Theremin Scores

Indiana_Fett

Could you guys recommend some scores that utilize the theremin? I already have The Day the Earth Stood Still, Batman Forever, The Fury, Hellboy, and Mars Attacks, and I really like the sound of it. I hear Spellbound is a good score.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some theremin fun in Ghostbusters.

I've been lucky enough to see/hear a theremin performed in a live concert, it is a singular experience.

There's some theremin fun in Ghostbusters.

I've been lucky enough to see/hear a theremin performed in a live concert, it is a singular experience.

Yes I was there too. It was fun to see it live.

I'm not 100% sure but it's quite possible Akira Ifukube used a theremin in a few of his scores. Dagora and War Of The Gargantuas, to name a few, have cues that have a similar sound to a theremin.

Howard Shore's Soul of the Ultimate Nation video game score surprisingly uses theremin on many cues.

Two classics that no self-respecting thereminophile can do without are:

The Thing From Another World (Dimitri Tiomkin)

It Came From Outer Space (Herman Stein / Irving Gertz / Henry Mancini)

:lol:

I saw Jean Michel Jarre play a Theremin Live 2 weeks ago, was awsome!

Yeah, he used them a fair bit in his early work, and once again in recent years.

Did you go and see one of the new concerts where he's using analogues on stage?

Melange - Went to two Jarre concerts. Chronologie Tour Wembley (1993) and Concert Pour la Tolerance (1995)

I especially like that 'augmented octave' interval in Elfman's score (Mars Attacks). Really tongue-in-cheek :lol: .

There's something in the Fury score that I don't like. It's too scary I think.

Yeah, he used them a fair bit in his early work, and once again in recent years.

Melange - Went to two Jarre concerts. Chronologie Tour Wembley (1993) and Concert Pour la Tolerance (1995)

hey cool :rolleyes:

i went to see him on the Oxygene Tour, hes touring playing the full oxygene album live, with nothing pre-recorded. He played it all right, no mistakes, was incredible!

i want to go see him again!

I was at the Manchester Chronologie concert (1993), and the Oxygene 8-13 concert (1997) but I forget where the latter took place. The former was outdoors, the latter was indoors.

While there is doubt, the theremin was supposed to have been used in Franz Waxman's Bride Of Frankenstein.

John, Greta and I saw a wonderful performance of it being used in a cue from Bride during the Houston concert but according to the notes in the Silva re-recording there is some doubt as to whether or not it's used.

Sadly the cue in question on the Silva recording lacks the punch of the concert piece we heard and I don't think they used a theremin in the re-recording. I'll have to check my CD.

hey cool :) i went to see him on the Oxygene Tour, hes touring playing the full oxygene album live, with nothing pre-recorded. He played it all right, no mistakes, was incredible! i want to go see him again!

Great stuff. They do look good (people have put up

, from the Glasgow concert). It is great that he's returning to his roots in this way, because this is how I grew up with his music. Very introverted listening of his music. Lights off, big pair of headphones on, and drifting away into some other state of mind while listening to Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields, etc). I went to the big concerts later on. Amazing, but more extrovert. Unfortunately I knew nothing of these latest concerts until it was too late (for tickets). I only heard about them because of a BBC article about the recent one in UK. Jarre was very very influencial in my teenage years. After the 1995 concert in Paris, my life went in a very different direction and I lost contact pretty much. But when I listen now to Equinoxe,Magnetic Fields, and Rendezvous, I always feel nostalgia ;)
I was at the Manchester Chronologie concert (1993), and the Oxygene 8-13 concert (1997)

Great. Looks like there are a few JMJ listeners here. :)

hey cool :) i went to see him on the Oxygene Tour, hes touring playing the full oxygene album live, with nothing pre-recorded. He played it all right, no mistakes, was incredible! i want to go see him again!

Great stuff. They do look good (people have put up

, from the Glasgow concert). It is great that he's returning to his roots in this way, because this is how I grew up with his music. Very introverted listening of his music. Lights off, big pair of headphones on, and drifting away into some other state of mind while listening to Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields, etc). I went to the big concerts later on. Amazing, but more extrovert. Unfortunately I knew nothing of these latest concerts until it was too late (for tickets). I only heard about them because of a BBC article about the recent one in UK. Jarre was very very influencial in my teenage years. After the 1995 concert in Paris, my life went in a very different direction and I lost contact pretty much. But when I listen now to Equinoxe,Magnetic Fields, and Rendezvous, I always feel nostalgia :)
I was at the Manchester Chronologie concert (1993), and the Oxygene 8-13 concert (1997)

Great. Looks like there are a few JMJ listeners here. :)

I was a bit war about saying i listen to Jean Michel Jarre here, but to be honest I don't mind what people think, I think hes awsome!

you know hes very different to John Williams, I love both there works. I met Jean Michel at the concert he signed the Old LP for me China In Concerts and an Oxygene booklet, it was awsome! i had to wait two hours in the cold waiting, but it was really worth it in the end :)

Equinoxe 4 is my all time favourite track, and yes the music does take you somewhere else if you sit there and close your eyes, its fantastic music. ;) Im glad there are other Jarre Listners here :) (Im still buzzing over the concert as uve probably guessed :D)

I was at the Manchester Chronologie concert (1993), and the Oxygene 8-13 concert (1997) but I forget where the latter took place. The former was outdoors, the latter was indoors.

i was only 6 years old when the Chronologie Tour was in the UK, i wish i would have been older to go and see it. That would have been INCREDIBLE!!!

i was only 6 years old when the Chronologie Tour was in the UK, i wish i

would have been older to go and see it. That would have been INCREDIBLE!!!

