RIP Robert Altman

tpigeon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have yet to see The Long Goodbye and McCabe and Mrs. Miller, but I will hopefully be seeing them soon. I know he was 81, but for some reason I'm shocked at this news.

Ted

I know he was 81, but for some reason I'm shocked at this news.

I know what you mean. I know this will sound really silly, but he always seemed immortal - everlasting legend, that kind of thing. :? Just like Jack Palance... :cry:

He just mentioned his new heart at the Oscars in March, so I think we all expected many more years of good health, however ...

Paul Thomas Anderson was brought in to help out with "A Prairie Home Companion," so Altman's health might not have been as good as we would have liked to believe.

I'm playing "images" tonight.

Loved Gosford Park (had to watch it alone :cry: ), and has a very nice score by Patrick Doyle.

Another one I love is M*A*S*H, along with the cynical "Suicide is Painless", by Johnny Mandel. Actually, the whole idea of music score on that film, is just too much fun... It's used much in the same fashion as in The Long Goodbye (another really great film).

I was very sad to hear this. Just these past Oscars he anounced that he'd had a heart transplant 10 years ago, and was still going strong, releasing one film since then, and working on preproduction for his next film....

I just didn't want to believe this day would come.