• Titanic
    • Braveheart
    • Willow
    • Star Trek II

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the above. As confident as I am that JW could score any movie to perfection, Titanic, Braveheart and Star Trek II are three of the best scores ever written, and I wouldn't want JW to be attatched to Willow, one of the all-time worst films at any cost

Titanic, Braveheart and Wrath of Khan are perfect, nothing John could do better, willow is another matter.

Well, there are certainly other Horner scores that a John Williams score would have been superior, mostly everything from Horner's recent repretoire. The four scores up there are truly the highlights of Horners career, but I would have to choose Titanic.

Star Trek II and Willow are both excellent, no need for change. Titanic, quite simply, is not worthy of Williams. So that leaves Bravehart. A Williams take on that would have been quite interesting. It gets my vote.

Titanic.Always go for films with a lot of panoramic shots of sailing ships or landscape,that is where most sweeping passages are,and there can't be enough Williams sweep

K.M.Who would have liked to hear a Williams score for Eragon,the movie consisting mostly of panoramic shots of people riding horses and dragons across the wilderness.

K.M.Who would have liked to hear a Williams score for Eragon,the movie consisting mostly of panoramic shots of people riding horses and dragons across the wilderness.

You know it sounds almost like Brokeback Mountain with the dragons. bowdown

Karol

Titanic, Braveheart and Wrath of Khan are perfect, nothing John could do better, willow is another matter.

Whats wrong with Willow? It is a great score.

Titanic by John Williams would probably have made for quite some seaworthy music and I just happen to be a sucker for seaworthy music. And for other seaworthy things called "ships" as well, of course. :nod:

all those foolish people who picked Titanic, got news for you, he could not have done better, listen to Johns post 97 stuff, much of it is shit. Horner deserved all the honors he got.

John's talent is an aging relic,

Williams' post '97 stuff has overall been a lot better than Horner's. And had he scored Titanic, the film would've probably provided him with the opportunity to write the kind of music even you like Joe, much like it did Horner.

Ray Barnsbury - who enjoys Horner's score regardless of what could've been

I think in the mid-90's, Williams changed, tried new things. Than he hit rock bottom (originality and freshness wise) in The Patriot, and came back booming, and has been on a roll ever since. A new vitality in his work.

That being said, while I'm happy that Williams kind of reinvented himself, I still marvel at the pure power of some of his 70's and 80's work. Just yesterday I was listening to 'Ancestral Home' from The River, and was amazed by that huge, beautiful theme in there.

Yes, Memiors of a Geisha I think is enough to convince anyone that Williams is in good form. With that being said, I think that his heyday was 1975 - 1993.