I actually like the theme very much and find myself humming it quite often. Nothing wrong with that song. I would love to hear a full male choir arrangement (not necessarily in the films) of the whole song/poem from the book with varying moods for drama.

I love that theme and I don't have a problem with how much it was used in the film either. It'd would have been cool if Shore had written it but whatever it sounds good.

The theme is wonderful. I know some thought it overused, but I don't really subscribe to that. Yes I'd have liked to have heard that 'Edge of the Wild' motif worked in a bit more but there may still be time for that.

Going off AUJ, I don't think I agree but maybe he'll improve the orcs.

There wasn't any CG orcs in AUJ, as far as I remember (it was all prosthetics). CG goblins, yes. And they looked great.

Azog was CGI, wasn't he? I thought both he and the goblins looked cartoony, and like they didn't occupy the same physical space as the actors.

I'm glad I've grown up with CG and that it's been an almost constant feature of my cinema going youth because it really doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Most of Azog's band have CGI faces in AUJ, and there's a couple in the Moria battle who do.

I don't mind CGI but it needs to look convincing. Some of the faces in AUJ didn't really do it for me. There's a particular one in Azog's group with a weird nose who I didn't like, always thought he in particular looked too cartoony.

I'm glad I've grown up with CG and that it's been an almost constant feature of my cinema going youth because it really doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Personally the more I'm used to CG, the less convincing I find it. And this is coming from a guy who's earliest film experiences included JURASSIC PARK.

Going off AUJ, I don't think I agree but maybe he'll improve the orcs.

There wasn't any CG orcs in AUJ, as far as I remember (it was all prosthetics). CG goblins, yes. And they looked great.

Azog was CGI, wasn't he? I thought both he and the goblins looked cartoony, and like they didn't occupy the same physical space as the actors.

Right on

But Radagast sends the eagle to go pick up Gandalf in FotR, doesn't he? Even though it happens offscreen.

That's what happens in the book. But in the film, Gandalf summons the Gwaihir with his magical moth of Doom!

I always figured the moth went to Radagast, who sent Gwaihir. Did everyone else understand that differently? It's never really adequately explained in the film either way.

I thought exactly the same thing.

In LotR films the moth fetches help for Gandalf with no assistance from Radagast. It is one moment where they can show Gandalf's subtle magic and resourcefulness. At lleast that is how we are meant to understand it because in LotR films Radagast is not once mentioned and does really not exist. In the novel it is obvious that Gwaihir, who was sent by Radagast to Isengard as a messenger to Saruman (and Gandalf he thought) was there by fortuitous accident (or by fate) to carry Gandalf from his captivity.

Those who have read the novel might naturally assume that it was somehow Radagast's doing that Gwaihir arrives to Isengard to rescue Gandalf but actually there is no reference to that in the films.

Who knows what kind of round-about explanation they are going to device in the Hobbit films. I hope it doesn't involve moths.

Interesting, I didn't remember exactly how it played out in the book, apart from Radagast having sent Gwaihir. Thanks for elaborating!

Who knows what kind of round-about explanation they are going to device in the Hobbit films. I hope it doesn't involve moths

Come one, you know it'll involve moths. There aren't enough connections with LOTR! We need more connections! More connections! We need to see Gloin going back home at the end of TABA to play with baby Gimli, we need to see Saruman getting the Palantir in Dol Guldur (because it's so fun to ruin any kind of surprise that there could be when watching FOTR for the first time after this trilogy), we need to see Gollum getting out of his cave, we need to see Bard offering boots to Leggy (that will be the same he's wearing in LOTR! That'd be so fucking cool!)... More connections!

Careful there Messenger, you have a tendency to foretell Doom rather accurately. And I would put none of those ideas past the capabilities of Jackson's mind....so don't you curse these remaining films while they still have some hope!

The information that the theme from the trailer was not Shore's was a bad omen.

We should have seen it coming.

Ironically, when it was thought that the theme was composed by Shore, this forum loved the theme.

