Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

@Incanus

I assume you don't have a Bluray player/Bluray rom?

Yeah no I don't. It would probably mean a whole new upgrade on my computer (since I watch everything on it these days) or buying a whole home theater system and a TV. So no. :(

Its the last of the "true" pre-digital epics.

It feels more real then films like Troy etc...

Yeah that's true.

I know someone who despises Braveheart for its sweeping historical inaccuracies. I couldn't care less, it's just the usual Hollywood baloney.

@Incanus

Yeah no I don't. It would probably mean a whole new upgrade on my computer (since I watch everything on it these days) or buying a whole home theater system and a TV. So no. :(

i think to buy a Blu-ray rom (not blu-ray recorder) is relatively cheap now. I am watching movies on my pc too.

believe me, it's a great upgrade!

Once you see glorious remasters of Blu-rays, you'll never go back!

DVD?

Whats that?

It is antiquated technology.

Yeah that's true.

I know someone who despises Braveheart for its sweeping historical inaccuracies. I couldn't care less, it's just the usual Hollywood baloney.

Either you do a documentary or a dramatic movie. You should give historical fiction lee-way. Fantasy like The Hobbit is of course another matter.

Yeah that's true.

well, from what i read after, there's not so much known about Williams Wallace.

So, there wouldn't be any historical inaccuracies, if there are no historical accuracies to begin with, would be? ;)

@Incanus

i think to buy a Blu-ray rom (not blu-ray recorder) is relatively cheap now. I am watching movies on my pc too.

believe me, it's a great upgrade!

Once you see glorious remasters of Blu-rays, you'll never go back!

and to add to that, here's a couple of comparisons on Braveheart:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=full&image=12&vergleich=braveheart&action=1&lossless=0#vergleich

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=full&image=2&vergleich=braveheart&action=1&lossless=0#vergleich

Because of your limited tastes.

No, because of its obvious mechanics and simplistic messages. I don't like it when a movie treats me like I'm an 8-year-old.

No, because of its obvious mechanics and simplistic messages. I don't like it when a movie treats me like I'm an 8-year-old.

It depends on what you're looking for in a movie.

if you're looking for the greatest meaning in the world with philosophical implications, and an apocalypsis of the meaning of life in your movies, then, ok, i'd believe you don't like it.

If you look at movies as a complete work of art for the eyes and the ears, a combination of story, cinematography, directing, music, make-up etc. etc., then this movie is highly rated in all those fields.

So, i guess you don't like the Star Wars trilogy or the Indiana Jones movies too, right?

It depends on what you're looking for in a movie.

if you're looking for the greatest meaning in the world with philosophical implications, and an apocalypsis of the meaning of life in your movies, then, ok, i'd believe you don't like it.

If you look at movies as a complete work of art for the eyes and the ears, a combination of story, cinematography, directing, music, make-up etc. etc., then this movie is higly rated in all those fields.

So, i guess you don't like the Star Wars trilogy or the Indiana Jones movies too, right?

Pro tip: you're wasting your time and will get bored.

Apples and oranges. Many people don't like the fun escapism of Star Wars or Indiana Jones but are hugely inspired and affected (even driven to tears) by Braveheart for its deeeeeeeeeeep (sentimental Hollywood presentation) values of freedom and patriotism.

Different points of view make it interesting. You'll find it everywhere, in every discussion, in every topic.

For me, one of the 'values' of inaccurate / simplistic portrayals of a certain period / characters in history in movies / television series, is that I notice it can arouse people's interest in trying to later delve into more detailed / accepted records behind characters / events, once they hear the inevitable criticism from historians that a movie / series is wildly inaccurate. Admittedly it was years after seeing Braveheart, but I bought a book some years ago about Edward I (Longshanks) and took this book with me during a hiking and camping journey in Wales, also visiting the formidable castles Edward I built for his campaign to conquer Wales, such as Harlech, Caernarfon, Conwy and Beaumaris.

