Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

A friend of mine doesn't like Superman. He thinks the character and the old movies are silly. He wasn't interested in Man Of Steel either ... that is, untill he watched the trailer. He simply can't believe how good it looks!

Other people are blown away too. It seems Nolan and Snyder are succeeding in their mission.

The conservative Jwfan: It's different so it's not good. If wish Christopher Reeve was still alive.

Alexcremers: It's not Snyder enough.

Other people: Wow, this movie could save Superman's ass!

Alex

Let's not make great leaping assumptions based on the reaction of your mate and some YouTube commentators. I'm not saying the movie won't be well received, but leave the hyperbole out till nearer the time, yeah? It's unbecoming ;)

Another origin story. Wonderful.

Yes. Yes they are. In fact in this genre they are often the best.

Meh, I dunno. Doesn't really tell you about the plot of the film or what the action scenes will be like.

Are you serious? It's clearly a retelling of the origin story, and there's a LOT of action hinted at in the trailer without revealing all the money shots.

No, it doesn't tell me anything about the plot. It shows Clark as a kid saving a bus, his father telling him to be careful, and then random shots of things that have no context. The trailer doesn't tell us who the bad guy is, what his motivations are, or even the general tone the film will have once we get past the childhood stuff and into adult Clark's live. It just shows him flying away from Antarctica and grabbing Louis' hand.

Do you really need to see those things before you decide whether you want to see the movie? It's Superman: 2013! You either know already that you want to see it or you hate comic book movies. Can't any mystery be left for the movie itself, does the trailer have to serve as a pre-film summary?

While there is not a lot of plot details in the trailer, it is pretty clear that Superman will have an actual character arc in this film, which is something new. Maybe that will help to engage a lot of people who dismiss the old films and most comic book for making the character flat. That would be a good thing.

Karol

This is not a criticism to Zack (who probably had little or nothing to do witht this trailer), but in general. I really hate these quick cuts in these trailers, you see nothing. I know it's a sign of the times but it just makes trailers pointless.

In Donner's flm Clark says I have all these powers and I couldn't even save him.

In Snyders' film Clark says I have all these powers, why do I have to be so different, why am I burdened?

Michael Shannon is AWESOME on Boardwalk Empire. Every scene he's in he is just a supreme pleasure to watch.

The cast of this movie is great, no doubt about that.

If this trailer is any indication, you believe a man can fly, but he's rather wish he couldn't.

An ungrateful misery guts superhero. Oh goody!

John's theme would have been all wrong anyway. Can You Read My Mind would need replacing with Radiohead.

In Donner's flm Clark says I have all these powers and I couldn't even save him.

In Snyders' film Clark says I have all these powers, why do I have to be so different, why am I burdened?

Donner's film hardly portrays the definitive Superman. Hell, the whole "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" stuff is from the old tv show, not the comics. Superman has been a character for almost seventy-five years and has gone through a lot of development, and gasp, a lot of questioning why he has this power and why he can't be normal like everyone else. In case you forgot, Donner de-powered him in Superman 2, so he had Superman literally choosing to not be Superman anymore.

This film is showing why he chooses to become the man that everyone loves. The scene with Jonathan probably is setting up Clark's dual identity, as that "maybe" is clearly the beginning of a larger conversation. The Donner movies showed a very narrow view of Superman and unfortunately have left many believing that this is all that he is. Hell, even Lois and Clark did a better job of showing the conflict between the man and the suit. I love the original film and it does a great job of showing Golden Age Superman, but this film looks like it can be the more definitive view of the character.

Haha! I've kind of felt the same - that this film will take that approach. The trailer "look" interesting but didn't leave me any more excited to see it. I've been obsessed with Superman since I was old enough to recognize him. While I see Superman as the "overgrown Boy Scout" who does the right thing simply because it is the right thing and because he can, I'm willing to give this a chance.

I want this Superman movie to be its own thing. I don't want a better version of Superman Returns. I don't want another spiritual sequel to Donner's movie, to basically be Superman 6 if you count 3, 4, and 5. I don't want a remake of Donner's original movie. I want something fresh and new and distinct, and if that means we have to start deeper in the murky bottoms of a dark contemporary world to make Superman angry before he can stand for TJ&TAW, I'm ready to accept that.

For the rest of you, uh, the 1978 movie is on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray. It's not going anywhere.

I have to say that, for me, the Donner film is nowhere near a definitive view on the character or something like that.

I'll be disappointed if I don't.

I want a Superman movie I feel like I want to see more than once.

I loved these films when I was 16. Now I've moved on.

I've always thought that the Donner Superman is a bit of an idiot, because when he repairs the dam to save all those people, Lois dies. When he rewinds the earth to save Lois, he can't be at the dam so all those people drown. Oops, we're not supposed to notice.

Eh? It's one of the biggest, most known plot holes in the history of the movies. Of course, that was never gonna stop Wojo from pulling out of his sleeve like a washed up street magician performing for hot coffee and a donut.

I have to say that, for me, the Donner film is nowhere near a definitive view on the character or something like that.

I'll be disappointed if I don't.

I want a Superman movie I feel like I want to see more than once.

what a stupid fking statement. Completely idiotic. The wonder of films is they survive and you can carry them with you all of your lives.

Nor is it mine. I was born about seven years later and post-Crisis on the Infinite Earths Superman seems much more like this one.

Karol

what a stupid fking statement. Completely idiotic. The wonder of films is they survive and you can carry them with you all of your lives.

Pssst. Chaac's not cremers. You can drop the third grade name-calling.

Not in the case of Superman 2, 3 and 4.

Loved them as a kid, but can't take them serious now.

The world-turning wasn't a great solution, but I am glad that it ended up officially at the end of I and not II. At least with the first film it feels thematically satisfying, even if it doesn't make sense.

I'm not so sure MOS is even going to simply be "why am I so different?" I get the sense from the Clark/Jonathan "maybe" dialogue that there might be more of a theme of paternal caution and fear vs. youthful optimism and trust. Not that Jonathan Kent is going to be a cantankerous worry-wart or anything, but that his traditional sound upbringing might be made slightly more complex by his fear for Clark, and Clark is going to have to wrestle with that side of things.