"Battle Over Coruscant" is SOOO cool

Josh500

Do you like the version with or without the war drums?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Battle Over Coruscant

• With drums
    • Without drums

I don't know anymore who sent it to me, but the complete vesion of the battle music is just so cool... the OS version is good too, but the film version (complete with the Rebel Theme) just beats everything in the RotS score, I think. So much good action music... WOW!!

Is this taiko drums at the beginning? I wonder why this is missing on the OS version.

Is this timpani or taiko?

Do you like the version with or without taiko? (poll)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can very faintly hear the drums in the OST mix

I guess he is referring to the 6 drum hits right at the beginning where the camera goes from the stars to the Acclimator class battle ship. These were tracked in afterward.

The drums are a seperately recorded overdub I believe. They ended up liking the drums so much on their own, they got used seperately and in a few other places as well (the Yoda/Sidious fight, I believe).

They work quite well at the beginning of the film, despite being somewhat unorthodox for a Star Wars film.

While it's one of the better cues on the album, it's all over the place with no cohesive structure.

In other words it ain't no "Battle Of Yavin". I can live with or without the drums. They actually sound a bit obtrusive.

Is this taiko drums at the beginning? I wonder why this is missing on the OS version.

Is this timpani or taiko?

Yes, its taiko drums. Yet again, another score with taiko drums, because you can't have battle music without taiko drums.

I'm so sick of taiko drums.

Thank you, Zimmerites...

Well if I'm watching the movie, the isolated drums are a definite improvement over how the track "starts" on the OST. If I'm just listening to the music though, I'll take it without drums.

I prefer the original opening of "Boys Into Battle" but I definitely like the drums over dubbed with the cue. You can barely make them out on the OST but it's just something I prefer with. I also prefer "Moving Things Along" (aka Enter Lord Vader) with the drums over dubbed. All though "Heroes Collide" I'm not too fond of the over dubs with that cue.

I kinda like it with the drums, perhaps not mixed quite as loudly as in the film. And I definitely prefer the film beginning. The transition into the first battle cue from the main title is, IMO, extremely awkward. I went "HUH?!" when I first heard it on the album, after seeing the film, which had merely made me go, "Hmmm...that's different."

And yes, I like the complete version of that entire battle sequence. Not my very favorite instance of Williams action music, but still much better than what most composers would come up with.

I think the album just sounds different because of what you've come to expect of SW openings, not because it's bad or awkward.

I think it's because the end of the main title wasn't written to flow into that cue, nor was it performed that way - it's just the same recording from TPM. If it had been re-recorded with more of a deliberate crescendo and perhaps slightly changed orchestration, it might have worked. But still, the musical idea itself isn't all that appealing to me.

It's retarded.

The drums alone at the beginning are the best part.

And by golly when drums alone beat Johnny's symphonic writings....that tells you how much a travesty Battle Over Coruscant and RotS are.

It's retarded.

And by golly when drums alone beat Johnny's symphonic writings....that tells you how much a travesty Battle Over Coruscant and RotS are.

:fouetaa: That cue is fantastic. Especially the part right after the main theme on the OST, with the trumpet licks and then the awesome rendition of the Force Theme.

I voted no drums--well, the more subtle mix, rather.

One place that, bafflingly, they actual LEFT percussion out of where it would've been good was the snare in "I Am the Senate" (the part where Anakin is leaving his fighter).

I voted no drums--well, the more subtle mix, rather.

One place that, bafflingly, they actual LEFT percussion out of where it would've been good was the snare in "I Am the Senate" (the part where Anakin is leaving his fighter).

I'm still thinking those snares might be synths something Harlin did...because in the film they are not present.

I don't know if they were synthesized, but I'd wager they were written by Williams. "The Elevator Scene" also includes a snare part ostensibly written by Williams, and some of it that was unused on the album, indicating it was recorded separately, too.

By the way...I know I said I didn't like the drums in "Heroes Collide", I actually do up to a point. Up to just about when it shows Anakin choking Obi-Wan. From then on in the film that was just an over kill, especially for that particular section.

I prefer the drum overdubs, but with the OST opening. It was cool the 1st time at the cinema, but now for me, the drums alone sound strange. Then the OST opening would sound strange too... but i dont know if i prefer a new finale for the SW theme or it fading out with drums...

BTW that ending is a great action version of the true music it substitutes.

You can very faintly hear the drums in the OST mix

I guess he is referring to the 6 drum hits right at the beginning where the camera goes from the stars to the Acclimator class battle ship. These were tracked in afterward.

Venator-Class Star Destroyer... :lurk:

[..]to the Accl"A"mator class battle ship[...]

Venator-Class Star Destroyer... :lurk:

Oh, you are right, i've learned something. But both look real stunning imo :)

Venator-Class Star Destroyer... ;)

Oh, you are right, i've learned something. But both look real stunning imo :D

I prefer the boring old Imperial Star Destroyers from Ep's 4,5,6.

Venator-Class Star Destroyer... ;)

Oh, you are right, i've learned something. But both look real stunning imo :D

I prefer the boring old Imperial Star Destroyers from Ep's 4,5,6.

wouldn't that be the boring New Imperial Star Destroyers?

It's retarded.

that's just a stupid comment that has no credibility

that's just a stupid comment that has no credibility

That's just a stupid comment that has no credibility.

:lol: I considered saying that, but then I remembered that I wasn't fond of the tone of your original statement, anyway.

While it's one of the better cues on the album, it's all over the place with no cohesive structure.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

It's one of the best JW action cues, ever. It may not be as structured as the other action cues from the original Star wars, but maybe JW wanted the music to be as unpredictable as the battle scenes...

I find this whole piece technically and musically superb, a masterpiece. It depicts the ferocity of the war in almost unprecedented fashion... musically, that is.

Especially from 2:07-2:51 in the expanded version: WOW!!! I don't understand why they didn't include it on the OS.