It was a surreal experience to be reading excerpts from historical documents of that era in the book, detailing crucial events (battles, political deals, births and marriages) in these very places, while in situ. I probably would not have considered picking up such a book had I not found the portrayal of Edward I in Braveheart by Patrick McGoohan so eccentric. It was a fascinating book (link here) that balanced things and I then went on to read a book about Edward III (link here). In both books, debate is raised about Edward II who was portrayed very simplisticly in Braveheart. All of this tends to provoke interest and further interest (the same could go for renewed interest in the Romans after Gladiator, the real Henry VIII after The Tudors etc). If a 'marketing' approach to history provokes deeper interest, then it's all good.

Longshanks was a just king by all accounts, and nothing like the wickedly entertaining (and paper thin) McGoohan portrayal in that movie.

By the standards of the day, and when looking at his 'whole' life, yes.

Apples and oranges. Many people don't like the fun escapism of Star Wars or Indiana Jones but are hugely inspired and affected (even driven to tears) by Braveheart for its deeeeeeeeeeep (sentimental Hollywood presentation) values of freedom and patriotism.

Different points of view make it interesting. You'll find it everywhere, in every discussion, in every topic.

I don't think anyone views Braveheart, or any movie really, for its patriotic symbolism. It's a pretty good drama with some great battle sequences. Gotta love Mel.

I think that's very unlikely. Braveheart already won a poll about 'Most Patriotic Movie'. It's the film's strongest theme so ... If you mean that not everyone cares for its patriotism then I agree.

Who cares! His career is over ... unless Tarantino pulls him out of the gutter and puts him in one of his movies (Jackie Brown Returns).

Who cares! His career is over ... unless Tarantino pulls him out of the gutter and puts him in one of his movies (Jackie Brown Returns).

Unfortunately, yes. I thought Edge Of Darkness was great and The Beaver looked good but they weren't enough to pull him out of the hole he was digging.

He's in Machete Kills along with Carlos Estevez. Should be a blast.

Well, Rodriguez is able to breathe new life into careers too. In any case, if Rodriguez was first, Tarantino will probably not cast him. Too bad, he and Pam Grier could have provided for some great chemistry.

12775_large.jpg43487_large.jpg

Just purchased Charade and Badlands from the B&N sale.

I haven't seen Badlands, i hope i don't regret it.

After all I love Mallick films!

also looking forward to the UK edition of the James Dean films, which is much more practical than the US one.

80022_large.jpg

i was wondering: what do you do with those single sleeves which are usually glued or placed on the back of digibooks, boxes, steelbooks and refer to the techincal specifications?

Do you put them away?

I would like to keep them, but it's not good keeping them on the Bluray case.

Badlands is okay, nothing more, nothing less.

would you say it's better or worse than Days of Heaven?

(that is, if you've seen it of course)

now that you said it's just ok, i wish i had purchased "On the Waterfront". :(

But I guess I should judge by myself.

On the Waterfront is a much better film. I don't remember seeing Days of Heaven. Since it had Richard Gere, I probably did not.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got TITANIC bluray in my hands!! :)

Watching the Bluray trailer gives me goosebumps every time!

Haven't seen it for years, and looking forward to it.

I still remember the first time I saw TITANIC at the cinema.

When I got out of the cinema, I literally didn't know where I was. I was a bit shocked! i felt dizzy!

I didn't know what to expect before i saw it, didn't know it was a love story and all of that, just thought it was a plain adventure film, that's why I was more than pleasantly surprised!

I know many people think it's cheesy, but to me it's a very special film. I also saw it in a turning point of my life, i had just moved from my parents' house in a small town, to the capital of Greece to live alone. Everything was new and on a bigger scale!

I hope I can watch it tonight!! I will need my glasses that I accidentaly broke yesterday!! :(

I hope they are fixed by this afternoon...

(by the way, to anyone that has this BLuray, are the subtitles tiny to you? I have the Greek Bluray - which is probably the Spanish release anyway which has Greek subtitles - and the subtitles in all languages are tiny. They aren't the usual size that are in all other Blurays)