Question on 'The Queen'

Taikomochi

So, recently i acquired soundtrack to 'The Queen' by Alexandre Desplat and I had a question about Track 3, "The People's Princess I" and track 14, "The People's Princess II". Now, both of these tracks have the length of 4:08 and i can't notice any difference. Does anyone know any difference?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. I don't think it's put in instead ofsomething else, mroe like it's added on, for esthetic reasons that only John Williams truely seems to appreciate.

Is there are difference between "The Patriot" and "The Patriot Reprise"?

Yes, the latter features an extended drum/fife coda. That makes it my preferred version.

Ray explaining the difference between both Patriot cues seems to be one of the board's most recurring situations (out of the many). It almost beats Marc's Jurassic Park story or Joe making a coarse sex joke out of nowhere.

There's no place like home.

I'm sorry, but I've never bought the "listening experience" argument for why a track appears twice. It seems more an act of laziness than anything else, even if there are minor alterations. Something like Across the Stars isn't quite as bad as The Patriot and The Patriot Reprise, since the end credits suite on AOTC is quite long and has a very different ending, but I still don't like it. Give me fresh music!

Ted

I'd say Across the Stars is even worse. Because it takes (more or less) the climax of the whole work and puts it at the beginning. No wonder people hardly listen to full albums anymore, when it can only go downhill after the highlights at the beginning of the CD.

Carl Orff did it first.

Not really, since O Fortuna usually gets *recorded* (or performed, for that matter) twice.

Ray explaining the difference between both Patriot cues seems to be one of the board's most recurring situations (out of the many). It almost beats Marc's Jurassic Park story or Joe making a coarse sex joke out of nowhere.

Hey, I like to help out where I can...it's not my fault if people can't listen to the damn thing themselves! :)

I'd say Across the Stars is even worse. Because it takes (more or less) the climax of the whole work and puts it at the beginning. No wonder people hardly listen to full albums anymore, when it can only go downhill after the highlights at the beginning of the CD.
Carl Orff did it first.

Not really, since O Fortuna usually gets *recorded* (or performed, for that matter) twice.

But I bet he didn't hand-write it twice! He probably just told the orchestra to turn back to page 3, or made his poor copyist do it! If he'd had Sibelius or Finale that would have been a classic cut-and-paste job! :)

You're making me look like an old git telling the same story about "the old days" over and over again.

Whippersnapper!

Hey, I like to help out where I can...it's not my fault if people can't listen to the damn thing themselves! :lol:

I like both. No, I love both. The Patriot, is one of Williams finest moments.

You, disagree, moron? well eff you dipgarbage.

That's a good way of summing it up, Ray. The concert suite is very good, as is the piece for Ann and Gabriel (the love theme). But much of the actual underscore for the film is pretty standard stuff. Although I must admit, Tavington's Trap has some furious, low-tone action writing the likes of which Williams rarely goes for nowadays.

Ted

Oh my God, what have I done?

I should have used Morlock's repetitive praise for the calypso beats in the raptor scene of the Lost World for a better example.

I should have used Morlock's repetitive praise for the calypso beats in the raptor scene of the Lost World for a better example.

Wow, I wasn't aware my opinions were that well known!

Morlock- who hasn't talked about it all that much, and in general, quotes Jeff Bond about The Lost World calypso stuff

I think the concert suites reprises work very well in Angela's Ashes and Seven Years in Tibet.

It only works when they run out of score cues to put on the c.d