I love the the theme. The only thing is, it's a bit of a static melody, and not one that is very malleable, so when you hear all those statements played ad nauseum in the film, it's both overbearing and less impressive to hear. Unlike the Fellowship theme, which gets much more showtime in FotR but works better when integrated into the bigger musical picture.

The Misty Mountains Theme is terrific, who gives a flying Ghundabad Orc who wrote it?

So let's take bets - will it return in DOS, or not?

Oh I am sure it will return. It is the hummable "fellowship" theme of this trilogy.

Didn't Doug say it will retreat as the trilogy progresses?

Not sure where I read that though. These Hobbit threads are deep chasms of horrific thoughts, ideas, and - sadly - realities.

Well...I wouldn't go that far. Shore didn't make the Plan 9 theme the centerpiece of AUJ as I thought he would. So the Misty Mountains theme isn't quite the Fellowship theme of this new trilogy. I believe it will only be used sparingly from this point forwards.

Not sure where I read that though. These Hobbit threads are deep chasms of horrific thoughts, ideas, and - sadly - realities.

I have no memory of this comment by Doug. Nothing even remotely like that.

Definitely. The masses love it. I just don't think Shore will use and integrate it as prominently as the he did with the Fellowship theme.

Then how did I come by this information?

Then how did I come by this information?

In Dreams!

When the cold of Winter comes

Starless night will cover day

In the veiling of the sun

We will walk in bitter rain

(Isn't this somewhat prophetic considering the current feelings on the MB about the whole scoring process?)

But in dreams

(But in dreams)

I can hear your name (Pope)

And in dreams

(And in dreams)

We will meet again

Definitely. The masses love it. I just don't think Shore will use and integrate as prominently as the he did with the Fellowship theme.

Shore probably wouldn't, Jackson might want it. I don't really mind though.

Doug spoke to gkgyver in a dream?

Wishful dreams of course. GK wants the Misty Mountains Theme to go away and be supplanted by Shore's own theme from Edge of the Wild and hey presto, he recalls some half-remembered dream where Doug said something to that effect. Elementary my dear KK. ;)

Wishful dreams of course. GK wants the Misty Mountains Theme to go away and be supplanted by Shore's own theme from Edge of the Wild and hey presto, he recalls some half-remembered dream where Doug said something to that effect. Elementary my dear KK. ;)

Ahhh, I see.

Question: Did Doug take the form of a horse? ;)

I'm sure Freud would have had much to say about the people on this forum.

Ahhh, I see.

Question: Did Doug take the form of a horse? ;)

I'm sure Freud would have much to say about the people on this forum.

I'm sure regular people would have much to say about the people on this forum.

And there it comes! A completely above board high brow discussion shot to pieces by one joker! We are talking about dreams and music here! :pfft:

:stick: Grumble, grumble. Hoom, hum, harrumph!

Thank you for your support! And for making that gesture. I was too befuddled to remember to add my catch phrase to that last post.

:lol:

No I can't watch that scene anymore without that thought in my mind!

It's the same as with when PJ's DVD commentary ruined the ending of RotK for me. The scene with Gollum and the Ring at Mt. Doom. :crymore:

Having a bit of fun, KK?

It's this stupid quoting system...I can't seem to delete the quotes I don't want without deleting the whole thing. And then when I tried copying and pasting it in, the old stuff wouldn't go away!

I still miss the old system :(

I'm surprised nobody has commented yet on how present Shore is in the EE appendices really is. Any news on that?

I haven't seen them yet, does he feature much?

I'm surprised nobody has commented yet on how present Shore is in the EE appendices really is. Any news on that?

I haven't seen them yet, does he feature much?

We trying to gather spy reports from those who have seen the extras to establish that. No spies have been forthcoming with info yet. Which means that we have not been working hard enough to scour the interwebs for all the news on the EE!

I hope to have time to watch the new appendixes tomorrow.

Am I the only one here who has seen the EE film? It's been out for a week you know!