Question for the committee

ocelot

I am in complete irritation of spirits. I am perplexed and indeed vexed as to what I should buy in regards to the ET DVD. What exactly would I be missing, Williams wise, and why have I been talking as if I am Maggie Smith?

Seriously though, would I be missing the Williams documentaries, or the 2002 live stuff, or the ability to view the film with the live recording if I buy the 2 disk version?

Thank you!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From all I've read (I don't have the DVDs myself yet), the 3-disc set has TWO Williams featurettes, while the 2-disc set has only one (right?). Also, the documentary has been shortened for the 2-disc set, the 3-disc set has a longer version. Finally, only the 2-disc version (!) has a DTS track for the original version of the movie.

Marian - who will probably have to buy the 3-disc set.

I see, the 50 dollar version it is then..... Unless anyone else wants to say anything?! And who bought what so far?

Thanks Marian :)

Go for the 3-disc set, especially if you like the movie. The tons of behind the scenes footage are worth it and the "music of John Williams" is a must-have featurette for any fan of the composer.

Make a few extra bucks by first selling your 20th anniversary edition CD if you have one, since it comes with the set (albeit without its own jewel case, but it DOES include the booklet). Also invest in a 2-disc DVD plastic keepcase for your 1982 version disc and supplemental disc, then file the useless and pathetic packaging (along with the 2002 version DVD) in the back of a closet somewhere, and you're all set.

(albeit without its own jewel case, but it DOES include the booklet).

WAIT THERE: You meant triptic, RIGHT? I hope it is not a BOOKlet.

Also invest in a 2-disc DVD plastic keepcase for your 1982 version disc and supplemental disc, then file the useless and pathetic packaging (along with the 2002 version DVD) in the back of a closet somewhere, and you're all set.

LEt me put it in this way: WITHOUT THE 20th VERSION YOU WOULD HAVE NOT HAD THE ORIGINAL RELEASE IN DVD and EXPANDED SCORE IN YEARS, not to mention the featurettes, who could never been made.

Respect the SEs for what they give you. This also goes for SW SEs, except for the DVD thing, but the score is not expanded, it is complete.

Darth Luke, angry becasue people cannot satnd the SE regardless the good thing they come with. :angry:

I'm starting to hear either AOC track 11 or ROJ Dark Side Beckons in my ears, so look out :devil:

Respect the SEs for what they give you. This also goes for SW SEs

You're beginning to sound obsessive, Luke.

WWII brought a lot of political improvements(UN, for one) long-term wise, and yet you don't see people thanking Hitler or Toto, do you?

-ROSS, wondering if the example was appropiate

NOt quite sure, I think you lost the plot with that one Ross..... What does dorothy's dog have to do with anything?

And I see it is uninimous that I should go for the wonderbra DVD packaging for ET. Thanks.

Respect the SEs for what they give you. This also goes for SW SEs

You're beginning to sound obsessive, Luke.

WWII brought a lot of political improvements(UN, for one) long-term wise, and yet you don't see people thanking Hitler or Toto, do you?

-ROSS, wondering if the example was appropiate

Please be either clear in your examples or do not make strange ones. You are comparing the SEs with A WAR or Hitler??! NOW, I HAVE HEARD EVERYTHING :roll:

And of course, people who in every SW thread has to bitch about the new trilogy ir the SEs are not obsessive, right? Not pointing to anyone :roll:

It is doubtful that I will have enough money to get the 3 disc version. Not with AOTC (forgive me Neil! :) ) Minority Report, and BTTF comming up.

Justin -Who will have to settle for the 2disc set probably! Oh whoa is me!!!! :cry:

:)

Luke,

It's not they are bad, even though I personally think they are pretty awful, but the fact that they went all out to make them look great and didn't care about the script or acting or plot, or any of that stuff that makes a movie a movie. Otherwise it might as well just be a ride. What's the point of it? I mean, it's as if they were made for the intelect level of some branch of neo-neanderthal mole people or people with ADD, although I have the latter and I didn't like it either so there goes that theory....

However, that doesn't mean that you or anyone else can't think of them as masterpieces of the silver screen.

It's all got to do with taste.

Please be either clear in your examples or do not make strange ones. You are comparing the SEs with A WAR or Hitler??! NOW, I HAVE HEARD EVERYTHING  :roll:  

I am not comparing them. I'm simply stablishing a parallelism. There are a lot of things that brought good consecuences. That doesn't mean that the thing in itself was good. I thought it was pretty clear.

And of course, people who in every SW thread has to bitch about the new trilogy ir the SEs are not obsessive, right? Not pointing to anyone  :roll:

You are very right there. But that does not exempt you from guilt.

NOt quite sure, I think you lost the plot with that one Ross..... What does dorothy's dog have to do with anything?

Funny. I *THINK* that Toto was the name of general who plotted the Pearl Harbor attack. I don't remember the exact name, I just know it was a funny one.

-ROSS, too damn lazy to look it up

Tojo, not Toto, and it was Yamamoto who planned the attack, but none of it has to do with AOTC, except they were both sneak attacks, one against an unsuspecting movie going public that thought maybe, just maybe Lucas could correct his mistakes.

Thank you Joe.

And, anyway, I just chose the most popular example. Still, I was kinda high when I wrote that. :)

-ROSS

:) Mulan (Complete) Now that's good sense of rythm!

Please be either clear in your examples or do not make strange ones. You are comparing the SEs with A WAR or Hitler??! NOW, I HAVE HEARD EVERYTHING

Hey, I can't think of a crime on culture that Hitler did that was worse. :banghead:

The 3 disc set will be released in the UK on 9th December 2002. I'd expect release dates in other European countries to be similar. The DVD content should be the same as the R1, but it may not have the 20th anniversary CD.

The 3 disc set will be released in the UK on 9th December 2002.  I'd expect release dates in other European countries to be similar.  The DVD content should be the same as the R1, but it may not have the 20th anniversary CD.

Was that confirmed by Universal? Since it looks that other european contries are only getting it on early 2003...

Yep, go for the 3-disc set without hesitation! :music:

Does the 3 dvd set was released in UK? As a zone 2 dvd, that is...

No Miguel, unfortunately the box set is not being released in the UK, had to get it through an import stockist. They have it reasonably priced actually, do you want their details?

The 3 disc set will be released in the UK on 9th December 2002.  I'd expect release dates in other European countries to be similar.  The DVD content should be the same as the R1, but it may not have the 20th anniversary CD.

Oh! That's news to me, I thought Universal were'nt going to release it over here? Cool!

Ignore my previous message then! :music:

It is doubtful that I will have enough money to get the 3 disc version. Not with AOTC (forgive me Neil! :music: )

No need to apologize to me. It's not my money being spent on that tripe.

Oh and AOTC is not a limited availability item the way E.T. is supposed to be, so you might want to consider getting E.T and buying AOTC a few months down the line. Maybe you can even get a used copy cheap at some point.

Also, I'm sure Best Buy will have some of these movies dirt cheap on "Black Friday" if you want to brave the crowds.

Neil - mail order forever!

What do you mean Mail Order Forever?  Are you getting married?  Does your gf know?

It means I don't "brave the crowds" as I mentioned doing in my previous post. I buy my DVD's by mail order.

Neil - NOT getting married