It was certainly good, and it was my first Jarre concert so I was absolutely buzzing. I was probably about 18 or so.

It was an absolute dream come true to be at a Jarre concert, after watching the Houston, Docklands, Lyon, and Paris 1990 videos for years like a fanatic. Even though it was the first time he chose to scale down from his vast concerts to mini portable ones (for the European tour) , the plus side of that was that you were much closer to him as an audience in an actual arena, and when

began playing, it almost needed people to chain me down because I got so pumped up..hehe. Hearing that piece live, and feeling the sheer power of it rumble through you is something else I can tell ya. :)

Having said all this, the Concert Pour la Tolerance concert in Paris was far superior in terms of musical variety and overall feel (imo). The problem with the Chronologie tour, was that lots of it musically was naturally focused on the Chronologie album (not all of which I like, apart from some really great movements in it). Famous hits were played, but not the obscure ones.

Paris 1995 was like one huge outdoor party where everybody and anybody was invited, and had a totally different vibe from the ticketed concert in wembley. I don't know how many people eventually got there by evening on the grass in front of the Eiffel tower, but it was a lot. And the start was amazing with the air force jets doing a fly over. None of us expected it, and the thrill just pulsed through the crowds as the countdown on screen happened. And the best element of all was the range of music that he played from his career. So much was in it, including obscure movements from Equinoxe, an elaborate performance of Magnetic fields one, the best (and rarely played since Dockland) movements from Revolutions, Waiting for Cousteau, Zoolook, and more. Some material, he hadn't performed since the

in the late 70s.

Unfortunately the official film of the Concert pour la Tolerance concert is medicore and concentrated largely on stage, to the exclusion of all else that was going on. Sound quality is terrible from the beginning and doesn't portray what it actually sounded like. Plus, there are some pieces Jarre played which didn't make it on the final release of footage either. Bizzare. Luckily I filmed quite a bit of it on a video camera, and still have the footage (including the spectacular ending, which even the professional camera men seem to miss, which I found bizzare). I must put it up on YouTube sometime :)

yes the music does take you somewhere else if you sit there and close your eyes, its fantastic music. ;)

I think some of the most surreal movements are the soundscapes he toyed with, particularly in the later stages of the album version of Magnetic Fields 1. It is incredibly surreal, hearing whispering voices and swooshing sounds coming from all angles in your mind. Lush soundscapes, straight out of a salvador dali painting. Really took me out there, as a teenager hehehe. It's great that you got to meet him, and even greater that his father was also famous for so many memorable movie themes.

i was only 6 years old when the Chronologie Tour was in the UK, i wish i

would have been older to go and see it. That would have been INCREDIBLE!!!

It was certainly good, and it was my first Jarre concert so I was absolutely buzzing. I was probably about 18 or so.

It was an absolute dream come true to be at a Jarre concert, after watching the Houston, Docklands, Lyon, and Paris 1990 videos for years like a fanatic. Even though it was the first time he chose to scale down from his vast concerts to mini portable ones (for the European tour) , the plus side of that was that you were much closer to him as an audience in an actual arena, and when

began playing, it almost needed people to chain me down because I got so pumped up..hehe. Hearing that piece live, and feeling the sheer power of it rumble through you is something else I can tell ya. :o

Having said all this, the Concert Pour la Tolerance concert in Paris was far superior in terms of musical variety and overall feel (imo). The problem with the Chronologie tour, was that lots of it musically was naturally focused on the Chronologie album (not all of which I like, apart from some really great movements in it). Famous hits were played, but not the obscure ones.

Paris 1995 was like one huge outdoor party where everybody and anybody was invited, and had a totally different vibe from the ticketed concert in wembley. I don't know how many people eventually got there by evening on the grass in front of the Eiffel tower, but it was a lot. And the start was amazing with the air force jets doing a fly over. None of us expected it, and the thrill just pulsed through the crowds as the countdown on screen happened. And the best element of all was the range of music that he played from his career. So much was in it, including obscure movements from Equinoxe, an elaborate performance of Magnetic fields one, the best (and rarely played since Dockland) movements from Revolutions, Waiting for Cousteau, Zoolook, and more. Some material, he hadn't performed since the

in the late 70s.

Unfortunately the official film of the Concert pour la Tolerance concert is medicore and concentrated largely on stage, to the exclusion of all else that was going on. Sound quality is terrible from the beginning and doesn't portray what it actually sounded like. Plus, there are some pieces Jarre played which didn't make it on the final release of footage either. Bizzare. Luckily I filmed quite a bit of it on a video camera, and still have the footage (including the spectacular ending, which even the professional camera men seem to miss, which I found bizzare). I must put it up on YouTube sometime :lol:

yes the music does take you somewhere else if you sit there and close your eyes, its fantastic music. :baaa:

I think some of the most surreal movements are the soundscapes he toyed with, particularly in the later stages of the album version of Magnetic Fields 1. It is incredibly surreal, hearing whispering voices and swooshing sounds coming from all angles in your mind. Lush soundscapes, straight out of a salvador dali painting. Really took me out there, as a teenager hehehe. It's great that you got to meet him, and even greater that his father was also famous for so many memorable movie themes.

wow! wish I could have gone! sounds amazing!

Midsomer Murders (TV) by Jim Parker.

Also some in Eric Whitacre's Godzilla Eats Las Vegas! for concert band as a joke (pretty much as everything else in that piece ;)).

• 12 years later...