What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I read the other day that this year there are 455 scripted TV series in the US alone.  And I'm having difficulty to finding a new one to binge on a rainy day.

Anyone try The Expanse?

Haven't seen that one.  I recommend:

Better Call Saul

Stranger Things 

Mr Robot

The OA

Westworld

Agent Carter

Another Period

Angie Tribeca

Game of Thrones

I don't recommend:

Santa Clarita Diet

Homeland

The Marvel/Netflix shows

I watched the first three of The Expanse, and I could see the potential and I fully intend to return to it. I don't normally do space shows, but this one I found interesting. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Haven't seen that one.  I recommend:

Better Call Saul

Stranger Things 

Mr Robot

The OA

Westworld

Agent Carter

Another Period

Angie Tribeca

Game of Thrones

I don't recommend:

Santa Clarita Diet

Homeland

The Marvel/Netflix shows

What is this Game of Thrones thing everyone is talking about?

40 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

It's The Bold And The Beautiful placed in a Fantasy setting. :|

49 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's just like LOTR, but with tits and arses!

I'm skeptical. I saw a picture of the character who's supposedly a Dwarf, and he doesn't even have a beard!

Lame.

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

It's a medieval fantasy show with magical elements.  So you have lots of sword combat and other kinds of medieval warfare; Limited magic though.  There's no real wizard types who cast spells and stuff like that (there's a little of that though), but there is flying dragons that breath fire.  However, the show doesn't really focus on all that stuff, it begins as primarily a political intrigue type show where there is a king's advisor who gets poisoned and several characters trying to figure out who did it, and it ends up being part of a larger conspiracy that disposes of the current king and there's a huge struggle for power that runs through all the seasons.  Since it was a risky gamble for HBO (ie, extremely expensive), they forced a lot of purely gratuitous sex and violence in the early seasons, but that goes away as time goes on.  If you start watching it and are not hooked after the first season, its not a show for you.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

tyrion-lannister-512x512.jpg

No beard. Not a real Dwarf. NOTHING like LOTR.

And where's his axe?

It was buried in his whore's head by the dwaf's father in the previous scene. 

Nerdist.com  GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

LEGION Season 1

A great new show, one of my favorites!  Take one part HANNIBAL, one part ALIAS, one part THE CELL, one part THE OA, one part PUSHING DAISIES, and throw it all in a blender and you get this strange and unusual show unlike anything I've seen on TV.  The early episodes are purposely confusing, with the main character not understanding what is going on so the viewer doesn't either.  Towards the end of the season when things get explained, then re-explained and discussed it loses a lot of the cool air of mystery the entire show had up until that point, but I dunno if I consider that a huge negative or a minor one yet.

Special shout-out to Aubrey Plaza who is just great on this show; Actually as I say that, I really enjoyed the entire cast.  Daniel Stevens sheds his Downton Abbey image, Jean Smart is always good, and then even Jemaine from freaking Flight of the Conchords shows up and he's great too!  The love interest is good, the sister is good, the mind reader expert guy is good, the bad guys are good, great casting and acting all around.

Really glad I gave this show a watch after hearing all the early buzz, as I dismissed it as being "another comic book show" before that.  That's a huge mistake, and there's hardly anything comic book-y about the show at all!    

Another nice thing is that its only 8 episodes long, so a short investment.

Finally, the music on this show is a big A+, with copious amounts of existing songs and original score.  They even got to license a Pink Floyd song!

schitts-creek-series-spotlight.jpg

Schitt's Creek Season 2

Either just as good, or probably better than the first season!  The show continues to expand its cast by focusing on more and more of the town members, and that was absolutely the right call.  The Roses still get their chance to shine, but character like Bob and Twyla and Mutt and Ted, and the Jazzagals are what make the show special.  I liked the storylines the Rose children got this season - David working for - and eventually getting closed - the Blouse Barn ( :lol: ) and Alexis working for Ted.  Johnny's storyline working for Bob led to lots of comedy gold (like the milk episode) and Moira running for Town Council was OK I guess.   I'm not sure how to feel about David and Stevie breaking up so soon after getting together; I guess every sitcom needs the long running will-they-won't-they, and their banter is pretty good whether they're together or not, so it all kind works.

