"Battle Over Coruscant" is SOOO cool

Josh500

Do you like the version with or without the war drums?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Battle Over Coruscant

• With drums
    • Without drums

It's one of the best JW action cues, ever. It may not be as structured as the other action cues from the original Star wars, but maybe JW wanted the music to be as unpredictable as the battle scenes...

Yes, that's the sign of a true master at his craft...making unfocused scenes even more irritating with his cunning musical chaos.

Williams certainly couldn't help it, presumably he never even saw the completed scene, but all the loose ends in this piece always bothered me as unworthy of Williams.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The battle of coruscant was finished months before the movie release. That and the fact it is scored wall to wall means Williams saw the final cut.

You can bet that whatever Williams saw back then wasn't what you can see today in the finished print.

George Lucas is a crappy editor if he can't decide what the hell he wants until the eleventh hour.

Problem is, he can decide and decide again until 4 days before the premiere with all the fancy new digital editing. It shows in the scores, because all of those big setpieces sound so vague (or are hacked up, anyway). When i recently saw the third film i realized that only the big elegiac-stuff-over-scenes-of-desolation (courtesy of 'Platoon') are composed through. All the physical action seems somewhat arbitrarily thrown together, seldom acknowleding the bigger picture, the intercut lava planet/Yoda battle always seemed to stop/start again and it's really a no-brainer to ask if Williams really likes his music sounding like a welded joint.

The battle of coruscant was finished months before the movie release. That and the fact it is scored wall to wall means Williams saw the final cut.

You can bet that whatever Williams saw back then wasn't what you can see today in the finished print.

In this particular scenes i think you are wrong, anyway.