Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Tributes! (for Seiji)

Just been listening to the CSO Concert Recording.

Tributes! (for Seiji) is such a fantastic piece. It's so well crafted and thought out. Intricate interplay between parts, complex melodic writing, brilliant orchestration, original and innovative harmonic progressions, etc. What a brilliant piece!

What does everyone else think of this work, and does anyone else know any more about it - i.e. what inspired Williams to write it?

Just been listening to the CSO Concert Recording.

Tributes! (for Seiji) is such a fantastic piece. It's so well crafted and thought out. Intricate interplay between parts, complex melodic writing, brilliant orchestration, original and innovative harmonic progressions, etc. What a brilliant piece!

What does everyone else think of this work, and does anyone else know any more about it - i.e. what inspired Williams to write it?

I think it was written in celebration of Seiji Osawa's 60th birthday.

According to an obscure website I found on the internet, it was premiered on 22nd April 1999 in recognition of Seiji Ozawa's 25-year association with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. I dare say Johnny and Seiji have whiled away many a happy hour downing shots of sake and mulling over old times.

The piece is indeed conceived as a tribute to Williams' long-time friend Seiji Ozawa in the form of a kind of little Concerto for Orchestra. Williams said the piece gave him the opportunity to explore several unorthodox instrumental combinations and groupings, in which all the sections bounce in and out several thematic "ruminations". It's indeed an impressive piece, a real tour-de-force for the entire orchestra, but it's lightweight and exihilarating in its nature.

You can find several info about the piece on Markus Hable's great website.

According to an obscure website I found on the internet, it was premiered on 22nd April 1999 in recognition of Seiji Ozawa's 25-year association with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. I dare say Johnny and Seiji have whiled away many a happy hour downing shots of sake and mulling over old times.

Good job. I think I am confusing the piece with To Lenny, to Lenny! which was written for Bernstein's 60th brithday.

I also love the American Journey pieces played here. I always found the c.d. recording is a bit lifeless (like Call of the Champions) ,so I really wanted a good re-recording without the poems . And there's kick ass new endings to Immigration and Building and Civil Rights sections. That made me really happy.

if this concert had Soundings it would have been perfect.

K.M.

I had the luck to attend those magnificent concerts last November. In that same program, Williams and the CSO gave terrific performance of the two pieces from Witches of Eastwick ("The Balloon Scene" and "The Dance of the Witches") and "Adventures on Earth" from E.T., not forgetting also the gorgeous concert arrangement of The Accidental Tourist as an encore.

In that same program, Williams and the CSO gave terrific performance of the two pieces from Witches of Eastwick ("The Balloon Scene" and "The Dance of the Witches")

Wow, hearing those rarely performed Witches pieces live would be amazing!

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks "Fanfare for a Festive Occasion" is just great

it's a Williams fanfare not even available as a bootleg recording.

But now it is... :lurk:

And the people wait for the music to end before appaluding. NEAT!

As a curiosity, it reminds me of the main theme from Lennertz medal of honor Rising sun, i think.

But now it is... ;)

As a curiosity, it reminds me of the main theme from Lennertz medal of honor Rising sun, i think.

No it's not .Celebration Fanfare is not Fanfare for a Festive Occasion

But now it is... ;)

No it's not .Celebration Fanfare is not Fanfare for a Festive Occasion

lol sorry