LISTEN to CHAMBER OF SECRETS!!!!!!!!!

Bart

The "Music by John Williams" credit is just a commercial ploy, it means something on the poster.

Sorry! I forgot that you worked closely with the two composers. Please, tell us more!!!!!!!

LOL :biglaugh:;) LOL

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, It sounds like Williams. But I would not say ever that it is a masterpiece. (neither did i about AOC, nor MR)

But come on, a masterpiece cannot have 'Ticket's Please' and other noticeale cues all over the score. It has to be completely original (using Previous themes if it is part of a series of movies when needed)

I think the same with HP I, it is good, but it is not that original, but it it more than HP II, and you tell me HP II is better?

Don't make your love for HP cloud your mind.

Luke, who has already said that AOC is not a master piece, neither is TPM (but is very close ;) )

Anyways, every Williams score of this year has exceded any scores i have heard so far (in this year)

Sorry is my opinion, dont get mad at it, if you like it its fine for me. ;)

Apart from the No Ticket sounding cue that sound like Last Crusade,there's another cue that sounds a bit like the Circus Train chase music from Last Crusade in some way..

K.M.

It's an adaption of his material, but in a crude way.  The new theme is probably Ross, it's a bit corny for Williams, at least in the harmonization and cross rythym (or lack thereof)

i think that's more due to Ross adaptation,and that Williams did not conduct and put in his final touches to make it sound Totally like his own...

K.m.

Que sorpresas se lleva uno... Impresionante BSO, tan williams como siempre, bastante mejor que la piedra filosofal. Ya tiene su hueco en mi estanteria.

PD.- Hablo en español porque me sale de los cojones, notejode... :biglaugh:

Que sorpresas se lleva uno... Impresionante BSO, tan williams como siempre, bastante mejor que la piedra filosofal. Ya tiene su hueco en mi estanteria.

PD.- Hablo en español porque me sale de los cojones, notejode...   :biglaugh:

Read the MB rules.

K.M.

While my sources may be questionable (a post by Ford A. Thaxton is among them), they do remind me that 1) Williams has been our only public first-hand source thus far, and 2) Williams is famously modest, if not outright humble.

What I am overhearing is that Williams downplayed his contribution to Richard Dyer. Word is that he not only "mapped-out" the entire score for William Ross (as documented in the Boston Globe article), that he not only composed all of the new themes (again, reported in the Globe), but that he thoroughly composed more like 60 minutes of material, plus concert arrangements. Ross, therefore, probably did little other than what the credits say: Adapted and Conducted.

There are moments on the new score that do not strike me as being "Williams-like." Some of the wandering passages lack his usual subtle embellishments, and a couple of louder moments are atypically unsophisticated. Other passages seem fresher than what has come out of Williams' last few scores, which may be more proof of how good Ross is as a composer/arranger, a sign that Williams took what he learned the last time 'round and used it to the score's advantage, a superb job from Ross & orchestra, or (more likely) a combination of the above.

Whatever the case, I enjoy and admire the results. I am more concerned that the Academy rules almost certainly prohibit it from being eligible for Oscar consideration!

Jeffrey Wheelerhttp://jeffreywheeler.cjb.com

Good stuff, Jeffrey, thanks.

By the way, Morn, it's not as if Jeffrey hasn't been critical of JW before...

PD.- Hablo en español porque me sale de los cojones, notejode...   :biglaugh:

No hay ningún problema en que hables español. Pero te sugiero que la próxima vez moderes el tono. De lo contrario ese será tu último mensaje porque a me saldrá de los cojones.

Gracias,

Well done, Ricard. He didn't have to write that to give his opinion about Chamber of Secrets. Moreover, he forgot writing with accents.:biglaugh:

scissorhands - who must be the only one who has selected "Spanish" in the MB options. It says, for instance, "ver más emoticons" instead of "see more emoticons". Thanx for this option, Ricard.

scissorhands - who knows Merkel understood that and Ricard's post very well...

As the official credits say:

Music by John Williams. Adapted by William Ross

So I doubt very much that Ross composed any of the new thematic material.

I think that the C.D. album is exactly that .It gives us the 40 minutes of new music Williams wrote all by himself in an intact form,including the action cues(they are too Williamesque in every possible way it's VERY UNLIKELY for anyone else to have written them or even slightly adapted them),plus some re-arranged themes from the first movie by Ross to fill the rest

BUT

It doesn't say much as to the truckload of unreleased music from the full score....where I suspect THAT's the part where Ross did most of his adapting.

K.M.

I agree with you. The real extent of Ross colaboration is still to be heard.

Anyway, I fear that music form the 1st score may end up in the final film, like AOTC.

PLUS,williams said he wrote 40 minutes of NEW music,which doesn't exclude the fact he might have had done also a concert suite from materal of Sorcerer's Stone(Track 1),and re-tooled slightly Harry's Wondrous World for the ending cue to make it a more rounded off album,which he tends to do in his most recent albums.

K.M.

I had the impression I read JW would composed 40 minutes plus all new thematic material. I don't know if the concert suites (which are 2 as far as I can tell) of the new thematic material is included in these 40 minutes.

Im listening to the soundtrack right now... its amazing! When I heard the second theme I burst into exulted happiness...

can someone give a definitive method to converting the realplayer file into mp3's or wav's?

There are 4 concert arrangements,Track 1,2,3,and the last one,HWW,all done by Williams PLUS his intact 40 minutes of score on this albium.Shoot me if I'm wrong.

K.M.

What a fantastic delight to hear this, just as I was waiting for my promo copy!

Maybe all can now experience and take pleasure in some of Ross' sole compositions:

My Dog Skip (my absolute favourite!)

