LISTEN to CHAMBER OF SECRETS!!!!!!!!!

Bart

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet every new theme we have heard is composed by Williams.

I suspect the portions in the cd that are composed by Ross are, for example, the first and last tracks, where pratically no new melodies were devoloped but rather existing themes were arranjed and mixed in a somewhat diferent manner than in the last score(in the last trakc really not that diferent). I'm pretty sure Ross colaboration revolves around examples such as these.

This isn't true at all.  Williams wrote forty minutes of music. .

On top of my head,the first track is a Williams medly of course,the second almost certain that it's Williams,so is the third.Then there is the third to last track which seems to be the unreleased "House Cup" music from the first movie,the second to last a more elaborated version of Leaving Hogwarts,and the last cue is lifted from the first c.d.And Harry 's theme is rather used extensively too.

so Yes,40 minutes that were elaborated and variated by Ross.

K.M.

By the way, excellent conducting job by William Ross...no thanks to John Williams, of course.

We don't know EXACTLY what imput Williams had on this if he heard the finished product,he might have made a few suggestions...

K.M.

Some people seem they really like to bash.

The score is good, they assume right away is not Williams' merit, when all signs point out that it is, indeed, mostly Williams' merit.

I would bet every new theme we have heard is composed by Williams.

I suspect the portions in the cd that are composed by Ross are, for example, the first and last tracks, where pratically no new melodies were devoloped but rather existing themes were arranjed and mixed in a somewhat diferent manner than in the last score(in the last trakc really not that diferent). I'm pretty sure Ross colaboration revolves around examples such as these.

i agree with you Merkel.

Some people seem they really like to bash.  

The score is good, they assume right away is not Williams' merit, when all signs point out that it is, indeed, mostly Williams' merit.

exactly.

This isn't true at all.  Williams wrote forty minutes of music.  Let's see...how long is the film?  Remember that HP1 was pretty densely spotted.  If you're telling me that the rest of the -- what -- 60 to 70 min. of score is simply "arrangements" of HP1 material, the score is pretty darn weak, indeed.  Then it's absolutely redundant.

Nope - Williams did his 40 minutes - including probably all new themes, then William Ross took over with THAT material PLUS the material from HP1 and did his own stuff based on that.

Hmmm,how odd,after a few listens,I find this score does have it's fair share of somewhat boring action cues(especially in the middle parts).Maybe I wasn't paying attention and now I find the best parts are the main "new" themes(The one first heard in track 2 is examplary Williams)and the returning,re-tooled themes from the first movie,especially Harry's primary theme finally put to good use and used far more extensively.

K.M.Who revisises his opinion,which may change again at this point.

Nope - Williams did his 40 minutes - including probably all new themes, then William Ross took over with THAT material PLUS the material from HP1 and did his own stuff based on that.

Of course,exactly ,or else the c.d. wouldn't be credited as MUSIC

by JOHN WILLIAMS,unlike the credits on the Jurassic Park 3 c.d.

K.M.

I am surprised by those of you who read some comments of the negativity concerning this score, that it's not Williams, lack of orchestrating credits, or the such.

Those of you who are truly familiar with the finger prints of Williams' pen, don't need to be challenged by some comments made by those who are not familiar. Let it be that they believe it's composed by Ross, or Mozart or Handel, hence, why do we need to feel threatened by some who are not familiar with Williams voice as you do?

The voice of Williams are all over this score. And Ross would have a tough challenge to write something that matches the quality that Williams produce. Frankly, I am sure he was intimidated by this challenge.

The second track being spoken off, well, if you have any at all, there harmonic language is Williams without any slightest doubt. But you have to have a pretty good ear to hear harmonic progressions, and Williams' personal orchestrational style.

I am also surprised by those who doubts as to Williams' composing powers. If you only knew that he is as good as ever, and if not, better.

It's sad that some thinks Williams is this egomaniac of a composer, where he likes to take all credits for himself. He is the complete opposite of that. One must understand that Williams is his own orchestrator, and his version of using an orchestrator is very different to some other composers. Williams orchestrators are nothing more than secretaries that type out his letters for him, while all the notes are very much Williams.

Also, for those who thinks the music credits ought to be by Ross, heck, why just that, we should include Beethoven, Elgar, Holst, etc, after all, he has all those sounds in him.

Hence, friends and colleagues who recognize the voice of Williams, you don't need to feel threatened by comments that are not really based on reality, but pure opinion. Just let them be.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, perhaps these people were at the recording sessions, so they know first hand. So much the better for you, I wish I were there to join you.

Let's just celebrate what seems to be a score to be very much enjoyed.

