I'm pulling for the Mirkwood Elves to sing a piece composed by Shore that really feels as though it were written in Middle-Earth, steeped in all that faint sorrow and melancholy that Tolkien writes about, and which then appears during the credits in an otherworldly a capella choral version.

I'm entirely serious. I'd love this.

I ordered a copy of The Annotated Hobbit. Anyone have it? Is it worth it?

Definitely worth it!

Thanks! I'm reading The Silmarilion at the moment and I'm thinking of going through some of the History of Middle-Earth, History of the Hobbit stuff when I'm done. I'm catching up on the Tolkien thread so I'll use that from here on in :P

I don't think you can judge the splitting into a trilogy based on AUJ. It was simply too long and slow to get started. It could have been cut down but ending at the same point and still leave a trilogy.

Right, but the root problem is that Jackson doesn't know what to keep and what to cut anymore. Since he's directing parts 2 and 3 as well, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he'll make exactly the same sorts of mistakes on those films as well. Also, the man is positively filled with stupid ideas.

BTW Apparently, the DOS prologue is going to be around The Battle of Anazilbizar (or whatever).

In the Dec issue of EMPIRE magazine it states "Christian Rivers is filming the second film 's prologue, in which dwarves and orcs, (provisionally stunt men in grey leotards with large tubes on their heads that stand in for eye-line,) are making their grievances felt. Later, Rivers seeks out Jackson's advice on the best way for Jeffrey Thomas' Thror to fall over. Towards the camera is the swift conclusion."

Frodo's parents, for some reason People are speculating they will have a part in the story, not sure where it came from (perhaps from the scene that is in the AUJ EE of the party, before it was confirmed to be a scene with young Bilbo or something?

I can't imagine what Frodo's parents will have to do with anything at all in these movies

The only people in the new party scene are Gandalf, Bilbo, and Belladonna Took

The only people in the new party scene are Gandalf, Bilbo, and Belladonna Took

I get that.

But you know how speculation can get!

Apparently, the guy cast as Alfrid was originally cast as Drogo, so that is where this Idea came from.

Empire on Mirkwood:

Chief obstacle to dwarven progress is Mirkwood, Tolkien's impossibly vast and much-corrupted forest, which in Peter Jackson's devilish hands has been reborn as a hallucinogenic nightmare. "We spent weeks basically stoned," laughs Armitage, "acting stone obviously...or on acid." The fetid air is alive with mushroom spores, sending the party into a delirium. This labyrinth of tormented trees came painted in outlandish hues that will twist and warp to make Fangorn seem as threatening as Hundred Acre Wood.

Well, it makes more sense for the Dwarves to be hallucinating, then having Elves feasting in Spider territory.

Both are stupid ideas. Tolkien just knew it could work in a children's book about an enchanted forest. Jackson, however, doesn't seem to know what works in a movie you try to sell as serious.

It's rather unbelievable just how goofy PJ is getting with things. What is bloody going on in his brain?

And no one has mentioned it's his birthday today. Happy birthday, Peter!