Amazing Panda Adventure

My Fellow Americans

The Evening Star

Tuck Everlasting (marvellous music!)

Yep, this definitely expands and improves upon The Philosopher's Stone!

I also can't figure out how to get streambox working... has anyone gotten this to work and can give instructions on converting the streaming file to a saveable format?

You know I listened to what our good buddy Master Skywalker said above regarding the TPM score being underrated and I might have to agree in some respects.

I think the release of AOTC has made me appreciate this score alot more.

I listened to it again recently and Williams CLEARLY put alot of work into that score. It may not have worked out as well as other scores from him, but it has alot of great work put into it.

Alot more than AOTC. :)

Current versions of Streambox will NOT record RealAudio. Real Networks filed a lawsuit against the makers of Streambox which resulted in a settlement to have that particular feature removed from the software.

I've just listened to the complete new CD of "...Chamber Of Secrets", and I have to tell you, there are shades of Williams' score for 'Episode Two' and the "No Ticket" cue from "...Last Crusade" here. And while it's true Williams had very little to do with the score, William Ross has done a good job just the same. One thing that makes this sequel score better than the rest is it doesn't have the Ken Thorne butchery of "Superman II".

One of the new themes sounds like a major key version of "Across The Stars" (the 'Episode Two' love theme), but the rest of the 'new' music sounds action packed. Ross certainly packs a punch here.

The choice of the London Symphony Orchestra was a good one...their take on Potter outdoes the London Metropolitan Orchestra's recording for the first Potter movie.

OK, that's my gripe. What's yours?

That re-vamped "Leaving Hogwarts" cue is soooo cool.Williams music there soars so high magestically it's almost a self parody,but I love it.What a finale!

K.M.

You guys are so fortunate to be able to hear it already! Guess what?, I don't have a soundcard in my computer which seems to be the golden key to open the Chamber of Secrets. Play me a funeral march! :)

I will patiently wait until the CD release date then. You have already lured me so much that I will buy the CD despite I have been sorta hesitant until today.

--------------------------

The company Y. Longbottom works for will never equip his computer with stuff like soundcard for there is officially no need for it. Nor they have any notion of who John Williams is, those skimping Sapheads!

Y:nod:L

To ME,TPM is an EXCELLENT Williams score,and YES,it SHOWS Williams worked his as off on it.AotC is below most anything he's written.

Not to me!

I don't have a soundcard in my computer

What use is it then? Throw it out. LOL

That re-vamped "Leaving Hogwarts" cue is soooo cool.Williams music there soars so high magestically it's almost a self parody,but I love it.What a finale!

Old one has more emotion.

If I threw it, I'd be thrown off the same hole in the wall right after my computer. It's my company's stuff, so that's why it's all here so backwoods-like. (At home, contrariwise, I have all I may wish to have except for, ehmm, Internet. But don't ask why...) :oops:

Hey, Morny, have you listened to the CoS already? Yourself as a long-time Williams' fan, too, I bet you can tell between Williams' and Ross' stuff. Do you think the significant portion of new thematic material is intact Williams' writing? For I fear Williams haters are already lurking in the twilight to say that the reason this new score has the "magic" is solely due to Ross' involvement.

Chase my gloom away, please.

Y:nod:L

OK, just to clarify things a little bit........ I talked to my friend at Heyman's company and he says it's mostly Williams on the CD. No new material by Ross, only adaptations for the movie as Williams couldn't do it because of time. They are wanting him solely for HP3 if he can do it. That is all I have to say for now. Bye bye bye

There is definately at lot of Williams on it, hard to tell who did what though. :) Ross usually sounds quite like Williams anyway from what I have heard, which isn't much but still.

Wheeler! Why if it isn't the famed Williams defender!  :)

Fighting for vermouth, justice, and the John Williams way! ;)

"I always sat in the back of the class so the teacher wouldn't disturb me while I composed. One day I looked up and saw a boy sitting across the aisle twirling his hair and studying the Mahler Fifth Symphony in a miniature score. He looked at me and said, 'D'ya know Mahler?' I said, 'Mahler stinks.' He got quite angry, grabbed what I was writing, tossed it back, and said, "Dishwater Tchaikovsky.' We started to argue, because I felt he hadn't even looked at it. Suddenly the teacher was calling both of us up and said, 'Get out!' She threw us out into the hall. I said to Benny, 'There, you got us thrown out of class. We don't even know what the homework is.' Benny said, 'Forget it. Wanna go to a rehearsal of the Philharmonic?' I asked him how we could. He said, "I know where there's a broken door.' I said sure." - Jerome Moross

No, from what I have listened to. This is totally unlike the Goldsmith issue, with that I had heard half of it! You are making out as if I had heard none on the list!

How do you spell love.

HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS.

I saw this thread this weekend and with my connection problems at home I didn't even attempt to listen.

I have read where people think this sounds like this or that. I tell you it sounds like Harry Potter music to me. Seriously, I did here some Poseidon Adventure around the 10 minute mark.

Edgar Allan Joe, who knows exactly where he will be November 12th, 10:00 am Tuesday morning. Best Buy.

And if I must choose between the 5 covers, I will. My only concern is will there be a "BONUS TRACK" on one, a card with another, a screen saver with another, like the AOTC fiasco.

If there is to be a bonus track, I may delay my purchase until that info is properly available.

No, but he can get extremely close from what I've heard. With Williams help, as someone else said Williams edited what Ross did, who knows. :)

Good stuff, Jeffrey, thanks.

By the way, Morn, it's not as if Jeffrey hasn't been critical of JW before...

Just sharing what I hear. Personally, I will be filing "CoS" under "Williams," not "Ross."

I am always critical of JW. It's just that he rarely gives me cause for criticism of the negative variety!!!