Which recent soundtrack do you prefer?

diskobolus

Of these recent films, which soundtrack do you prefer?  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• Gladiator
    • The Patriot
    • Braveheart
    • Saving Private Ryan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, the best soundtrack in the last 15 years.

It's perfect. Relaxed, subdued, restrained, emotive, superb.

It has music when the film exactly needs it. No more. And what an incredible music! Omaha Beach, High School Teacher and The Last Battle are incredible pieces.

It's a masterpiece. There is no doubt.

although i do think that the Saving Private Ryan score is excellent and compliments the images of the film to perfection, i prefer the Patriot as a soundtrack. SPR is no doubt a better score, in terms of its purpose, function, and importance in the film, and as scissorhands pointed out, it is very emotional. i can only listen to it at certain times, like Schindler's List. Hymn to the Fallen does me in. but the question asks which soundtrack you prefer, which is why i voted for The Patriot. as a musical experience, it is more well rounded and not as repetitive as the SPR soundtrack. it is for these reasons that as a listening experience, and as a soundtrack, i prefer the Patriot. but i will reconize SPR is hands down the better overall score.

Ted, who is now recalling the Jurassic Park/ Jaws score competition and gave a similar answer to this one in that i like Jurassic Park better as a listening experience, but knows that Jaws is unquestionably the better score.

I voted for Braveheart. I like all the soundtracks listed, but I believe that the music to Braveheart captured so much of the spirit of the film it is uncanny. I'm not that big of a James Horner fan, but I do recognize a fine listen when I hear it. ROTFLMAO

Just curious how the movie itself can sometimes influence our perceptions of the music (but i did say soundtrack, so pfft)... here we have two truly well made films, and then two movies which are entertaining and nothing beyond. yet each of the four has very good music.

Braveheart ofcourse. I agree with Stefan on this 100%. It's incredibly emotional and has some of the most gorgeous melodies ever written for a film. Gladiator comes second, the Saving Private Ryan and way behind that (not even in the same league) comes The Patriot one of the most heartless scores I know. That movie could have been saved by sweeping, epic, lush, beautiful themes. Instead we got one good love theme and another second-rate military theme that lacks in emotion and depth.

Bye,

Roald

Saving Private Ryan for me with the Patriot a close second.

I used to like Gladiator more than I do now, specially because I listened to other works by Zimmer and it's pretty much the same, plus, in some parts it's a complete and blatant rip-off of Wagner's Gotterdamerung.

Start posting your post number when it becomes significant. :shakehead:

Anyway, I dunno about Gotterdamerung. But the Holst Mars is an exaggerated and appropriate quotation.

Gladiator Sucked, but considering its Zimmer and the director who is afraid of the light...

Patriot was ok.

Never heard Braveheart, or seen it.

And Saving Private Ryan is just unlistenable to me. One of John's worst scores. Phoney sentametalism.

So I guess I must say Patriot.

I thoroughly enjoy "Braveheart."

It took me a couple of listens to completely enjoy "The Patriot."

Only about a third of "Gladiator" moves me.

"Saving Private Ryan" is a landmark film for Spielberg, and a successful change of pace for Williams.

Saving Private Ryan solely for Hymn to the fallen! I do like all the other three scores though. If A I had to put them in order it would be

SPR

Braveheart

Patriot

Gladiator

Braveheart is better then those other 3 scores combined.

:nono::pukeface:

It's one of the finest works of art in film music history.

8O :(:pukeface:

Stefancos- who does like Gladiator.

:pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface:

I'll remember that the next time you bitch and moan about Indiana Jones wearing a tie in The Last Crusade.

Stefancos- :roll:

Braveheart is better then those other 3 scores combined.

It's one of the finest works of art in film music history.

Stefancos- who does like Gladiator.

Also the one of the least original scores in the past decade :(

Morlock- Who voted for The Patriot, loves SPR, and likes Gladiator

:roll: At least he doesn't have Han Solo's hair cut.

From which film????

At least he doesn't have Luke's Aunt Beru haircut for ROTJ. LOL

I voted for Saving Private Ryan

then I would follow it with:

The Patriot

Braveheart

but I refuse to listen to that piece of junk called Gladiator.

Gladiator Sucked,  but considering its Zimmer and the director who is afraid of the light...

Patriot was ok.

Never heard Braveheart, or seen it.

And Saving Private Ryan is just unlistenable to me.  One of John's worst scores.  Phoney sentametalism.

So I guess I must say Patriot.

Interesting that The Patriot can escape your "phoniness" radar while Saving Private Ryan is so blatantly targeted.

Braveheart is, lyrically, a masterpiece...but the score's simple construction (the expert use of Celtic instrumentation obviously doesn't exempt the score from this consideration) is either its winning virtue -- or its fatal vice, depending on your point of view.

I've never been fond of Zimmer's generally electronic soundscapes, and the size of his fan base frightens me. I cannot fault those who enjoy his music, but I wish his influence in the film music world were not so pervasive.

Ocelot,we ALL know your sexual orientation.Do you REALLY have to put that what* I *find an offencive avater there.

geez,and people complained about 2 nude pics of Nat Portman.

K.M.

The Patriot is of course total coolness. :(

Gladiator and SPR are both awesome I really like both.

Braveheart is pretty good.

Justin -Who voted for........The Patriot! :(

Ocelot,we ALL know your sexual orientation.Do you REALLY have to put that  what* I *find an offencive avater there.

geez,and people complained about 2 nude pics of Nat Portman.

K.M.

So you are saying nude pictures of Portman are less 'immoral' than half nude pictures of this guys boyfriend? :?

Out of 5

The Patriot ****

SPR ****

Braveheart ****.5

Gladiator ***.5

So you are saying nude pictures of Portman are less 'immoral' than half nude pictures of this guys boyfriend?  :?

to me and probably many others that pic is more immoral.

K.M.Tolerant up to a certain point.

Because I'm intolerant of SOME things,such as that picture,while I am tolerant of Ocelot beeing gay,I find his blatent attempts to make the point clear annoying.We don't all live in California where everything is tolerated.And some posters here live in country where homosexuality is banned.

K.M.

Is the Portman picture you once had as an avatar a blatent attempt to show you are not gay?  LOL

Ricard deleted it anyways,even if it was barely visible and heavily censored.

K.M.

Is the Portman picture you once had as an avatar a blatent attempt to show you are not gay?  LOL

Ricard deleted it anyways,even if it was barely visible and heavily censored.

I didn't delete it. I asked you to change it because a few people complained.

Sorry,I misquoted you,you did ask me to change it.and I would like Ocelot to change his.

K.M.Who knows Crusher will throw a fit when he sees rthat.

Saving Private Ryan seems out of place up there.

Anyway I voted for Gladiator. I loved that score. Not very original? Sure! However, Hans Zimmer knows how to rock when he wants too. :(

Because I'm intolerant of SOME things,such as that picture,while I am tolerant of Ocelot beeing gay,I find his blatent attempts to make the point clear annoying.We don't all live in California where everything is tolerated.And some posters here live in country where homosexuality is banned.

K.M.

What countries are that, and why should Ocelot, or anyone else here who do not live in such countries take that into consideration?

Just be honest and admit that you are intolerant to homosexuals.

Stefancos- :roll:

Just goes to show you KM doesn't know what he is talking about.

Not everything is California is tolerated.

California only allows a certain number of fat people in their state.

I wanted to go visit my sister, but my permit for entry was denied. I was told lose 60lbs or reapply in 6 months whichever came first.