Anyone watching Heroes?

JoeinAR

So far its very intriguing, and will be even better when all the lines start coming together.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to but didn't get out of work until after it started and forgot to set the VCR. Same thing happened last week when I wanted to check out the premier of Jericho.

John- who's heard that the second and third eps are even better than the pilot

I watched it, and it was intriguing, yes. I really don't know how far it'll go, but I'm willing to watch and give it a try.

Ray Barnsbury - who knows it's dangerous to get attached to a new show on NBC

I watched it, and it was intriguing, yes.  I really don't know how far it'll go, but I'm willing to watch and give it a try.

Indeed...... :jump:

-Mark, still mourning Surface...

Could be worse, it could be on Fox.

But I'm not still bitter over Firefly. No. Not me.

;)

At least they brought Family Guy back.

Mark wrote:

Mark, still mourning Surface...

HA! Seriously??? I tried soooo hard to like Surface, but it was simply the cheeziest show with god-awful dialogue and acting.....great premise for a show, but NBC just isn't smart enough to produce it correctly is what I'm thinking: after all, you can't turn a show like that into Friends, as badly as they wanted to....

But I missed Heroes, and want to catch it next time it airs....

I avoid television shows outside a few comedies like Family Guy and South Park (not so much the latter anymore as it has become simplistic, agenda-driven, and almost as hypocritical as the very things it attacks). I can almost feel my life wasting away watching television, which why I don't like to watch it. At least there's some artistic component still alive in Film today - you just need to know where to find it - as opposed to most television, which is shamefully constructed to make you "stay tuned" for after the commercial break or next week's show. A show is contrived and goes on and on and on and on. There is no art, no variety, not effort, just a mind-numbing manner of wasting time. It's second tier visual media no matter how you look at it. Visual narratives are best left to the cinema. Leave the sitcoms, reality-shows, game shows, and hour long "dramas" to TV.

Ted

I watched it, and it was intriguing, yes.  I really don't know how far it'll go, but I'm willing to watch and give it a try.

Indeed...... :)

-Mark, still mourning Surface...

Haha....my brother (SturgisPodmore) watched that when it was on last year and I made fun of him for it constantly. But I agreed to watch it with him when he got the DVD, and I admit I got hooked. It wasn't a great show, but it was pretty engaging. Bummer.

Ray Barnsbury

Mark wrote:

I'm pretty much a sucker for anything with a giant monster or some sort of creature in it.

:) I know... that's why I was disappointed at the way they produced Surface....it had such great potential.

Back to Heroes, how many episodes have aired so far?? Have I missed more than just the pilot episode??

I can almost feel my life wasting away watching television, which why I don't like to watch it.

If you feel your life wasting away in any circumstance, it's because your life is wasting away, and you are trying to fight that thought. The passing of time of is defined by your perception of its value, if you place a value on your time, it isn't worth much anyway, in relative terms.

A show is contrived and goes on and on and on and on. There is no art, no variety, not effort, just a mind-numbing manner of wasting time. It's second tier visual media no matter how you look at it. Visual narratives are best left to the cinema

Yes, but TV series, especially the very popular ones like 24, Lost, reveal the zeitgeist of the public in a way that films can not. They are in this way more relevant and vital.

They are contrived to go on because that is the format they are structured within, which mirrors the social structure of most people's lives , a gradual drama unfolding and resolving over several months.

But serial dramas and shows are great because they give you a reason to keep watching. I never understood people who hate series', there's so much more substance and material in something that has had time to develop, although certainly there are those shows that go on for too long.

You haven't told me anything I don't already know.

Ted

Noted, Ted know's it all.

Please excuse my heavily stifled laughter :)

I didn't claim to know it all. You act like you do with posts like your response to mine, projecting your know-it-all assumptions on to what I said as if I had no idea. I know it makes you feel good to make posts like that, but you're not proving much. I welcome your opinions, of course, but you are very assuming. I just wanted to let you know with that brief post that you are not the only person who thinks about such things.

Ted

I didn't claim to know it all.

But you sure entertain the notion, think you are the smartest guy in the room.

You act like you do with posts like your response to mine, projecting your know-it-all assumptions on to what I said as if I had no idea.

Sometimes being a know-it-all is justified. Not in your case though...

I know it makes you feel good to make posts like that, but you're not proving much. I welcome your opinions, of course, but you are very assuming. I just wanted to let you know with that brief post that you are not the only person who thinks about such things.

Thinking about, and understanding, are quite different things.

May I recommend, once again, that we take this out of the public forum, AI?

EDIT: Come to think of it, this isn't even worth my time. Clearly you are the smartest man in the room.

Ted

"Heroes" could break out into a hit. The last three or four minutes of the show had me hooked.

I won't give things a way for those who haven't seen it, but this is going to be one trippy show. The end of the world, reality mixed in with "fiction," a superhero whose dad is fighting to stop them, etc.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this isn't even worth my time.

Placing value on your time again Ted? tut-tut, time is all too relative. In the bigger scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

Clearly you are the smartest man in the room. Ted

I appreciate your faux-humility for what it is.

• 1 month later...

I dunno, I thought Tina Turner was pretty convincing when she sang

WE DON`T NEED ANOTHER HERO

WE DON`T NEED TO KNOW THE WAY HOME

ALL WE WANT IS LIFE BEYOND

THUNDERDOME

Its probably my favorite new show this year.

Same here. Wonderful TV writing in there - and surprisingly unique, even though it's the result of mixing a carbon copy of Lost with a carbon copy of the X-Men concept.

Save the cheerleader.

Save the world.

Yeah, that's gotta be the most stupid slogan ever to became so damn catchy to find its way to my MSN Messenger nick. I guess we all like to repeat words we just don't understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up on the first eight episodes of this.

Cool stuff. I hope it's as good watching it once a week as it is back-to-back.

- Marc, who'll admit he currently also has "Save the cheerleader. Save the world." as his MSN sig.

Ironically, last week's episode without the stars Peter, Nathan or Niki, was the most interesting to watch.

SPOILERY QUESTION ENTINCING ESPECULATION: So the guy with the glasses is some sort of Xavier, House-style? I thought that'd be too predictable (since he never showed any connection to Linderman or Sylas), but then again, they have Jeph Loeb as scribe.

Here's some new that might send my fellow Whovians into a tizzy: Christopher Eccleston is to join the cast of Heroes in January!

Source: 11/15 Ask Ausiello at TVGuide.com, scroll down to a couple of questions past the Gilmore Girls spoilers. Ausiello's a bit of an arrogant prat that devotes half the column to himself, but he does get some great spoilers with pretty much a 100% accuracy rating.

Can someone give me a recap of the last episode? I didn't get a chance to see it.

You should be able to watch it for free on NBC's website; that's what I did a few weeks ago.

Ray Barnsbury - who enjoys Heroes, but more mildly than many, it seems

Ironically, last week's episode without the stars Peter, Nathan or Niki, was the most interesting to watch.

Yeah,I don't like the Niki sub story anyways.

K.M.