Upcoming Films

Quintus

I see very little to get excited about. It looks like District 9, The Sequel: This time the whole world is a slum. Another "let's steal the secret formula" film from Blomkamp.

Spiritual sequel. I wonder if after Chappie which is supposed to be more of a comedy Blomkamp will do a third one and make a sort of action slum science-fiction trilogy :lol:

I'm digging it. Easily the most interesting trailer for a 2013 film so far, and it avoids showing much. Plus Sharlto Copley, free fall action and a Standford Torus! And transhumans!

the place was so toxic that Matt DAMON's hair fell out. it wasn't buzzed like most assumed.

Anybody else looking forward to Tim Burton's next feature Big Eyes, starring Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams? I think it could be his best since Big Fish.

No, it's written by the guys who wrote Ed Wood. It has no connection to Big Fish, it's based on the real story of Walter and Margaret Keane.

No, it's written by the guys who wrote Ed Wood. It has no connection to Big Fish, it's based on the real story of Walter and Margaret Keane.

Aha! It's back on my list again!

you know what it's about then Alex, it's about the trial of Walter and Margaret Keane, Margaret who drew the big eyed art, and Walter who claimed too.

very exciting and facinating stuff there.

Coming from someone who was never a fan of the first film, I like what I'm seeing here. And with Philip Seymour Hoffman involved, I might just really enjoy this one.

Mr. Miyazaki is back!

Kaze_Tachinu_poster.jpg

Trailer.Or.Something.Please?

Easily this and Takahata's film and among my must sees of the year. Pity I might catch it in the theathers here in 2014, if anytime at all.

I think these would be, in no particular order:

Stoker – Park Chan-wook

El cosmonauta - Nicolás Alcalá

Gravity – Alfonso Cuarón

Snow Piercer – Bong Joon-ho

Elysium - Neil Blomkamp

The Europa Report – Sebastián Cordero

The World’s End – Edgar Wright

Pacific Rim - Guillermo del Toro

Only God Forgives – Nicolas Windig Refn

Kaze Tachinu – Hayao Miyazaki

Kaguyahime no monotagari – Isao Takahata

you know what it's about then Alex, it's about the trial of Walter and Margaret Keane, Margaret who drew the big eyed art, and Walter who claimed too.

very exciting and facinating stuff there.

Indeed and not too fantasy-like (like Alice In Wonderland, Dark Shadows, Frankenweenie, ...). That being said, Sweeney Todd is one of my best movie experiences (especially the second time I watched it) in the last 10 years.

Alex

Hayao Miyazaki is really making another new movie??? And it's coming out THIS year!! This is the best news I've heard in a while!!!

That sucks that Spike Lee is remaking OldBoy. The original is great, doesn't need to be remade!

Yeah, two Studio Ghibli films this year, one directed by Miyazaki himself! And amazingly enough both scored by Joe Hisaishi.

Awesome. You know what's odd, though I love and have seen all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, I have yet to watch a single Studio Ghibli production he didn't direct. Which ones are the most recommended?

Well, most importantly, don't expect them to be on Miyazaki's level!

I think I'd recommend Grave of the Fireflies and Whisper of the Heart. Good films!

I'm curious that A. Curron's Gravity has a fall release. It's been pushed back and pushed back and it makes me wonder for the quality of it.

I know! It was pushed back almost a year.... original release date was Nov 21, 2012, now it's Oct 4 2013. I hope it's good!

Gus Van Sant's Promised Land:

Can I hear a "meh"?

You're a little late on that one.

As for the Oldboy remake, I'm only interested because of Brolin, Elisabeth Olsen, and Sharlto Copley. I expect it to be terrible, but I thought Lee did a decent job with Inside Man so I'm keep my hopes up. It won't touch the original, but hopefully they'll at least do something interesting with the hallway fight.

How was their version of The Borrowers?

Definitely worth checking out... and it feels like a Miyazaki film for the most part. Beautiful attention to detail, leisurely paced, and a delight from start to finish. I can't recommend it enough.

I know! It was pushed back almost a year.... original release date was Nov 21, 2012, now it's Oct 4 2013. I hope it's good!

It was due to start shooting as early as summer 2010. Then it was pushed to January 2011. Then April or May. Somehow they made it and now finally they're going to release it. I've been waiting since the very first news about this!

It should be good. Clooney has said positive things about it. And the 17-minute opening shot is intriguing!

And yes, watch The Borrowers, it's great! :)

I still have reservations because of Sandra Bullock, but Cuaron and Clooney should probably make it worthwhile.

Inside Man is the only Spike Lee film I like, and I thought it was great, but then again it's more or less a remake of Dog Day Afternoon. His overt racism and hypocrisy is cringe inducing. I can't imagine him bringing anything worthwhile to what the original film accomplished.

why would you have reservation with Sandra Bullock, she's lots of fun.

I like Inside Man but it feels more ordinary Tony Scott than Spike Lee. Was he a hired gun? Where was Lee's voice? His flavor? His joint? I feel it's going to be the same for the remake of Oldboy. Hollywood is cleaning out all its auteurs. I guess we do what we need to do to survive.

Has anyone seen Stoker (Park Chan wook) yet?

stokerbrush_zpsf934ad4e.jpg

Alex

I saw them filming those scenes from the end of the trailer in Boston. That was like 2 years ago!

We need more science fiction on earth movies. Men Black is a dying breed. I remember when every summer you couldn't move for the likes of Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Cocoon, Batteries not Included and Flight of the Navigator. Inventive fun for all the family.

The film looks like Men In Black, but with some crazy ideas.

MiB didnt have crazy ideas?

It does look like Men in Black with dead people, but it also looks like it could be a fun romp. Bridges seems to be enjoying himself.

Is that set on earth? I've not been following it.

And no, Star Trek isn't what I mean. It's almost always set in space, it's a niché audience and it's not light entertainment.

It's interesting though that one of the best ones is set on earth.

Has anyone seen Stoker (Park Chan wook) yet?

stokerbrush_zpsf934ad4e.jpg

Alex

I've seen it. It's quite a wonderfully paced, shot, and framed film, with simmering horror of an atmosphere. I wouldn't call it watered down Park Chan Wook any more than I would call Jackie Brown watered down Tarantino, because it's not. It is restrained to great effect. That said I don't think it's good enough to be called great- the character motivations are muddy as the film progresses and in the end we are left with no characters whatsoever to root for. But it's far less far-fetched than Oldboy's ending.

The film looks like Men In Black, but with some crazy ideas.

MiB didnt have crazy ideas?

They didn't look so crazy, imo.

I would have to see MiB again. I barely remember it.