. :P

You guys will learn to love it when it opens Disc 3 of the complete recordings.

Ok, watched the EE now with commentary track, then went back for the extended spots without PJ. I felt the only section profiting from the extensions was Rivendell. The naked dwarves, even if it's just few seconds, looked awful (the CGI). Worse than the Goblin King's song even. Everything else didn't need to be extended really.

I'm calling it now: all you guys who dislike AUJ will dislike DOS. Possibly more, possibly less, but I'd be very surprised if you did a 180 on this franchise.

I feel like AUJ was flawed, but I didn't dislike it. I was also a little bit ruined by high expectations, based on both Jackson's LOTR trilogy and the original source novel (which I hold in much higher esteem than LOTR).

Certain things felt like great "extended edition" material, which was added back into the film to pad it when they made the call to switch from 2 films to 3. Off the top of my head, Frodo in the prologue, "Blunt the Knives," the invention of golf dialogue, the stone giants. All of them are interesting, somewhat-pulled-from-the-book additions that would have made good EE material, but which don't do an awful lot to further the plot of the movie, and just serve to slow down the main drive. I am grateful that I got to see the stone giants on the big screen, though, since I think that was the best effect of the movie.

I had no problems with any of Jackson's non-novel additions, excepting possibly the guano in Radagast's beard. I don't foresee having any problems with Tauriel and her suitors, although my fear would be that Jackson and co. would try to do something too sameish to Aragorn/Arwen. Outside of the lumpiness of the storytelling, my only big issue was the overreliance on CGI, and/or the processing of the film so that even things which aren't CGI LOOK like CGI. It's a problem I have with a lot of movies, including Return of the King and, to some extent, The Two Towers.

I look forward to, hopefully, liking DoS and TaBA, as much as or more than AUJ. I have to say, my hope of liking it as much as FOTR or the other LOTR, has passed.

Looks like lots of EPIC FIGHTS, EXPLOSIONS, FIRE, DANGER, MAGIC AND STUFF!!!! WOHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That new Bolg looks bland compared to the prosthetics one.

Smaug looks REALLY different (in a good way) compared to the first time we saw it in the first trailer.

I quite like the shot of the army leaving Dol Guldur at 0'03.

Overall, it's a cool TV spot. Much better than all the ones that came before it.

Yeah, I liked that one. Some cool things to look forward to.