I can't wait to see the wild boars, Bunnies Of Doom and flying monkeys in this one. Yay...

Don't forget the accursed Nazgul tombs and shots of Killi giggling and blushing at the sight of Tauriel...oh I think I'm gonnna be sick...

Perhaps Bilbo wearing the Ring has the power through it to understand the Spiders' communication.

Bull pucky. I want spiders with moving mouth parts when they speak.

I want a spider to capture Bilbo and write SOME TERRIFIC RADIANT HUMBLE HOBBIT in her web above his cocooned form.

And how about embroidery? Do you think they'll do that in the film, in the woods, to pass time between killing and spinning cocoons for victims? I do hope so. Or some nice lace work! Oh that would be wonderful! Just wonderful!

Now I have a relevant question. Who would you like to sing the end credits song?

and shots of Killi giggling and blushing at the sight of Tauriel...

You just have to imagine the worst possible option, don't you?

Exactly what I was thinking. I think it was with Listen to the Wind that she got me. I think she could pull off the "dadadaa, dadá-dada dada daa" in a dreamy fashion quite well. Or probably a different melody altogether.

and shots of Killi giggling and blushing at the sight of Tauriel...

You just have to imagine the worst possible option, don't you?

Of course, its my job ;)

Now I have a relevant question. Who would you like to sing the end credits song?

I've been thinking about that for quite a while now, and I'd like Hayley Westenra to do one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FdpJDu158g

That would be a great choice if Shore is still sticking with adding a Celtic tilt to all his end credits song.

That would be a great choice if Shore is still sticking with adding a Celtic tilt to all his end credits song.

There was no Celtic tilt in LOTR end credits song! At least noT in Gollum's Song and Into The West.

And May It Be just had Enya who simply happens to be Irish.

OK PJ is officially going for Warhammer Fantasy Battle Dwarves. Connolly might look something like this:

640x882_4041_Dwarf_slayer_for_warhammer_online_2d_fantasy_dwarf_warrior_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

OK PJ is officially going for Warhammer Fantasy Battle Dwarves. Connolly might look something like this:

Have you forgotten about the beardless dwarves or what?

It will be some kind of unholy combination of Warhammer and PJs fetishistic "cool" vision of Dwarves I tell you. It makes me sick!

At the end of the day Jackson is an incredibly smart film maker who realises that he's making a movie full of dwarves with big roles and that from an audience perspective telling who from who - no matter how many configurations of stout and bearded the artists can come up with - could potentially be really confusing and unwieldy. It isn't just a case of pissing off the purists; Jackson is doing what must be done to make the story work in straightforward film language. That is of paramount importance. He knows what's best for the movie more than the fans do and no amount of whining and doom mongering will ever convince me of otherwise.

The man made The Lord of the Rings.

Come on! Give a little bit in to the doom mongering. Doom mongering's your friend! A pessimist will never be disappointed!

640x882_4041_Dwarf_slayer_for_warhammer_online_2d_fantasy_dwarf_warrior_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

I'm going to blow your mind: I'd be perfectly happy for Jackson to interpret Dane Ironfoot in such a way. Connolly would explode with character and memborability, he would be a vision on screen. I honestly hope they've gone down that route.

At the end of the day Jackson is an incredibly smart film maker who realises that he's making a movie full of dwarves with big roles and that from an audience perspective telling who from who - no matter how many configurations of stout and bearded the artists can come up with - could potentially be really confusing and unwieldy.

I'm OK with the principle, but not with the execution.

Yeap I pretty much agree. Making these characters so outrageously individual and quite different from the LotR dwarves is bordering on obsession with the film makers. Plus not all of the Dwarves need an equal share of the screen time or glory since that will be impossible with 15 main characters anyway. Plus now there will be other Dwarf characters who sound like they will be torn from pages of completely different aesthetics than what Tolkien ever laid for the race. But we will wait and see if they come off as caricatures of Warhammer or something interesting besides their riproaring funny looks.

"Wait and see" should be the motto of threads like this across the interweb ;)

The man made The Lord of the Rings. All three of them.

The details don't concern me: the most important thing is that the heart of story and the essence of Tolkien comes through; I'm completely open to interpretation in that regard.

Wait and see is difficult concept in the age of "everything to me, here, now!" though. ;)

I tend to overlook and forgive PJs trespasses (of which there are on several levels) in LotR films because of the overall achievement. Let's hope in The Hobbit films the pros outweight the cons as well.

I've edited my previous post, funnily enough.

There's plenty in LOTR I'm not that keen on, but it still works because the spirit of Tolkien's story remains largely, no, HUGELY intact.

I'll be honest. The film doesn't excite me much, as I feel LOTR trilogy is getting weaker and weaker with each viewing and King Kong wasn't all that special.

But... I'll give it a fair chance when it comes out.

The thing I'm looking forward to is Howard Shore's music. Now that is something I'm getting really excited about. It's about time for someone not to underwhelm.

Karol

I havent seen LotR in a few years. Thats because I er, um, over-did it a bit. Back in the the day.