Really enjoy this show!

Did anybody see this weekend's Saturday Night Live?  It was really strange!  Just sketch after sketch of a bizarre and unusual nature.  And then Louis CK disappears for like the middle third of his episode!  I mean, between the band that played, Weekend Update, and the weird double-Baldwin sketch, he was just gone for seriously like a third of the show.  I was actually surprised they'd give Baldwin so much screen time (two whole sketches) when he just recently hosted.  Was Louis CK cool with that?  The last new one with ScarJo was much funnier (especially that Mermaid sketch)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did anybody see this weekend's Saturday Night Live?  It was really strange!  Just sketch after sketch of a bizarre and unusual nature.  And then Louis CK disappears for like the middle third of his episode!  I mean, between the band that played, Weekend Update, and the weird double-Baldwin sketch, he was just gone for seriously like a third of the show.  I was actually surprised they'd give Baldwin so much screen time (two whole sketches) when he just recently hosted.  Was Louis CK cool with that?  The last new one with ScarJo was much funnier (especially that Mermaid sketch)

I also thought Louis' monologue was a little strange.  The material itself was pretty funny but he seemed oddly nervous, rushing through the jokes and practically pouring flop sweat on the stage.  Ah well, his new Netflix special is great.

Yea, his monologue was really bizarre.  Almost like they prepped nothing ahead of time, so he just went out there with some bit, and the bit just didn't land the way he wanted it to and he got really nervous about that.  The whole episode was weird

7 hours ago, Jay said:

There's no real wizard types who cast spells and stuff like that (there's a little of that though), but there is flying dragons that breath fire.  However, the show doesn't really focus on all that stuff

In Westeros, magic is all but gone from the Seven Kingdoms. That's why nobody believes in dragons and wights and white walkers. The Realm is as modern as it's going to get, so magic is a curiosity. But across the Narrow Sea and North of the Wall, magic survives and thrives. That's how you get the dragons and skin disease and wargs and the most important magic of all, the magic of resurrection. 

But no, if you need a wizard like Gandalf or Dumbledore, GoT is not for you. 

I was amused at the way Louis kept laughing in the racist sketch at the end, pretty sure he called Kate Kate and lost it from there. 

Was that even supposed to be a Polish accent?  As soon as he said "my wife" he sounded more like Borat

My wife and I have kept up with Broadchurch S3 every week, watching episode 7 tonight.  

The show is very well made and well acted, and I think it's still successful at showing how a single trauma affects both an individual and a community.  But the plot itself has been a little unfocused, too much laying hints of inappropriate behavior about too many characters.  I'm half expecting an Orient Express style twist where it turns out ALL the suspects committed the rape (not really).

On 10.4.2017 at 11:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

My wife and I have kept up with Broadchurch S3 every week, watching episode 7 tonight.  

The show is very well made and well acted, and I think it's still successful at showing how a single trauma affects both an individual and a community.  But the plot itself has been a little unfocused, too much laying hints of inappropriate behavior about too many characters.  I'm half expecting an Orient Express style twist where it turns out ALL the suspects committed the rape (not really).

I agree that it's not as consistent as it used to be in its first season, and yet I still enjoy it a lot, although it seems a bit unfocused. I was actually surprised to find that there's only one episode left now. I did consider the idea of more than one of the suspects being directly involved already a few weeks ago, and I actually think it wouldn't be out of place in this particular show. But I do wonder how (and if) they'll be able to tie it all together in a satisfactory fashion with just one more episode.

The first season remains clearly the best, of course, but then this is the kind of show that was so specifically set up for its first season storyline that anything added afterwards would have to be either completely over the top or grounded but less compelling. It's a wonder that it's remained consistently good, really.

It certainly leaves me more excited to see how Chibnall fares as DW showrunner.  The Who episodes he's written in the past were not among my favorites but I think he's closer to RTD's humanistic, emotional approach which should be a breath of fresh air after Moffat's super brainy style.

