Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

You should check it out, it's a good show with a fantastic score

yes, i have heard parts of the score (mostly the slow cues), which -although I think they are on the verge of being simplistic- I like them, and understand that the time frame for the composition was very short.

Nah, he had plenty of time to develop his music. The show was on the air for 6 years so he wrote a lot of different music, you might not have heard the best stuff.

LastEmperor_QFC_BD_inlay_HR-2013361512_z

Finally it's available in my country! Now I have to know whether the quality is any good. (Quality Film Collection is the budget series of A-Film - there's usually no extras features - very bare bones) Price: 9.99 Euro

Alex

Finally it's available in my country! Now I have to know whether the quality is any good. (Quality Film Collection is the budget series of A-Film - there usually no extras features - very bare bones) Price: 9.99 Euro

Alex

And which country is this?

Until now the Japanese release is the best and the only one which shows the film in the (almost) original aspect ratio of 2.35:1. (not in that cut 2.02:1 that is in other releases) and has a DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio and features both the theatrical and extended versions of the film.

In what aspect ratio is this?

The Criterion version isn't definitive?

In no way!

Criterion: cropped aspect ratio, DTS-HD MA 2.0, theatrical version only

Japanese release: original aspect ratio, DTS-HD MA 5.1, theatrical and Extended version

unfortunately the japanese release hasn't any English subtitles for any international viewer.

(yeah, I know the film is in English, but I'm talking about those - including me - who understand better reading subtitles)

here you can see comparisons between the original and cropped aspect ratio.

the original gives more depth!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=135185&page=3

Finally it's available in my country! Now I have to know whether the quality is any good. (Quality Film Collection is the budget series of A-Film - there usually no extras features - very bare bones) Price: 9.99 Euro

Alex

And which country is this?

Until now the Japanese release is the best and the only one which shows the film in the (almost) original aspect ratio of 2.35:1. (not in that cut 2.02:1 that is in other releases) and has a DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio and features both the theatrical and extended versions of the film.

In what aspect ratio is this?

Belgium. According to the A-Film website, it's anamorphic 16:9 - 2.35:1 and sound is 5.1. It's only the theatrical cut since it doesn't mention extended cut.

Is it a reliable site? because many sites make often mistakes in the technical specifications. They just put 2.35:1 and that's all.. (I have found many mistakes in bluray.com too)

and is it DTS-HD MA 5.1?

Does it have English subtitles?

Sorry for the lots of questions, but i'm interested in it very much! :)

edit: never mind. Just saw it too:

http://www.a-film.be/dvd/00026240/The-Last-Emperor

Belgium. According to the A-Film website, it's anamorphic 16:9 - 2.35:1 and sound is 5.1. It's only the theatrical cut since it doesn't mention extended cut.

Since when are Blu-rays anamorphic?

I believe that refers to the print, not to the video process. The film is shot in scope (2.35:1) and probably with an anamorphic lens.

I can imagine it looks beautiful on blu ray, too bad it's a snoozer story wise. still it held my interest better than say Gandhi.

I don't remember this one as a snoozer but as a beautiful tragedy. However, the image quality of this Blu-ray release it terrible, IMO. Too much brightness, noise or grain and the colors look pale. Admittedly, the colors of my DVD are way too saturated, at least the images look like oil paintings of the old masters. I'm disappointed.

BTW, filmmusic, there are no English subtitles.

Alex - who just found out there was a 3D showing of The Last Emperor at Cannes a few days ago ... 3D?!

I don't remember this one as a snoozer but as a beautiful tragedy. However, the image quality of this Blu-ray release it terrible, IMO. Too much brightness, noise or grain and the colors look pale. Admittedly, the colors of my DVD are way too saturated, at least the images look like oil paintings of the old masters. I'm disappointed.

BTW, filmmusic, there are no English subtitles.

So, I guess, it was worse than these 2?

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=18710&cap2=18690&art=full&image=0&cID=1509&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

I don't understand why they shot it in English. It's weird. You have this scene with the kid in from of a lot of people with some guy saying something aloud in some Chinese dialect and then they start talking in English even though they are supposed to be speaking said Chinese dialect. It takes me out of the movie.

For the same reason they speak English in Gladiator, Troy, Alexander, Spartacus, Cleopatra, Schindler's List, Ben-Hur, 300, Rome, I, Claudius, ... They are made for an English speaking audience. The Last Emperor is a western movie with a western view about a Chinese story.

