Movies Rock - CBS Special

Ray Barnsbury

As reported on the main page in October, John Williams is one of several performers who'll be paying tribute to "every dimension of music's leading role in moviemaking" during this CBS special coming up this Friday, Dec. 7 at 9:00. Browsing the lists of performers and presenters, I don't think there'll be much discussion on the art that is film scoring (can't imagine Fergie doing a monologue about the development of leitmotif), but it should be interesting to see what Williams will do. I'm surprised he's even listed; he doesn't really fit in with the rest of them. In any case, I'll be looking forward to this!

Link

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it looks like including Williams is just throwing a small bone to orchestral scoring while 95% of it will be about that...other stuff. On the positive side, no Zimmer maybe means no PotC.

Thye should ask Santaollala ,who singlehandedly changed the Hollywood aural landscape.

anyways it should be interesting.I bet Williams will do his Last Crusade train chase with/without score bit.

lets remember to drag this thread back up Friday so I remember to watch it

k.M.

I bet Williams will do his Last Crusade train chase with/without score bit.

That would be great, I've heard audio recordings of it but never seen it.

I've actually seen it twice :P but what was cool about the last one was he actually ran through it once without sound or orchestra and just talked about how he would score it while at the same time being a lot funnier than I've seen him

It'd be awesome if he did the same for this

That would be great, but it seems a little "high brow" for this kind of show...they'll probably have him play Star Wars or Indy and quickly leave the stage to make way for Usher.

I just found this online. Apparently, John Williams is one of several performers who'll be paying tribute to "every dimension of music's leading role in moviemaking" during this CBS special coming up this Friday, Dec. 7 at 9:00. Browsing the lists of performers and presenters, I don't think there'll be much discussion on the art that is film scoring (can't imagine Fergie doing a monologue about the development of leitmotif), but it should be interesting to see what Williams will do. I'm surprised he's even listed; he doesn't really fit in with the rest of them. In any case, I'll be looking forward to this!

Link

Ricard posted this on the main page on October 25th.

Not reading the main page eh? :P

They'll go to commercial when Williams performs.......;)

I see lots of TV promos for this....none of them mention JW of course.

But they show a glimpse of Harrison Ford.I bet he will present the JW segment who will conduct some Indy music.

Yeah, I feel bad for the tweens who'll have to sit through music without words during the Williams segment.

A lot of those lyrics probably shouldn't even count as words to begin with.

Movies Rock has started .

at least it's in HD.

They mentionned JW last in the intro,which goes to show how high he is in everyone elses priorities

K.M.

Whaddya bet he'll be last, just to milk the ratings from film score fans?

Well, thus far, John Legend started out promisingly on "As Time Goes By," but it quickly turned sour when they added a pop beat and Mary J. Blige. I changed the channel. I checked again, and somebody else, again, started out decent, and then they butchered it. I changed it. At this rate, when Johnny gets to conduct, we'll hear the E.T. techno remix.

there it is.

Harrison looks old.

oohhhh a standing ovation.JW is looking good.

blah he's doing the medley,didn't he do it at the Oscars in 2002?Wait it's not the same medley...

K.M.

And just like that, it's over.

That was disappointing. I mean, it's a wonderful montage but going to all the trouble of getting Williams just for that? Still, he looked like he was enjoying himself.

And now I can start watching something else. :sigh:

Man! I came in when they were in the middle of the Godfather. Here's hoping it'll pop up online. It was great to see that kind of crowd reaction at the end, though. And JW was looking good; no frailty as far as I could see.

I walked in from holiday shopping during the act right before Williams came on, great timing!

Could someone name the scores included in the medley? I knew most of them, but I rather enjoyed the ones I didn't recognize too...

Harrison Ford has had that earring for several years. Nothing new there.

I think I saw David Newman in the audience applauding Williams.

Two standing ovations? Much better than expected. You have to give it up for the master.

The medly was the same as the Oscar's one (or at least close) but it was still a good performance. Johnny seemed energetic and looked like he was enjoying himself. Good form.

I have never liked those medleys. It's like somebody's tuning a radio from one end to the other and every station is playing a film score. It's a dumbed-down sampler for all the people who preferred the rest of this lame show. And the performance wasn't very good, at least the brass; the high trumpet notes on Star Wars were painful.

It's obvious Goldsmith was just jealous of Williams receiving all that attention.

How many of you poor souls actually watched the whole show?

I caught Williams by luck. I forgot all about this show and just happened to be channel surfing at 9:30.

And the performance wasn't very good, at least the brass; the high trumpet notes on Star Wars were painful.

The Fox Fanfare was pretty bad, too.

How many of you poor souls actually watched the whole show?

I caught Williams by luck. I forgot all about this show and just happened to be channel surfing at 9:30.

Well I had it on the whole time until Williams showed up, but I was happily web surfing in silence (and watching a few South Park clips) while occasionaly glancing back to see what was happening.

what did he say?

From an excerpt from Carrie Goldsmith's biography about her father.

“Maybe if you’d stuck with ‘Jerrald,’” I teased him back, “you could have landed a cushy gig like the Boston Pops.”

Dad waved his hand. “That’s a crummy gig. It’s one third light classical, one third pop, and the rest a dog and pony show.”

But, I pointed out, public radio stations broadcast the Saturday concerts. Dad said that was why John thought he was Von Karian.

“Do you know that John was Grand Marshall of this year’s Rose Parade?” Dad asked me; I said no.

“I can’t fathom it. Waving like an idiot to the crowds, and then conducting a marching band. Why does he feel that necessary to do for his career?”