Just watched the first episode of the new MST3K....I was worried my brain would reject it on some level, but I'm happy to report that the show still works and still hilarious.  Didn't take long at all to get used to the new cast, and was thrilled that they retained the old format with invention exchange, fan letters, little skits, and even something that constitutes commercial breaks.  This is not a type of show that I can binge though, so I'll watch one every so often.

Thank goodness this doesn't suck.

A7JNPOhNboSaAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Clannad / Clannad: After Story

0f7582f5b71d1dea4ad6e5c31847f239fd594ccb

My anime run continues.  Although we have a handful of members who watch Japanese animation movies, there doesn't seem to be many at all that watch, or at least report on, television shows.  I've been watching almost nothing but anime since about November, and I'm not sure I can fully say why my devotion to this genre has grown so much.  That being said, this is a show that 's been on my radar for a while.  I try my best to stay away from spoilers and mostly go on popularity and a sense of quality, but I was already aware that this was known as a sad one, but didn't know much more beyond that general understanding. 

The show is split into two halves: Clannad and Clannad:  After Story, and despite the fact that they're technically two shows, they're most definitely two parts of a whole, telling one overarching story.  There is a format within the larger story where mini-arcs are laid out, showing how the two main characters interact with others while their own relationship grows.  While the sadness in the show is great, especially toward the end, there is great love, and it remains hopeful throughout.

Sorta checked out the first episode. It's British sci-fi from the Stone Age. The funniest thing is the sound of the doors opening and closing. It really had to be sci-fi-y. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor blake's 7

Holy sh!t! How come the Brits don't have a clue?!

All Good Things...

TNG's television swansong closer of an unusually uneven seventh season which had some of TNG's best episodes (Pegasus) and some of it's worst (Sun Rosa), and a whole bunch of episodes in between that don't register strongly enough. There's a sense of staleness in a lot of season seven where technoballe is far too prominent and any sense of wonder is often downplayed (Sadly Voyager started pretty much in that exact state not much later)

All Good Things is a hell of a farewell though. Pure TNG, temporal anomalies, different timelines, Q, and loads of technobabble.

It's very very complicated plot remains character based though, as the best TNG episodes often are. Patrick Stewart navigates these 3 timelines and must ensure the loyalties of a. a crew that doesnt yet know him and b. a crew that knows him and is devoted to him, but knows he has space-alzheimer of some sorts. TNG was never a show about conflicts, but did know how to create a crew which have faith in each other and their captain. Like Kirk stealing the Enterprise to bring Spock's mind to rest, this Enterprise crew willingly takes itself into the temporal anomaly created by their own tachyon bursts and risk their lives to create a static warp shell that will essentially save humanity (the episode strangely doesn't mention every other species in the Alpha Quadrant though).

As expected in the end all is well (they had a movie coming up after all). But it does end the show with a fine closing scene where Picard finally joins the weekly TNG poker game.

A unique series, and the default Star Trek for many, including me.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

All Good Things...

I remember loving "All Good Things" so much.  I haven't seen it in probably 10 years, but it was such a perfect sendoff for that series.

My wife and I just watched "Q Who?" last night in our full series run-through of TNG.  That episode totally holds up.  I'd forgotten how much of the "core lore" of the Borg comes later, though!  At this point they hadn't come up with the concept of the Borg assimilating entire species. They're basically presented as an alien culture that strips societies of technology and kills everyone in the process.  I'd forgotten that.

If there's one thing I actually like about Voyager, it's how it fills out a lot of the Borg story.  I'd almost say that if you want to watch Voyager, you should start with when they get to Borg space (end of season 3 on, essentially).

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:03 AM, BloodBoal said:

I've got quite a few anime shows on my ever-growing (and never really shrinking) list of things.

Anime has a habit of doing that.  I can't watch them fast enough.  I even keep a spreadsheet!

But hey, that makes me think I have a few suggestions for you, stuff that could be of interest to you: Last Exile, Nadia And The Secret Of Blue Water and Trigun (the last two I haven't watched though I've seen some scenes from them and they looked intriguing enough and I think might be to your liking. The first one I have seen and comes recommended!)

