Anyone watching Heroes?

JoeinAR

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great episode last night. Prolly one of my personal favorites so far.

Plus, it borrows its' plotline (somewhat) from X-Men (comics).

Well, I've finally caught up with this. Great stuff. I'm quite amazed how "serious" and believable they've managed to keep this potentially pure geek concept. I'm also amazed they actually managed to make Hiro a great character (after the first episode I didn't think I could stand much more of him). Speaking of which, I've become quite a fan of Ando.

Yes, Ando is shaping up to be a much bigger and better character than what was first speculated.

Claire and Peter are still my favorites, and the most recent episode added to that, especially for Peter. I was on the edge of my seat when he and Sylar began to battle. But I think they have the most interesting characters, and both have been terrific actors throughout. I still fail to see the importance of Nikki/Jessica...her "power" is schizophrenia and she's almost completely separate from the rest of the characters, as far as the narrative goes.

Ray Barnsbury

I have that too, although I've somewhat warmed up to Ali Larter as Jessica (she still annoys me as Nikki).

I did think the shot of Mohinder standing against the door with all the flashy lights behind it looked a bit silly.

I think the best of Jessica/Nikki is yet to come, such as what the true nature of her powers are. Is hers a case of psychological trauma influencing the manifestation of a simple power (increased strength and stamina - which she clearly has if she can rip a man in half)? The real Jessica - maybe she had a connection with Nikki that can't be severed by death. She intrigues me, far more than, say, Greg Grunberg's character (how he managed to get a decent-sized role outside a JAbrams project is beyond me, he's not particularly good). Helps she's a decent actor. It's not easy to portray a schizophrenic without seeming ridiculous.

Wow, great episode! Sylar's mother... Some really fantastic work there, visually and aurally, with the slow-globe bits. The haunting piano theme for his mother is easily the best in the show so far (mainly because the rest is that horrid wailing). Everything seems to be coming together now, the pieces are almost in place. Very exciting!

I really hope that the writers don't wuss out and let Sylar live. He needs to die before he becomes stale.

Wow, great episode! Sylar's mother... Some really fantastic work there, visually and aurally, with the slow-globe bits. The haunting piano theme for his mother is easily the best in the show so far (mainly because the rest is that horrid wailing). Everything seems to be coming together now, the pieces are almost in place. Very exciting!

Agreed! The show seems to be really picking up...for me, it's been hard to stay excited about with all the multi-week breaks and everything. But it's definitely coming together. And yeah, I loved the music for Sylar's mother too; I'd like to hear more melodic music like that for the series.

Speaking of Sylar, it just occurred to me how similar a character he is to Voldemort (hates the idea of being ordinary, creates a new name/identity, detests his "average" lineage, kills a parent, etc.) Not that such a character is that unique in the first place, but I thought it was interesting.

Ray Barnsbury

He shares some of those traits with Anakin, too.

Hmm, must be Model Villain #4 from "Scriptwriting 101". A lot of blokes in Hollywood love that book.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its over folks until the fall

what do you think,

I thought it was very good, and very emotional.

I knew the Nathan would come through in the end.

Sylar, well those of you who watched know....

and who is worse than the boogie man?

This has been bothering me for a few weeks.So Peter gave Claire a gun to kill him if he was about to explode...but he has regenerating powers,so doesn't that make this all pointless.

Silar died too easily...why didn't he stop Hiro

This has been bothering me for a few weeks.So Peter gave Claire a gun to kill him if he was about to explode...but he has regenerating powers,so doesn't that make this all pointless.

Silar died too easily...why didn't he stop Hiro

obviously KM you didn't pay attention because Sylar did not die, he escaped at the end. How in hell did you miss that.

It showed a trail of blood on the pavement leading toward an open manhole cover. I liked the finale pretty well, though I would've liked to see more teamwork/covergence between the Heroes...and a better fight between Sylar and Peter (all those powers and Peter walks up and...punches him?). And that bit about someone worse than the "boogie man" was definitely intriguing, as I haven't been really convinved by Sylar as a truly great villain.

Ray Barnsbury

I agree the fight was a bit of a let down.I mean it was only the last 10 minutes of the show and was over real quick. The rest of the episode was filler that should have been taken care of faster(like Peter's dream/time travel whatever that was totally unnessary).

But again ,what was the point in the plan of Claire shooting Peter if he could regenerate...that seems like a plot hole to me.

Maybe shooting him would just stop the radioactivity...but yeah, I don't see why it was such a big deal for her if he could just heal.

Ray Barnsbury

if it kept him from exploding like a nuclear bomb, I'd say that was worth it. But is Peter dead? Is Nathan? Is Peter and Nathan's Mother the worse than the boggie man, I'd say she is.

I think Nathan is dead, and Peter will survive. And yeah, their mom is definitely the scariest grandma I've ever seen.

Ray Barnsbury

Great finale. I felt satisfied with how everything turned out. The best moment was Nathan saving the day. I hoped that he would change his ways before it was too late, and I'm glad he did. The cliff-hangar for next season was completely unexpected, and I really dug it. It looks like Hiro will be having some wacky adventures in fuedal Japan . . .

