John Williams and the Academy Awards

Trumpeteer

Indeed. And Padme's complaint is spot on... it's not about nominating him because it's Williams, it should be whether, in the context of a year of scores, what he's written stands up as the best, the most inspiring and most inventive, IMO.

:(

Like that EVER happens. Dream on you guys!

I never said that actually happens... almost never anyway :)

We're talking ideal, Brokeback-free worlds here.

Well, I think we should be more realistic.

My point is, just because the ideal never happens, I root for JW every chance I get.

If JW had always (or at this point I'd even settle with almost always) won an Oscar for his really deserving scores, then I would think differently. But since he didn't, I hope JW wins this time.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people here probably think KotCS is worse than Hans Zimmer's worst score...

No, Williams could never compose anything as bad as Zimmer has. KOTCS is a freakin masterpiece compared to Hansy's works.

Some people here probably think KotCS is worse than Hans Zimmer's worst score...

No, Williams could never compose anything as bad as Zimmer has. KOTCS is a freakin masterpiece compared to Hansy's works.

From a technical sense yes. But from a fulfilling sense that's purely from person to person.

Hans has, on many occasions.

Hans has, on many occasions.

You're correct, he has composed a lot of bad music.

Shut up. I obviously read something wrong or quoted the wrong post. Don't judge me!

But yeah, to actually say that is just being ignorant. If you honestly believe Zimmer could never compose something better than Daddy-O, you need to... I'll just stop right there.

Fortunatelly, music is something more than just the instrumentation...

I absolutely concur

I think instrumentation (orchestration) is the most important part of composition. Take any bland tune, when well orchestrated it can be great music.

The biggest scandal is Alan Menken, who won like 8 Oscars in just 5 years!

I know that's wrong, but close enough for rock 'n' roll! :(

Actually, Menken deserves 8 Oscars. It's just that JW deserves, like, 30.

Menken didn't deserve to win for Beauty & the Beast, because Hook wasn't even nominated that year.

I absolutely concur

I think instrumentation (orchestration) is the most important part of composition. Take any bland tune, when well orchestrated it can be great music.

Of course it is.. you don't understand me right. but on the other hand it isn't.

But my remark was a more stylistic remark, than a qualitywise remark. In the world of John Williams symphonic instrumentation is everything, but in the world of Phil Collins it isn't: yet Phil writes amazing music that is very touching.. true, the right instrumentation is important, but every style needs its own instrumentation.

Also a bland tune blown up for full orchestra might sound a little nicer (, but in the end it is just a bland tune.. a great tune can live without good orchestration.. this may sound a little weird, but to me it is exactly like that.

a great tune can live without good orchestration.. this may sound a little weird, but to me it is exactly like that.

Yes it might live without good instrumentation, that is without any orchestration at all, but a bad orchestration can be totally detrimental.

I absolutely concur

Indeed, but on the other hand there is so much of great music which doesn\'t conform to the standard of orchestration set by composers like Williams (and other great ones before him) and therefore is bashed by some. You can have great music played on even on synthesizer.

Of course it is.. you don\'t understand me right. but on the other hand it isn\'t.

But my remark was a more stylistic remark, than a qualitywise remark. In the world of John Williams symphonic instrumentation is everything, but in the world of Phil Collins it isn\'t: yet Phil writes amazing music that is very touching.. true, the right instrumentation is important, but every style needs its own instrumentation.

Also a bland tune blown up for full orchestra might sound a little nicer (, but in the end it is just a bland tune.. a great tune can live without good orchestration.. this may sound a little weird, but to me it is exactly like that.

Well said, although 'bland tune' is still very subjective term and in proper orchestration that blandness often ceases to be the problem.

Take any bland tune, when well orchestrated it can be great music.

I am amazed to get such a reaction from a composer. The only thing that would justify it would be you use a different definition of orchestration.

Menken didn't deserve to win for Beauty & the Beast, because Hook wasn't even nominated that year.

I said he deserved 8 Oscars. I never said it was for the 8 Oscars he actually won.

I said he deserved 8 Oscars. I never said it was for the 8 Oscars he actually won.

Well if Hook wasn't in the race, then Menken deserved it for B&B.

I am amazed to get such a reaction from a composer. The only thing that would justify it would be you use a different definition of orchestration.

What he is probably thinking is that bad music can be bad music, good orchestration notwithstanding, and the opposite can be said, as well. I think if you were to ask anybody here who has played video games, they would say that KOJI KONDO wrote spectacular music, although he had absolutely terrible conditions to work in, regarding orchestration. If that is what Henry Buck is thinking, I agree with him. Take Tyler Bate's music and give it to Conrad Pope. See if you like his music any better.

Well if Hook wasn't in the race, then Menken deserved it for B&B.

The film that Menken really got screwed on was The Hunchback of Notre Dame. He deserved an Oscar for the score, plus another for either "Bells of Notre Dame," "Hellfire," or "Out There."

Maybe you use a different definition of "tune." I don't believe that music with a weak melodic, harmonic and rhythmic basis can be fixed with a candy coating of orchestration. Incidentally, you seem to be a fan of Alan Menken's work, which is absolutely about tune. Does this mean you're more interested in the orchestrations of Danny Troob? Maybe the Oscar for best original score should be replaced by the Oscar for best original orchestration.

:blink:

Maybe you use a different definition of "tune." I don't believe that music with a weak melodic, harmonic and rhythmic basis can be fixed with a candy coating of orchestration. Incidentally, you seem to be a fan of Alan Menken's work, which is absolutely about tune. Does this mean you're more interested in the orchestrations of Danny Troob? Maybe the Oscar for best original score should be replaced by the Oscar for best original orchestration.