Last Exile is one I'm aware of and it's on my list, but for some reason I didn't notice it being available on any of my streaming platforms.  I just checked again and it's on Hulu, so I might make that one next!  Have you seen the second series, Fam, the Silver Wing?

Maybe I'll do eventually, and then I'll post my thoughts on them, to shut ya mouth! ;)

I'll believe it when I see it!

Just now, nightscape94 said:

Anime has a habit of doing that.  I can't watch them fast enough.  I even keep a spreadsheet!

Done something similar: started creating text files to list the the various animes, movies, tv shows, tc. that I want to watch. They're all insanely long. It's ridiculous!

Just now, nightscape94 said:

Last Exile is one I'm aware of and it's on my list, but for some reason I didn't notice it being available on any of my streaming platforms.  I just checked again and it's on Hulu, so I might make that next one!  Have you seen the second series, Fam, the Silver Wing?

Nope, I haven't, but it doesn't look as good as the first one.

Caretaker

I'm far from the biggest Voyager fan, but the pilot really did have a fantastic premise. Starts out great to. Using the groundwork laid on DS9 and TNG about the Maquis. A new ship, a strong, pragmatic captain, a rogue pilot, Injun first officer. 70.000 lightyears from home.

I believe Voyager was always best when they were doing action-sci-fi stories. Janeway not afraid to ignore the rules if things can be done quicker that way.Caretaker is one of those. Janeway reinterprets the Prime Directive, and trap her ship and crew 75 years from home. In the pilot Janeway isnt even the main focus, but Kate Mulgrew sells the character well. In character far closer to Kirk then Picard.

Paris and Chakotay are drawn well too. I love the fact that in this one they actually seriously hate each others guts. Tom Paris actually makes several racist slurs in this.

It starts fastpaced till they get to the Caretaker array, then the actual plot starts, and slowly as the new characters and races of the Delta Quadrant are introduced it becomes problematic that we dont care about any of them. The Ocampa are dull and weak, the Kazon are first depicted as desert scavengers, but have an attack ship the size of a Romulan warbird? The plot really gets bogged down during this but eventually picks up when "Action"Kate decides to get her crew out.

They also nail the resolution of the story. Which is a typical Roddenberry black and white moral choice. To get your crew home, or stay to protect a helpless race. The central idea behind Voyager's concept is steeped in Roddenberry. It's great.

This was clearly conceived as being a darker and sleeker Star Trek, going back into the Final Frontier, the TOS spirit. And it really works well as a Star Trek adventure film. With a theme composer by Jerry Goldsmith!

It's a pity Voyager lost that so fast. The dynamics of the characters became so dull straight away. The carefully planned Maquis arc leading to nothing.

Still plenty of strong episodes though. A few amazing two-parters. But it would never quite deliver on what this pilot promised.

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If there's one thing I actually like about Voyager, it's how it fills out a lot of the Borg story.  I'd almost say that if you want to watch Voyager, you should start with when they get to Borg space (end of season 3 on, essentially).

Yes I can't really recall any amazing episodes from the first 3 seasons. Unlike TNG and DS9, which had Q-Who, The Measure Of A Man, Duet, Necessary Evil in their early years.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes I can't really recall any amazing episodes from the first 3 seasons. Unlike TNG and DS9, which had Q-Who, The Measure Of A Man, Duet, Necessary Evil in their early years.

And even in TNG Season 2 there were at least some enjoyable, if undercooked, episodes that hinted at the greatness to come.  I'm thinking of episodes like "Contagion", "Time Squared", and "Elementary, Dear Data".

I have a huge soft spot for all those episodes. 

But the first ever episode of Star Trek I ever saw was Lonely Among Us, which I thought was advanced sci-fi aged 13 is awful now. 

Most of season one should only be watched stoned.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Most of season one should only be watched stoned.

Believe me, I know, having suffered through it last month.  We actually binged season 1 at a much faster pace than we have season 2, just to get through the awfulness.  When I've watched an episode like "Measure of a Man," I feel sated, like "that's all the Trek I need for one evening."

Related question: Do you have the bluray box of season 1?  I really loved the extended cut of "Measure of a Man"!  So sad, but understandable, that they had to cut those 13 minutes.