Rabbit--who was generally suprised by the reveal of HRG's real name

The show suffers from illogical and lazy writing at times.I like it,but a lot of times there's major plot holes.Peter could have flown himslef to explode,or let himself be shot and heal...Nathan didn't need to sacrifice himself.why didn't Silar hurl Hiro across the plaza BEFORE he got stabbed,he had plenty of time.How could Silar crawl into the sewers and nobody else around notice he was gone

Peter couldn't fly because he was focusing all of his energy on not exploding. Shooting him would probably have set him off.

The show suffers from illogical and lazy writing at times.I like it,but a lot of times there's major plot holes.Peter could have flown himslef to explode,or let himself be shot and heal...Nathan didn't need to sacrifice himself.why didn't Silar hurl Hiro across the plaza BEFORE he got stabbed,he had plenty of time.How could Silar crawl into the sewers and nobody else around notice he was gone

I agree. It's a pretty fun show, but there are enough issues like that to keep my interest relatively mild. Plus, the acting is really over the top sometimes, almost laughably so. Especially in the DL/Nikke scenes. "NIKKI...YOU HAVE TO FIND MICAH!! <GASP, COUGH, GAG>" "NO, DL...I WON'T LEAVE YOU!!! <SOB, GASP>"

Ray Barnsbury

Heroes is sometimes illogical within it's own universe and rules.Lost is far more intelligently written.I don't ask myself every 5 minutes "how could that happen?,Why did he do that when he could have done this..."

Cool finale. Hiro is beginning to kick serious butt (although the bit of him in ancient Japan wasn't overly cliffhanging - particularly after my initial thought that a dinosaur might show up before those horsemen appeared). Jessica/Niki seems to finally get special "powers" after both her personalities have worked together for the first time.

Hiro ending up in fuedal Japan was very Back to the Future Part III, doncha' think?

Cool finale.

I thought it was pretty weak, considering how adrenaline-pumping some of the previous episodes have been. Where was Peter and Sylar's epic end-of-all-fights?

Probably next season, if Sylar is indeed alive. Hopefully around the mid-season mark so as not to detract from this being who is "worse than the boogeyman" who will surely be the focus of Volume 2.

As soon as Hiro landed in that last scene I was convinced that he would turn out to be Kensei the hero. But then Kensei turned up. Oh well.

Hiro is beginning to kick serious butt (although the bit of him in ancient Japan wasn't overly cliffhanging - particularly after my initial thought that a dinosaur might show up before those horsemen appeared).

Yeah, I was totally expecting a Jurassic Park moment, with a T-rex showing up and roaring or something. But we did get to see the Heroes logo/eclipse thingy in the sky. And as my brother noticed, the samurai bore the symbol that's tatooed on Nikki's shoulder.

Ray Barnsbury

And as my brother noticed, the samurai bore the symbol that's tatooed on Nikki's shoulder.

Ray Barnsbury

yeah,but unlike Lost,I don't make much of these cues.That was probably something improvised or will never be explained or follwoed up on

Really, KM? Come on.....

Anyway, I'm sure that Hiro will be revealed to be related to Kensei in some way. Some have even suggested that his father Kaito (George Takai) is actually Kensei.

hiro's father is a time traveler too

As soon as Hiro landed in that last scene I was convinced that he would turn out to be Kensei the hero. But then Kensei turned up. Oh well.

Me too!

And as my brother noticed, the samurai bore the symbol that's tatooed on Nikki's shoulder.

Yes, it's Kensei. That's his symbol.

That symbol shows up in many places throughout the show. I think it is somekind of symbol for the heroes, like the Superman symbol or Batman symbol.

Yes, but its oldest use in the show's universe is on the sword and banners of Kensei. According to Ando, it's a combination of two Chinese characters, one meaning "great talent," the other meaning "Godsend."

I must be missing something, because I have no idea who Kensei is.

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks it might have somehing to do with the multiple six-week gaps in the show's schedule :lol:

I think that Kensei was the first hero and he invented the symbol. Or something like that.

I too think the finale wasn't up to all the cool premises and the build-up of the previous episodes. Heck, I wanted to see a real battle between Peter and Sylar! :P Also, it didn't make a lot of sense the fact Nathan has to flew Peter away (apart from the redemption of the character, who sacrifices himself for the greater good)... doesn't Peter have the power of flying too? Why couldn't he fly away by himself?

Also, I found the dialogue between Peter and Shaft the Detective to be pretty lame... "All the world needs now is love" or something like that... :lol:

Well, a bit disappointing, but the show was fun to watch up until now. Let's hope Season 2 will improve and make it even better.

Peter couldn't fly himself because he was focusing all of his energy on not exploding and couldn't even control that.

Now having seen all of Season 1 I will agree the ending with Sylar and Peter could have been a lot better and was a bit of a let down. I was kind of hoping to have them duke it out in the episode "Five Years Gone By"

I do wonder if Peter and Nathan are dead...also is it me or did it seem as if Sylar wasn't really killed and escaped into the sewers?

I loved the part from the episode "Five Years Gone By"...

"Shall we freeze time?" - Hiro

"No, I haven't had a good fight in a while" - Peter

I was also hoping to see Hiro kick more ass as well but it was nice to see his future self do it.

Red is correct, Peter couldn't fly because he was focusing all his energy and powers to keep himself from exploding.