Upcoming Films

Quintus

I have no idea what that means. The Master has been on my to watch list forever, just haven't found the time. Most of the time these days my movie watching is relegated to movies that both me and my girlfriend want to watch, I rarely have time alone that I'd choose to spend watching a movie over doing something else. The last time I had that time, I watched Danny Boyle's Trance.

I think PTA is a great filmmaker, and Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are two of my favorite movies of all time.

Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer have closed a deal with the John Steinbeck estate for a new version of his seminal novel East Of Eden that will be developed as a re-team for The Hunger Games director Gary Ross and Jennifer Lawrence. I’m told that the book is Ross’ favorite American novel and that the director plans to tell the generational story in two films. The novel previously was adapted into one picture, the 1955 Eliza Kazan-directed film that starred James Dean and Richard Davalos as sons who compete for the attention of their farmer father in Salinas, CA. Ross wants Lawrence to play Cathy Ames, the cold and cruel mother of the boys and estranged wife of the farmer. The films will tell their stories, leading into the rivalry between their sons. The studio and Imagine first acquired the 1952 novel back in 2004.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence-gary-ross-reteam-steinbecks-east-of-eden/

I wonder if JNH will score

Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer have closed a deal with the John Steinbeck estate for a new version of his seminal novel East Of Eden that will be developed as a re-team for The Hunger Games director Gary Ross and Jennifer Lawrence. I’m told that the book is Ross’ favorite American novel and that the director plans to tell the generational story in two films. The novel previously was adapted into one picture, the 1955 Eliza Kazan-directed film that starred James Dean and Richard Davalos as sons who compete for the attention of their farmer father in Salinas, CA. Ross wants Lawrence to play Cathy Ames, the cold and cruel mother of the boys and estranged wife of the farmer. The films will tell their stories, leading into the rivalry between their sons. The studio and Imagine first acquired the 1952 novel back in 2004.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence-gary-ross-reteam-steinbecks-east-of-eden/

I wonder if JNH will score

Aha! Gary Ross! He's probably the main reason why I dug the first Hunger Games movie.

Stupid poster, looks like something from a 1950's comic book.

Those suits are too modern-looking for that. The suits don't gel with the antique look of the art work. The first teaser poster didn't have that problem because it showed Lawrence in cloths that matched the old, nostalgic look.

I don't mind the poster. I'm more inclined to agree with Koray for a change. It's not something I'd have stuck on my teenage bedroom wall, but it's still pretty eye catching imo.

Also, note the little trick of standing the shorter male on the slightly higher terrain.

Apparently Lawrence is a very hot 5 ft 9 - that's only slightly shorter than me (5 ft 10). Damn she's ultra perfect.

Edit: more websites seem to reckon she's actually 5 ft 7, which is still tall for a woman. Put her in heels and grrrr

Hahah.

I remember when I read, in translation, Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. It's full of descriptions in feet and inches, so the translator had the mercy of putting the value in cm and m between brackets on the sides. I felt that it was hard for me to imagine distances in feet because they're usually too small. Inches are easier.

It makes perfect sense. It's a fast and loose system handy for market traders and the construction industry who need to communicate quickly and accurately to their customers the weights/distances involved.

In England, if someone stops you and asks for directions, the first part of the instructions will always be a good old pointing of the finger followed by, "just carry on down here 200 yards and then turn left."

That person will find their destination. Unless they're foreign tourists in which case their hasty conversions will ensure they'll be guided into a shady muggers alley.

It makes perfect sense. It's a fast and loose system handy for market traders and the construction industry who need to communicate quickly and accurately to their customers the weights/distances involved.

And metric isnt?

I'm sure its harder for you because you didnt grow up with it.

Farenheit makes no sense to me. Just a random figure with no seeming connection to real world conditions.

And metric isnt?

I'm sure its harder for you because you didnt grow up with it.

Of course that's the reason. What else could it be? Not that I'm about to adapt to the metric system anyway. Why would I, in England? It'd be like speaking German in Liverpool.

Unless they're foreign tourists in which case their hasty conversions will ensure they'll be guided into a shady muggers alley.

It's all part of the plan!

Farenheit makes no sense to me. Just a random figure with no seeming connection to real world conditions.

I hate Fahrenheit with a passion. I love Kelvin as the default, converted into Celsius for everyday use. These two are nice, never had a problem. Fahrenheit is like whaaat?

THGCFPoster04_555px_zps27d59d78.jpg

Aah, much better! Not only is it far more original, the clouds also give a nice suggestion that Jennifer Lawrence has wings. Yes, this poster is indeed a lot more feminine but I think it's actually quite suitable for the character. The new poster just wants to be cool and kick-ass but fails at the attempt, IMO.

Alex

Of course that's the reason. What else could it be? Not that I'm about to adapt to the metric system anyway. Why would I, in England? It'd be like speaking German in Liverpool.

But Celsius is used in the UK i think. I've heard it in weather reports. usually for minus temperatures.

THGCFPoster04_555px_zps27d59d78.jpg

Aah, much better! Not only is it far more original, the clouds also give a nice suggestion that Jennifer Lawrence has wings. Yes, this poster is indeed a lot more feminine but I think it's actually quite suitable for the character. The new poster just wants to be cool and kick-ass but fails at the attempt, IMO.

Alex

Much better. I even like the unusual colours.

I also like that poster.