I don't even own any of the Blu releases.

I agree I was sort of sick of it for awhile. Now I'm ready to read it again and watch the EE

Yes there was definitely a burn out for me as well in regards of the LotR films. I have been doing well by listening to the music from the films for a few years now. It is enough for me to relive the films through them. But I think I am ready to see them all again.

I do read the book once a year though. Kind of a tradition since the beginning of the noughties.

I do read the book once a year though. Kind of a tradition since the beginning of the noughties.

What a Christopher Lee copycat!

Yeah Lee is the hipster of annual LotR reading, doing it long before it became mainstream.

lee.jpg

I am reading a book about TLOTR written in 1969 -- which smells all of its 43 years old, which is a glorious smell -- that talks about a woman who has read the trilogy 30 times as if that's a big deal.

What a Christopher Lee copycat!

The LotR books are my favourite books of all time. I make sure I read it at least once every year (if not more). Usually around Tolkien's birthday, I start the LotR novels then read all the Middle-Earth history material too (Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc.)

The details don't concern me: the most important thing is that the heart of story and the essence of Tolkien comes through; I'm completely open to interpretation in that regard.

I know people will look down on me as a fanboy and such when I say this but PJ's trilogy are honestly my personal favourite films of all time. That doesn't mean I think its the greatest thing to have ever happened to film, but they are simply my favourite films and I think it is a milestone in cinema as well. And despite its discrepancies and creative liberties with the context, the spirit of Tolkien is so brilliantly brought out with that film. And this is coming from a real Tolkien loyalist. People who pick on his deviations have to give Jackson credit for staying as loyal to the context as he did. Making a film adaption of his books is supposed to be impossible. Making one that appeals to both the mainstream and the Tolkien fans is supposed to be inconceivable. But he did it, and he created what I find to be some of the best films movie history (and as I said, my favourite). And now I'm ready to get bashed for saying what I did :)

As for the Hobbit....well, I can't say I'm very pleased about the direction this film appears to be taking, especially with the evil bunnies of Doom and all. I used to be a 100% confident about the success of this film. I mean its not just Peter Jackson, but they have the same brilliant team here too, and a huge part of LotR's success owes itself to that team. Which is why I'm really surprised at how they've all seemed to have collectively missed out on all this Bunnies of Doom, tattooed heads and giant mohawks crap. What is Phillipa Boyens doing? Isn't she the Tolkienist supposed to make sure Jackson doesn't get too ahead of himself. I really hope this doesn't become some fairy tale fest.... :(

I first saw Fellowship of the Ring in parts, in a computer. Yet it was an indescribable experience for some reason. Still remains one of my favourite viewings of a film ever. The sense of adventure in it was straight from the book and it really appealed to me.

I saw none of these films at the cinema. They almost took me to see the first one but I thought I wanted to read the books first. I was 9. I saw The Hobbit in a book fair, asked my parents fot it and I devoured it. Later I read LotR. I remember seeing posters of RotK going through a city in December 2003. I think I saw the films afterwards.

The Hobbit would be the first book I read in English. That was around the time I used to practice some Quenya before getting bored.

Thanks Quint. I know its magnificent cinema and I think its some of the most brilliant stuff the film industry has seen in a long time. But no doubt someone around here is going to start calling me a fanboy (or some other derogatory term along the lines of negligence and stuff) for putting such a mainstream hit as my favourite and for daring to rank this film over more artistic endeavours or the classics of the 80s or Kubrick films, etc (I love all those kind of movies, LotR just transcended them all for me).

I have an incredibly hard time picking a favourite out of this trilogy. It's very hard for me as I love the trilogy as a whole. Although it changes from time to time, Return of the King remains my favourite at the moment.

Return of the King remains one of only two times I've had a truly transcendental experience at the cinema, I shit you not. I was transported by it and by all accounts it utterly blew my socks off. That I was already in the grip of a major LotR phase in my life probably played a part in it, but I still couldn't believe that Jackson could (even after two brilliant movies) nail the climax as well as he did.

I have no idea what I thought of the films when I first saw them. I don't remember seeing them for the first time, strangely enough... they've just always been there.

but they're easily my favorite films of all time too. I've seen fotr too many times this year, so I'm quite sick of it atm, so I'd have to go for rotk too if I have to pick one. :)

I think The Two Towers is the best one. It's the one that works best at getting me there and making me believe these are real places. I want to see more historical films that take the viewer somewhere as well as The Two Towers does. Iniatilly my favourite one was Fellowship but this changed later.

I still have problems with the editing choices in RotK.

Return of the King remains one of only two times I've had a truly transcendental experience at the cinema, I shit you not. I was utterly transported by it and by all accounts it utterly blew my socks off. That I was already in the grip of a major LotR phase in my life probably played a part in it, but I still couldn't believe that Jackson could (even after two brilliant movies) nail the climax as well as he did.

The best thing about that film is actually the sense of trascencence at the climax. The journey from Fellowship to that point is like a complete shift in tone. It's almost real. It's inmense. I actually find it hard to describe exactly what it is I'm trying to describe.