Total meh at the concept and I'm more annoyed by it as time passes.

Can you imagine Alexander in koiné Greek? Much more appropiate! I think language is an element of the setting just as the costumes or the locations are. Plus, one of the advantages of cinema is that you can make the characters speak almost anything and the audience can still be universal and understand it thanks to subtitles. Something very rarely taken advantage of.

It's movies. It has always been that way. It doesn't bother me in the least. I do hate the concept of dubbing. I want to hear the real voice of the actor I'm seeing ... and I would probably want to hear him act in his own language too. Depardieu sucks when he acts in English.

Alex

Dubbing has nothing to do with what I'm talking about but I normally hate it too, as long as I give a damn about the film I'm seeing.

It doesn't bother you in the least? You're too accustomed to it. But it prevents films from reaching their full potential.

Not when it's with American or English actors. It's the same in literature. Shakespeare wrote in English, but Titus was a Roman. I don't think too many people are bothered with that.

Well of course if they make a film about Romans for example they shouldn't go with Anglophone actors lol that'd be horrible.

Shakespeare wrote theatre for an audience in England centuries ago. It's a completely different form, and a completely different cultural and technological context. That example is just silly.

Is it? The example shows how long audiences are accustomed with hearing actors act in a language that is not the mother tongue of the characters.

I don't understand the first part of your post. You sound drunk. Romans are almost always played by Anglophone actors.

To be honest, I still don't know why you are against it. I don't see what is to be gained by opposing it. If we continue the practice, then they shouldn't speak English in a galaxy far, far away either.

I just meant that if you shoot a film in Latin, anglophone actors will have more trouble than actors with other linguistic backgrounds. They tend to inject vowels that aren't there and some have trouble with alveolar trills and taps. Actors from Italy and Spain might do something quite good with a pair of explanations.

SW is fantasy. Fantasy in a secondary world might as well be shot in English or Maori or Thai or Finnish. It doesn't matter. Really, it depends on the film.

Yes, that would hurt the performance. Anglophone actors don't have a feeling with Latin, Chinese and Ancient Greek. It wouldn't be much good, I'm afraid.

Indeed, it doesn't matter, just like Gladiator, which is fantasy as well. It's all movies!

Most English actors can't even get the American dialect right (and vice versa) but that doesn't mean that I find them shitty. Then there's the audience. I don't have a feeling with Ancient Greek or Latin. It's a part of the acting that would be lost and therefore it's another reason why I don't want it.

Well Gladiator is a pile of crap so I don't really care.

Not seen it in a decade, but I absolutely loved it. It was as epically entertaining as LotR, before LotR. Just as good as.

Then there's the audience. I don't have a feeling with Ancient Greek or Latin. It's a part of the acting that would be lost and therefore it's another reason why I don't want it.

You only want movies made in a language you speak or what?

That's just intellectually unengaging and boring. The world's cultural heritage is there to be celebrated.

Damn, how do those filmmakers dare to make a movie in a language I don't speak! I just want everything homogeneus and spoonfed to me! Fuck fresh, diverse filmmaking!

That's just intellectually unengaging and boring. The world's cultural heritage is there to be celebrated.

Right, from the safety of your computer monitor and your dvd collection...

Then there's the audience. I don't have a feeling with Ancient Greek or Latin. It's a part of the acting that would be lost and therefore it's another reason why I don't want it.

You only want movies made in a language you speak or what?

Damn, how do those filmmakers dare to make a movie in a language I don't speak! I just want everything homogeneus and spoonfed to me! Fuck fresh, diverse filmmaking!

I prefer English over Ancient Greek and Latin because most Anglophone actors are much better when they can express themselves in their own native language. If the Anglophone actors speak Ancient Greek or Latin, then that benefit would be lost. If the French made a film about Ancient Rome, I would want them to speak French.

I don't understand what you mean by spoonfeeding. Are you saying I should learn Ancient Greek now?

If the French made a film about Ancient Rome, I would want them to speak French.

At least it's modern Latin.

I don't understand what you mean by spoonfeeding. Are you saying I should learn Ancient Greek now?

No, you just remind me of the people who want to see films dubbed because they don't want to read subtitles.