Whatever Skymaker said I agree.After listening to Williams for 25 years,of course subconcially you recognise his "finger prints",whih are all over this score.Hense I believe he told more to Ross on how to do this other than whipping him out his 40 minutes of new music.

K.M.

:roll:

BTW, I'm quite sure the first cue is composed by William Ross. (well, I would say 'arranged from the first Harry Potter'), and Harry's Wondrous World as well (the last track).

BTW, I'm quite sure the first cue is composed by William Ross. (well, I would say 'arranged from the first Harry Potter'), and Harry's Wondrous World as well (the last track).

there is difference beween arranging and composing.Both the first and last tracks are direct quotes from Williams known music from the first film.

K.M.

there is difference beween arranging and composing.Both the first and last tracks are direct quotes from Williams known music from the first film.

K.M.

:?

I did say "arranged".

how do i save this? onto my computer.......so i can listen off line.

thats just what I want to know...

You can't save Realudio,botu can copy it on a recording devise if you have an Audio out....

K.M.Dusting off his MD recorder.

Why bother? A modern soundcard can record it's own line out. :)

You can record anything that plays on your computer using the appropiate software. I recorded the webcast in a .wav file with 'Creative Recorder', then splitted it into 20 tracks and burned it onto a CD-R.

That's what I'm talking about. :)

I still want to know if anyone can make MP3s of this....

I can... but I really don't see the point when the cd will be out in a not too long while (I hope ;) ) As it would be a fair amount of work. :)

K.M.Up to that point right now.some of he middle parts dragged ...but overall this is beter than The Sorcerer's stone.

No way. :D

Hmm ,that second to last track,is a replica of Leaving Hogwarts,but a lot more majectic.

But less moving. :)

Morn,when Williams hits it right on,there seems to be no disagrements,and the reaction to this score is almost unanimous in a positive way,unlike AOTC and MR.

Popularity doesn't prove anything. It's only a measurement of appeal.

At least Ross did not ruin and in many cases inproved the original themes in COS as Don Davis did with JP3

Don't mess with Don Davis! ROTFLMAO He did the brilliant The Matrix!

it's the best one he's written this year,then a gain this doesn't say much

There is more to a score than a theme.

The voice of Williams are all over this score

Not that surprising, Ross is a huge Williams fan.

Anyway, this score does not live up to the complexities and interests in the first one. Nor does it even live up to it's fun. Except for moments. :)

This score is missing something compared to the 'real thing'. I'd rather listen to AOTC, a more interesting listen though this score is certainly fun. :)

For those who wish to download the stream in question, after much research and experimentation, you will need 2 programs: UCFs Real7ime Converter to discover the URL of the .rm file and Streambox VCR to capture the stream.

I've downloaded and can listen to it in the highest quality anytime I want to :-)

Anyway, this score does not live up to the complexities and interests in the first one. Nor does it even live up to it's fun. Except for moments.  :)

Yes but quite a bit of great moments up to now for me.And only after seeing the movie(and see what's missing among other things)and listening to the c.d. some more will I choose which one I prefer. ROTFLMAO

This score is missing something compared to the 'real thing'.

After hearing it,I don't agree,though I almost swore that 's what I thought before

That's what I was afraid of,but don't think so after hearing it.

I'd rather listen to AOTC, a more interesting listen though this score is certainly fun.  :D

You now what I think about that. :)

Already mostly positive 130 replies about this score in one day,more than 10 times what's been said about MR....and the equivalent about what's been said negative about AOTC.

K.M.

For those who wish to download the stream in question, after much research and experimentation, you will need 2 programs: UCFs Real7ime Converter to discover the URL of the .rm file and Streambox VCR to capture the stream.

I've downloaded and can listen to it in the highest quality anytime I want to :-)

Couldn't you just provide the URL of the .rm file for us?

Neil

hmm yeah,thanks...I,ll just wait for the cd to come out,it will be eazier.

K.M.

Im recording this as I speak, because Sound Blaster Audigy just kicks ass, and I can record "as I hear it"

:)

-St. Yodes, who forgot his password...

Couldn't you just provide the URL of the .rm file for us?

Neil

rtsp://64.12.39.149:554/aol/us/aolmusic/artists/wmg/williams/williams_harrypotter2.rm

that's the url but you will still need streambox vcr to download the stream - rtsp (real time streaming protocol) will not be recognised by getright, internet explorer or most downloading software.

hmm yeah,thanks...I,ll just wait for the cd to come out,it will be eazier.

K.M.

Or you could not be sarcastic to someone who was just trying to provide information to the many people who have expressed a desire to download the stream.

