Discussing Williams on Other Message Boards . . .

AzOutcast

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! It is a very understated manifestation of my dissaproval , as it is unworthy of further elaboration

What cojones! Friends, it is this valor that made king mark the most respected member of the Phantom Zone Trio.

- Alan, bracing for a fierce slap-down from Steef...

What cojones! Friends, it is this valor that made king mark the most respected member of the Phantom Zone Trio.

That old institution crumbled years ago! Internal feuds were to blame, I believe...

A little way back but I felt I had to comment here:

that post you mention AZ, screams of utter ignorance, ingnorance of John Williams, ignorance of the Planets, and ignorance of Film Music in general. Yeah that poster has a love of LOTR that is fanboyish, which is ok, my love of Star Wars is too, yet Star Wars is a much better score than anything in the LOTR musical world, its not even close.

When people like that come on here, these newbies come here and make grandious statements, they can't back them up it sound like a so many others who have come here trying to pan this slant, like some cheap peddler with big balls, and small brains. When they say John stole Star Wars from the Planets thats not an opinion, its an attack on him and his music. To those people I say

Please take your sh!t elsewhere this stuff plays out of town now.

That's exactly what you just did Joe. You confess your 'fanboy' love of SW and then declare them better than LotR with no other evidence. You seem to give an awful lot of opinions about many scores as 'fact' with pretty much nothing to back them up. Tell me I'm wrong here...

What confuses me about many here, is that they clearly love Williams to a level where they say 'if JW scores this, we'll get a masterpiece, we always do', yet in the next thread we're attacking AotC, The Patriot and god knows what else to shreds. A little inconsistent don't you think?

That old institution crumbled years ago! Internal feuds were to blame, I believe...

Yes, in dramatic fashion, Steef declared his lordship over this board and the dissolution of the Phantom Zone Trio four years ago.

In viewing the thread in question over at FSM it was dead for over 3 years until a new poster brought it back up with this silly statement that made me laugh:

Posting here has been a bit eye-opening for me, because I wasn't aware that John Williams was this highly respected within this circle.

Among my friends and acquaintances (all the very musical sort, mind you), he's always been the butt of jokes. To call a piece Williams-esque is, indeed, the most cutting of insults, reserved for one's most despised musical enemies.

And I can't say I disagree.

To me he's almost the epitome of everything I hate about film scores. All those mushy, huge orchestrations and sugary themes. The sentimental prodding and shoving. The fear of anything approaching even the slightest ugliness or oddness (even his horror scores are blunted).

I like music with a bit of salt or grit or fire or a sense of the unexpected. Music that lacerates or somehow creates its own world.

He's clearly talented, I just find his work mostly trite and detrimental to the films he composes for.

Also Mark, this same person said Williams rarely uses dissonance, so on a scale of 1 to 100, I'd give them probably a 2 with regards to knowing what the hell they are talking about.

It's just quite sad and a little embarrassing when some people put such an effort into trying to convince themselves and others why they don't like and why others shouldn't like Williams' music.

The fear of anything approaching even the slightest ugliness or oddness (even his horror scores are blunted).

I like music with a bit of salt or grit or fire or a sense of the unexpected.

Of the top of my head, I can think of many examples of JW being odd or unexcpected, the most obvious being 1:13 of JW's arrangment of "The Star-Spangled Banner" for the World Series last year, which was both unexpected and brilliant.

What an idiot.

Well I can agree somewhat with that person's statement (FSM thread) because I have similar thoughts about Ennio Morricone but I'm not dumb enough to believe he's not widely respected.

If anything I've discovered these past few years that Williams is even more respected than I thought.