Upcoming Films

Quintus

That may be part of Pacific Rims problem in drawing an audience. There's no familair / known monsters or characters.

Nobody knew Luke Skywalker before May 1977 or Jack Sparrow before spring 2003. I'm not saying Pacific Rim will go on to become as classic or successful as those, but it's early. As someone who dreamed of giant robots before Power Rangers made them uncool, this movie is right up my alley.

Actually that was one of the criticisms I read about the film prior to its release and they also mentioned a similar problem with the Lone Ranger too. Audiences today need some familiarity which is why the studios keep churning out franchises that are known.

box office mojo actually forcasts Pacific Rim to win this weekend, though they think it will be a tight race between it, Despicable Me 2, and Grown Ups 2.

Not if the tracking numbers for Pacific Rim turn out to be true.

Del Toro on Godzilla

I would have preferred he direct Godzilla.

What's the difference?

Just a preference.

Everyone got excited when he was originally scheduled to direct The Hobbit.

It's not a true western!

why would you say something so preposterous?

Westerns are one genre that should always be seen on the big screen.

Not after sitting through Wild Wild Wild West.

It's not a true western!

why would you say something so preposterous?

It's a special effects comedy blockbuster that happens to have been set in the West.

Like POTC is not a true pirate film.

it's got Cowboys, it's got Indians, it's got old railroads, it's set in the old west. It's a western, so what that it's made with modern conventions.

And POTC was a pirate film sure and true.

not to senile to know this American can spot a western when he see's one moreso than the flying Dutchman can recognize a pirate film. .

Ohhh, I really want to see that. Tom Hanks, Josh from the West Wing, BJ Novak (as a Sherman brother!) and Paul Giamatti (looks like he has a surprisingly small part?), plus the subject matter. admittedly since Disney is producing it may be a bit one-sided, but still looks like it'll be very entertaining.

The reviews from the test-screening is very positive. And apparently the Sherman Brothers play a fairly big part in it. Isn't Thomas Newman scoring?

Oh, and the first set photo from Tim Burton's Big Eyes starring Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Terence Stamp, Danny Huston, Krysten Ritter and Jason Schwartzman.

Oh, and the first set photo from Tim Burton's Big Eyes starring Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Terence Stamp, Danny Huston, Krysten Ritter and Jason Schwartzman.

big-eyes-set-photo-amy-adams.jpeg

No Johnny Depp?

Johnny Depp is in final negotiations to return for the Alice in Wonderland sequel. Tim Burton isn't returning to direct, but James Bobin (The Muppets) will step in. Linda Woolverton has written the screenplay for this as well.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/johnny-depp-finalizing-alice-in-wonderland-2/

No word on whether actors like Mia Wasikowska or Anne Hathaway will return.

Johnny Depp is in final negotiations to return for the Alice in Wonderland sequel. Tim Burton isn't returning to direct, but James Bobin (The Muppets) will step in. Linda Woolverton has written the screenplay for this as well.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/johnny-depp-finalizing-alice-in-wonderland-2/

No word on whether actors like Mia Wasikowska or Anne Hathaway will return.

Why? Why? Why?

Spin-offs, prequels, sequels, remakes!

Whyyyy???

Well, i've read somewhere that studios don't invest anymore in new ideas, and invest only in something that know it will bring money, since it's not the best period for cinema too..

We need a new Hollywood New Wave, like the 70's.

You mean 'New Hollywood' or 'American New Wave'? Yeah ... but nobody goes to an Andrew Dominik film. The New Hollywood appealed to the young generation of the late '60s/early '70s. The times were different then. Today the young generation wants big blockbusters, because that's how they were brought up. To them, watching films older than 10 years is a difficult, if not an impossible chore. The 'new wave' of today is happening on TV and for an audience that doesn't go the blockbusters. To them, TV offers what you can't find in the theaters.

Alex

They go to films like BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL and the like. There is an audience for cinema beyond comic books (i.e. me) and they will make more 'small' movies in the future - just as Spielberg said. I don't even need a new 70's wave (i'm not too keen on movies like TAXI DRIVER), just cinema as it was in 80's and even 90's.

The '80s and the '90s were blockbuster oriented decades. The type people want today but with even more spectacle. Spectacle that is possible to thanks to CGI. George Lucas, once part of the New Hollywood movement, ended the wave with Star Wars.

Since then people are watching the same movie over and over again, only bigger, faster and more spectacular, and more expensive. Where is it going to end? Perhaps it's going to implode like Spielberg prophesizes?

Of course, Spielberg has lost his interest in spectacle and perhaps it's why he believes that the rest of humanity will follow.

Alex