I will buy the CD when it comes out as well, but until then, I want to listen to it (its FANTASTIC).

Re-encoding an .rm file as mp3 will dramatically reduce the quality.

You are much better off downloading the .rm file and playing that, as its only 32mb

I don't think any part of that score was composed by Williams.

It's an adaption of his material, but in a crude way. The new theme is probably Ross, it's a bit corny for Williams, at least in the harmonization and cross rythym (or lack thereof)

Ummmm folks I think it was already generally accepted that Ross was just going to arrange the new John Williams themes to fit certain scenes.

The themes composed are by john Williams. At least that is how it has been reported thus far. I don't think Ross would be give such minor credit if he wrote themes for the score.

Look all the reports are saying: Williams is writing the new themes and some music and Ross is arranging as such.

I am inclined to believe them. Especially since the new themes in this score sound like Williams style of music.

I don't see what is up with Hlao roo and the hating??

I mean I disliked both Minority Report and AOTC (as far as JW scores go) and I can generally accept this as good work from Williams.

Rogue, let's wait till we get more news before making up our minds.

I have not read anything that makes me believe Ross ONLY adapted Williams material and composed nothing new himself.

I'm surprised about how many people think they can dechipher what Ross composed and what williams composed, didn't those fake clips posted by ricard that "sounded like pure Williams" teach you anything?

Stefancos- getting ready for his concert experience, but taking the time to diss his fellow MB members nontheless. :biglaugh:

I have not read anything that makes me believe Ross ONLY adapted Williams material and composed nothing new himself.

Hey I am just going by what the CD;s producers or whoever was saying.

When this CD was first announced as a group effort they said the themes were gong to be done by Williams. I am inclined to believe them.

At this point, I'm inclined to agree with Rogue Leader. And, to add to his points, if Ross was composing most of the music, wouldn't he have gone to London and spotted the film with Columbus himself? He didn't do that though, Williams did.

It's been insisted upon in each report and press release, that Ross was adapting and developing material written by Williams. If this is not the case, and Alan is correct, Ross is either the most modest composer alive, or a complete idiot for not demanding he get proper credit.

As the official credits say:

Music by John Williams. Adapted by William Ross

So I doubt very much that Ross composed any of the new thematic material.

Ross is either the most modest composer alive, or a complete idiot for not demanding he get proper credit.

What would you give to work with Williams? ;)

The "Music by John Williams" credit is just a commercial ploy, it means something on the poster.

As far as I'm concerned, that score is not Williams. It's his motives, tunes and orchestrational techniques by derivation, but it's not Johnny.

Rogue, let's wait till we get more news before making up our minds.

I'm surprised about how many people think they can dechipher what Ross composed and what williams composed, didn't those fake clips posted by ricard that "sounded like pure Williams" teach you anything?

Well, too bad if YOU don't know Williams well enough - but please let those of us who do be. Track #2 is clearly Williams. Sorry if you can't hear it.

While my sources may be questionable (a post by Ford A. Thaxton is among them), they do remind me that 1) Williams has been our only public first-hand source thus far, and 2) Williams is famously modest, if not outright humble.

What I am overhearing is that Williams downplayed his contribution to Richard Dyer. Word is that he not only "mapped-out" the entire score for William Ross (as documented in the Boston Globe article), that he not only composed all of the new themes (again, reported in the Globe), but that he thoroughly composed more like 60 minutes of material, plus concert arrangements. Ross, therefore, probably did little other than what the credits say: Adapted and Conducted.

There are moments on the new score that do not strike me as being "Williams-like." Some of the wandering passages lack his usual subtle embellishments, and a couple of louder moments are atypically unsophisticated. Other passages seem fresher than what has come out of Williams' last few scores, which may be more proof of how good Ross is as a composer/arranger, a sign that Williams took what he learned the last time 'round and used it to the score's advantage, a superb job from Ross & orchestra, or (more likely) a combination of the above.

Whatever the case, I enjoy and admire the results. I am more concerned that the Academy rules almost certainly prohibit it from being eligible for Oscar consideration!

Jeffrey Wheeler

http://jeffreywheeler.cjb.com

The first and last tracks are clear examples of what Ross' colaboration may have produced: arrangements of already fully composed and developed melodies by John Williams in the last score. It was stated before : Williams will produce every new thematic material.

The "Music by John Williams" credit is just a commercial ploy, it means something on the poster.

Sorry! I forgot that you worked closely with the two composers. Please, tell us more!!!!!!!

Apart from any Williams/Ross discussion, I want to add that Warner must be happy for the general reaction to the score. We have been their guinea-pigs, and now they know they will sell many CDs, despite the fact it's not only Williams'.