Scores that no one else seems to like...

crocodile

Speaking of legend... Goldsmith's Legend is definitely one of his best. But it isn't mentioned as such very often, I believe.

Indeed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if people don't ike it or if it just doesn't get discussed here, but I always loved Joe LoDuca's Army of Darkness score, even though the performance has to be one of the worst orchestral performances I've heard outside of a school orchestra.

Harry Gregson-Williams' Spy Game is quite good. I usually don't go for scores with such harsh use of electronics, but something about this score really grabs me. I like the different sounds that HGW comes up with and underneath its aggressive surface are some real moments of beauty.

Ted

Basil Poledouris's score for the 1994 version of "The Jungle Book" doesn't get enough credit. It's a beautiful score with a lovely main theme and some excellent underscore and action cues, yet when I started to look around for what people say about it, it seems to get the "Meh" treatment. I really don't understand why. It's definitely one of my favorite scores of all time.

Les Miserables, The Hunt For Red October, Lonesome Dove, Quigley Down Under and Robocop, to name a few.

Under Seige 2 is short but fun and while Conan The Destroyer suffers from a weak orchestra there are some good cues.

I'll list ones that I like that I like that don't seem to be well-liked by many in the score community . . . Just because I'm Goldsmithfan and can do what I want (like put up a post on JWfan while listening to "Don't Let Me Down" by The Beatles!)

- The Terminator: Definitive Edition

- Terminator 2

[These first two seem to be enjoyed by a select group of people who have seen the films, as well as Fiedel fans (all five of them . . . and me) but other than that they get slammed like a whore on Saturday]

- The Evil Dead

[This little misunderstood classic is a miniature masterpiece in my opinion. If you take into account the reason the orchestrations are what they are because of the fact that they were on a shoestring budget and not because LoDuca was totally in love with synths at the time (not that there's anything wrong with that; I love 'em!) I think you'll understand what he had in mind. Many of the effects are obviously supposed to be brass. I really shouldn't even be making excuses for this score because, being able to stand on its own merits, it doesn't need any. But a lot of people here hate electronics so maybe I should be quiet before you burn a giant 'A' on my lawn . . . meaning accoustic.]

- S*P*Y*S*

[say what you will about this score, but I love it. S*P*Y*S* is a true testament to the fact that Goldsmith always had Williams beat in the being willing to make his music into a huge joke area. Some comedies demand it. And a film that stars Elliot Gould needs all the help it can get. Every once in a while I need a nice, fun score to listen to and this is certainly the wakiest I've ever heard. Take that space coyote!]

Another score that for some odd reason has more dislike than I realized is Goldsmith's Total Recall.

I can't figure that one out.

First Knight and Air Force One pale in comparison to Total Recall.

I can't figure out why people have that view. I've even heard some claim Total Recall was noise, although that person thinks David Arnold is a better composer than Goldsmith if I'm not mistaken.

First Knight and Air Force One pale in comparison to Total Recall.

Those two are very different than Total Recall, but if we're looking at them from a pure 'action score' standpoint then I'd say that Total Recall is better. Although I love Air Force One yet still haven't gotten around to buying it or First Knight!!!

But I'm probably weird in my own way because I prefer Hollow Man to Total Recall. Total Recall is pretty deep for an action score (the Deluxe Edition is anyway) but Hollow Man has sooooooooooooooo much going on in terms of thematic variance. Horror, action, suspense, a brief appearance of a love theme, discovery. Everything!

There are a lot of scores that I like that alot of people here don't seem to like but I'm not going to bother listing them...

Why?

Karol

Why? Because there's no point, all I will get will be sarcastic posts from a few certain people and either rolling eye or puking emoticons. So I'm not going to waste my time posting which ones I like that others do not...

I'm interested, Vosk. Forget them. Let's hear them.

It just doesn't draw me in the way First Knight, Air Force One or Rambo: First Blood part II does, which are all action-heavy scores.

I agree. There is much acclaim for this score and I definitely like it's sense of atmosphere and how it complements the action. But the music by itself just doesn't interest me much. I've tried many times to "get into it," knowing that there must be something I'm not getting, but it usually disappoints. I love the opening track and a few other pieces, but the action music is just a lot of loud brass to me.

Ted

Why? Because there's no point' date=' all I will get will be sarcastic posts from a few certain people and either rolling eye or puking emoticons. So I'm not going to waste my time posting which ones I like that others do not...

[/quote']

Just share your opinions, who cares what people say.

I've even heard some claim Total Recall was noise, although that person thinks David Arnold is a better composer than Goldsmith if I'm not mistaken.

Ricard said Total Recall was just noise, but I doubt he thought DA was better then JG.

I'm interested, Vosk. Forget them. Let's hear them.
It just doesn't draw me in the way First Knight, Air Force One or Rambo: First Blood part II does, which are all action-heavy scores.

I agree. There is much acclaim for this score and I definitely like it's sense of atmosphere and how it complements the action. But the music by itself just doesn't interest me much. I've tried many times to "get into it," knowing that there must be something I'm not getting, but it usually disappoints. I love the opening track and a few other pieces, but the action music is just a lot of loud brass to me.

Ted

A lot of loud brass? You seem to be missing a lot! One of the reasons that I love Goldsmith's music so much is his extensive use of strings, which remains evident in action cues. With most composers, once action starts in it's 90% brass, but he manages to stay fairly string heavy. The passage during "Clever Girl" when Arnie is using the pedestrian as a human shield has a very strong string action passage. There are other incidents of this all throughout the score. So it's actually loud strings and brass! 8O

Well I like PotC 2 too (even though I wasn't impressed by it), but I still cannot stand the 1st part.

Another sparsely-known score that came to my mind is "The Lost Souls" by Jan AP Kaczmarek. This composer is likely to be bashed for winning over JW in 2004 competition, but nevertheless he has great talent and "The Lost Souls" proves that - it is one of the best 'satanic' scores, maybe not as cool as "Omen" but still great (and there is no "Finding Neverland"-like sugar).

Let's see, score that I like that no one else seems to like........ Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2

Brave of you, boy :(

Karol, who's worried because it's a second time he quotes prequels today.

What can I say, when it comes to film scores, I try to be an optimist and look for the best in every score... more to listen to! :(

There are a lot of scores that I like that alot of people here don't seem to like but I'm not going to bother listing them...

Why?

Karol

Why? Because there's no point, all I will get will be sarcastic posts from a few certain people and either rolling eye or puking emoticons. So I'm not going to waste my time posting which ones I like that others do not...

O_RLY.jpg