Ok I admit if a piece of music is badly written, it doesn't help. And sure, I am a great advocate of solid thematics. But the point is that I see orchestration as much more than a "candy coating". A theme can be orchestrated in such totally different ways that the entire soul of the composition can be altered. For that fact alone I think the orchestration is what makes the piece. I am quite keen on this because I really think orchestration is generally underestimated. We can have a more extensve discussion about this some other time.

Regarding the orchestration Oscar, it wouldn't be fair for the composers who orchestrate their own work :) But in a lot of cases, it would certainly be appropriate.

:)

What he is probably thinking is that bad music can be bad music, good orchestration notwithstanding, and the opposite can be said, as well. I think if you were to ask anybody here who has played video games, they would say that KOJI KONDO wrote spectacular music, although he had absolutely terrible conditions to work in, regarding orchestration. If that is what Henry Buck is thinking, I agree with him. Take Tyler Bate's music and give it to Conrad Pope. See if you like his music any better.

Definitely. I'd prefer a compostion without any real themes but wich is richly and thoroughly orchestrated over a wonderful but blandly orchestrated theme any time.

To name some concrete but probably bad examples: I prefer Stravinsky or Ravel over Grieg or Schumann, or (regarding film composers) Michael Convertino over Hans Zimmer (although he has some specific compostitions that are orchestrated quite well).

Of course I'd rather have music that has both.

Here's the KOTCS "For Your Consideration" Ad with John Williams listed on it.

Stunt coordinator Gary Powell is listed with the VFX crew. Interesting.

I'll eat my hat if Ben Burtt wins an Oscar!! :blink:

How many does he have already, btw? Anybody know?

Ben Burtt has the following Academy Awards.

Special Achievement Award for Sound Effects - Star Wars

Special Achievement Award for Sound Effects Editing - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Oscar for Best Sound Effects Editing - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Oscar for Best Sound Effects Editing - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

So that's four statues, two of them Special Achievement Awards (I think it had something to do with Sound/Sound Effects not being a yearly returning category at that point).

OK, I'm real excited my topic is getting so much attention.

Is anyone out there willing to make any choices for this year's nominees for Original Score?

Is anyone out there willing to make any choices for this year's nominees for Original Score?

Most likely candidates:

Alexandre Desplat - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Thomas Newman - WALL*E

Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

A.R. Rahman - Slumdog Millionaire

James Newton Howard - Defiance

Most likely candidates:

Thomas Newman - WALL*E

Actually, you maybe correct.

Chris, who expects Allah Rakkha Rahman's Bollywood extravaganza to win this year. ;)

OK, I'm real excited my topic is getting so much attention.

Here is one list.

Hahaha, JW stands out, huh?

45 nom./5 wins

I think Button is a certain nominee and a very likely winner. I haven't listened to it entirely yet, but what I've heard is a pleasant background listen.

That Indy 4 advert...meh. Looks like a 5 year old waving a crappy drawing around. At least it doesn't mention any acting noms. That'd just be plain embarrassing.

I think Button is a certain nominee and a very likely winner. I haven't listened to it entirely yet, but what I've heard is a pleasant background listen.

That Indy 4 advert...meh. Looks like a 5 year old waving a crappy drawing around. At least it doesn't mention any acting noms. That'd just be plain embarrassing.

did you saw TDK ones?

Thats gloating. ;)

Most likely candidates:

Thomas Newman - WALL*E

Chris, who expects Allah Rakkha Rahman's Bollywood extravaganza to win this year. ;)

It's not so bad. I really like his tamil songs, they are quite musical and mostly nicely instrumentated.

Most likely candidates:

Thomas Newman - WALL*E

Though I haven't heard all these scores, I think Desplat's score might be most acoording to the Academy's taste.

Most likely candidates:

Thomas Newman - WALL*E

It's not so bad. I really like his tamil songs, they are quite musical and mostly nicely instrumentated.

I tried to listen to the soundtrack, but I gave up. I acknowledge he wrote decent records and that they work good in the picture, but it's the kind of music I find ubearable in general.

Most likely candidates:

Thomas Newman - WALL*E

I tried to listen to the soundtrack, but I gave up. I acknowledge he wrote decent records and that they work good in the picture, but it's the kind of music I find ubearable in general.

I haven't heard this album so I don't know how it is compared to his other stuff, maybe it's not as good as his song albums.

JW will get a nomination.

I'm willing to bet my doughnut. ;)

Have you seen any other movie or heard any other score this year?

I have seen every movie that's likely to be nominated for BEST SCORE.

KotCS WILL get nominated.

I'm not just saying that because it's JW. If JW's contribution for 2008 had been Stepmom, I wouldn't say that.

Ben Burtt has the following Academy Awards.

Special Achievement Award for Sound Effects - Star Wars

Special Achievement Award for Sound Effects Editing - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Oscar for Best Sound Effects Editing - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Oscar for Best Sound Effects Editing - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

So that's four statues, two of them Special Achievement Awards (I think it had something to do with Sound/Sound Effects not being a yearly returning category at that point).

Only 4? Wow, I would have thought he had many more.

But this year is his chance of catching up to his archnemsis JW! :lol:

Here's what I would like (though I know it probably won't happen):

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Winner)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Dark Knight

The Happening

Wanted

Aren't those the only scores you've bought this year?

Maybe you can post the list of scores you bought this year?

I don't think one has to buy all the scores to get to the music, right?