I do like Greek a lot, though. It sounds gorgeous. It'd add a lot of character to a film.

If the French made a film about Ancient Rome, I would want them to speak French.

At least it's modern Latin.

No, you just remind me of the people who want to see films dubbed because they don't want to read subtitles.

I do like Greek a lot, though. It sounds gorgeous. It'd add a lot of character to a film

I remind you of people who want dubbing?! That just shows how much you know, Chaac. I've been raised with subtitles and I absolutely detest dubbing, which I think you know very well. It's clear you don't understand what I'm saying about the advantage of actors acting in their mother tongue. It's not that complicated to understand though. Perhaps the problem is that you see it from a 'world heritage' perspective while I see it more as a 'dramatic handicap' or limitation if writers and actors can no longer write or act in their own language each time they want to do a piece that is situated in an ancient or foreign world. I guess you want the English writers who wrote their books and screenplays to write in Latin, ancient Greek or Egyptian as well?

Alex

I guess you want the English writers who wrote their books and screenplays to write in Latin, ancient Greek or Egyptian as well?

No. You don't understand what I'm saying either. A book is not a film.

It'd be an interesting fresh option for certain films. I thought it was nice in Apocalypto, even if I don't like that film. If the actor has trouble she or he woulnd't be the appropiate actor. In the end that point is pretty moot.

For the time being I'd be happy avoiding silly stuff like in The Hunt for Red October or the that draft of Pacific Rim. And yes, I'd much prefer The Last Emperor to be shot in the appropiate Chinese dialects with native speakers as actors. It bothers me in some films and in others it doesn't. It bothers me in The Last Emperor and El Cid, it doesn't bother me in Schindler's List and Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes. Depends.

Whats wrong with the Hunt for Red October?

I guess you want the English writers who wrote their books and screenplays to write in Latin, ancient Greek or Egyptian as well?

No. You don't understand what I'm saying either. A book is not a film.

It is the same on the literary level. For example, I Claudius is written by an Englishman with an English perspective in the English language. Reading it in that language means we are reading the words of the writer with all the elements and nuances of the literary artistry (choice of words, technique, composition, or, in short, the craft of the author) kept intact. The series of I, Claudius is nothing more than the equivalent of that. It is written by an Englishman, based on English books, and that perspective and vision is conveyed to the audience by English actors and filmmakers. Translating these words into Latin, simply because we're now dealing with TV and it's about an Roman dynasty, would seriously compromise the original and integral vision. If authors of books are granted to express themselves in their own native tongue and about any subject they choose, then so should authors and actors of film.

Alex

Yeah, right.

The problem is taking that so literally always to the point that any other possible alternative for a particular project never happens.

For example. They made a film here (which I haven't seen) inspired on Tirant lo Blanch. Tirant lo Blanch is a character from a novel written by a Valencian dude in the 15th century about a knight from Brittany who travels through Europe and ends up fighting in Constantinople. The original work was originally in Catalan, but the film was made in English. It would have been nice to have the film be in the original Catalan, just like you explained about I, Claudius, even though the characters would be speaking a variety of languages. But what happens? The movie is done to cater to the majority, so we get the movie in English unlike I, Claudius which gets shot in the language of the original work. So it can backfire as well. This is just an example. PS: the film seems to suck so I haven't seen it.

This isn't a matter of making the films in the language of the actors. This is a matter of movies being done in certain ways to cater to the economic power of very few languages. It's just not artistic, and if you think it's usually done for artistic purposes you're fooling yourself.

And yeah, actors can act in their native tongue. That's why I'm not asking Anglophone actors to act in Chinese in The Last Emperor. Moot point.

Quint I think you'd love Red October, it's got a great cast! It's on Netflix check it out....that is if you have Netflix.

I recently bought that from Wally World on Blu-Ray from the $7 bin.

Picked up Under Siege for 2.38 yesterday, not bad for a new bluray. Sure it's Steven Segal but it's a decent action film in the same vein as the far superior Die Hard. but it does have the advantage of being on a battleship. A lot of it is filmed on the USS Alabama which stands in for the real Missouri. You can actually visit both ships.

I prefer the sequel. The villians aren't as interesting in #2 but love the train action.

The Hunt For Red October is just a movie which I've always wanted to see but never managed to for some reason, that's all.

I want Red October on Blu, but I've only read really bad things about its Blu releases so far.