Upcoming Films

Quintus

Visually this looks quite something, like anime movies brought to live action format (with CGI of course).

Yeah, the film looks like a live action version of Evangelion.

One of the characters...looks and talks like J.J. Abrahams! :lol:

I noticed too! Can't be a coincidence, right?

I hear our Lost creator is interested in another Cloverfield, that is, if Pacific Rim proves to be successful, which it will be, since it's all about big robots destroying things.

I hear our Lost creator is interested in another Cloverfield, that is, if Pacific Rim proves to be successful, which it will be, since it's all about big robots destroying things.

Yup, I posted the article where he mentioned it here.

we need another Die Hard movie.

After the abomination that was this last one apparently 6 is in the works. Jeez Louise.

saw the trailer for Aftershock, and horror disaster film, looks like a fun bad film.

Its worth it just for Brolin's Tommy Lee Jones impersonation. The film itself is miles ahead of the crap that was MIB2, though the first is all around better still.

I can't believe this movie is finally getting made! I have yet to read the book, but Garfield seems like an odd choice.... Then again, Marty's casting have always been a little puzzling when he's thinking outside the box, like he originally wanted Christopher Walken for Jesus on The Last Temptation. Sure, it would have been awesome, but the film is already unintentionally hilarious, so imagine it with Walken....

I think The Last Temptation Of Christ is far from being hilarious. Rewatching it (after such a long time) proved to be one my best film experiences of 2012.

Saw 3 trailers last night in front of Iron Man 3

The Wolverine

This just looked confusing and dumb.

The Lone Ranger

Also confusing and dumb. The earlier trailers were better, showed more of Depp and the comedy aspects. This new trailer was all just crazy action and weak plot set up. I don't think this film will be good.

Thor: The Dark World

Looks like alot of the same stuff as the first movie. Here's what I don't get: Loki was a very weak villain in the first Thor movie. Why did they bring him back for Avengers AND Thor 2?

I like Mel Brook's The Next to the Last Temptation of Christ, Merchandising.

I see Gravity has a trailer posted, I will have to look at that at home.

The Gravity trailer isn't out yet, only a 16 second teaser for the Thursday premiere of it

This Gravity film might be the best sci-fi this year. As far as I know, it's the only serious science fiction movie this year too.

Me too

This Gravity film might be the best sci-fi this year. As far as I know, it's the only serious science fiction movie this year too.

We need more serious sci fi films!

Now I want to go watch Gattaca

This trailer for trailer trend really annoys me.

+1

What's next? A 1-second teaser of the 15-second teaser of the 2-minute trailer?

didn't star trek do that

the delay in it's release may indicate some serious problems with the film. It's been in the can for what almost a year.

yes

I know! It was pushed back almost a year.... original release date was Nov 21, 2012, now it's Oct 4 2013. I hope it's good!

yes

I know! It was pushed back almost a year.... original release date was Nov 21, 2012, now it's Oct 4 2013. I hope it's good!

well Titanic survived, surprisingly GI Joe 2 turned out okay. Is it MGM?

Elysium is slightly hard sci-fi in some concepts and more space-operaish in others. I'm not sure how Europa Report will go, I'm afraid it will be found footage with scary aliens and it'll ruin the chance for something cool, which is what's most likely to happen.

I don't think Gravity is actually set in the future. With that in mind, It actually raises a question on what science-fiction is these days. If you do something set in this time, with our technology and our problems, does it make it science-fiction just because it's set in the orbit of Earth?

What constitutes serious sci-fi is a bit hard to define sometimes. Is it defined by accuracy/realism? By the treatment of themes or questions? By the reach of the speculation? I don't think Alien is serious sci-fi at all. 2001 could be. Blade Runner works as one, even though the setting is somewhat of a fantasy world where we travel the galaxy but are still pretty much like we're know and we make cars fly simply because it looks cool on screen and many other details.

Science-fiction or not, I think Gravity might come to be an excellent action film that might get some criticism for its simplistic plot. We'll see.

I'm not talking about hard sci-fi but serious sci-fi movies. Movies that are adult in tone and that deal with serious themes and not so much with fun and swashbuckling spectacle.

Alex

That's what I meant too. We need more of those.

Most "sci-fi" films are really action films in disguise

I'm not talking about hard sci-fi but serious sci-fi movies. Movies that are adult in tone and that deal with serious themes and not so much with fun and swashbuckling spectacle.

Ah well, there can be any combination. We just get a very few of the possible combinations.

There isn't necesarily a contradiction between spectacle and serious themes, or between action and science-fiction. What I think happens is that for the longest time it has been difficult to get out of certain molds in film (difficulty with special effects and money), and the world of cinema finds it easier to settle with less ambitious proposals. I think it'll get better with time, as more filmmakers get easier access to making films with less resources and with more freedom.

And this not only happens to science-fiction, actually. Historical and epic films have suffered the exact same thing.

Apparently the film opens with a 17 minute shot and the rest of the film follows this pattern with very long shots.

The poster is very cool. I think it's one of my favourite posters of this year so far. It looks like the cover of a novel or something.

Hmm, I don't like movie posters that are that explicit and copy a particular key scene of a movie. I prefer more graphically stylized posters that keep things vague, ambiguous and that have nothing to do with the plot. I must say, based on that poster, I'm starting to get a bad feeling about the film. Perhaps the full trailer can change the tide again. We'll soon know.

Alex

wow, I've never judged a film on it's poster. I've judged the poster itself but never use it as a reflection of the quality of the movie.

Posters are made by marketing departments, not the creative team of the film

It fails at its job too - to evoke the awful gut sensation of what it must be like to lose grip like that and float away helplessly into the dark of space - because the composition is too blatant. It's a big profile shot of a guy falling away, like the poster for Vertical Limit. It's meant to be a frightening image, but it just isn't.

I'd have opted instead for a close up visor shot in which we can discern the distant lines of the structure bathed in stars, which the person was previously attached to before slipping away.

I hear Gravity ends with a freeze frame of Harry Potter riding to their rescue on his new Firebolt broomstick.

November+2010+011.JPG

I'd have opted instead for a close up visor shot in which we can discern the distant lines of the structure bathed in stars, which the person was previously attached to before slipping away.

Oh yes, I fully agree!

I hear Gravity ends with a freeze frame of Harry Potter riding to their rescue on his new Firebolt broomstick.

Chris Reeve just gave you a wave and a smile .

I love the poster, the light refllected on Earth and the sensation of high speed movement in free fall.

I don't get any sense of high speed, afterall they are in virtual zero gravity, the speed would be frightfully and frustatingly slow with that added inability to stop.

I don't think it's meant to be frightening. I mean it doesn't frighten me, but that doesn't make me like it less. It's a poster for an action film,rather than a scary film.

A subjective shot of the structure from the point of view of the person would be... good, depending on how you do it. The inverse of what you see in that poster would be cool, but the scapeship would hamper the view of the Earth.

In any case, there are actually two people in the scene

I love the poster, the light refllected on Earth and the sensation of high speed movement in free fall.

I don't get any sense of high speed, afterall they are in virtual zero gravity, the speed would be frightfully and frustatingly slow with that added inability to stop.

They are in orbit, of course they are moving very fast, fast enough not to fall to Earth.

In the sneak peek of the trailer, the character is swung fast by a broken mechanical arm.