What's all this "STTMP's score is better than Star Wars" nonsense

Quintus

What's all this "STTMP's score is better than Star Wars" nonsense  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Is it justified?

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture's score is actually the superior score of the two
    • As good as Goldsmith's score is, its no Star Wars
    • Star Wars is in a league of it's own, I don't get all the fuss about Goldsmith's score
    • Star Trek IS a great score, but Star Wars is just better
    • As good as it is, Star Trek is held in high regard mainly by Star Trek fans, therefore they're largely responsible for its overblown acclaim. Nobody else really cares, save for score fans
    • I'm gonna get out that tired old Star Trek poster again, because its 'trendy' and clever to do so
    • I can't choose, or I like them both equally.

I voted for the second option.

Note how many options I gave Star Trek fans to justify the score against Star Wars? That's because they need to find justification for their preference, whereas John Williams' score to Star Wars needs NO introduction or justification, it just is what it famously it is ;)

Quote the above paragraph and argue against it, please. You do know what 'futile' means, don't you?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were banned? ;) I voted for No 1.

Only for 24 hours, only for 24 hours!

I brought you back a t-shirt from Banadau and one of the words on it is 'lousy'.

I went with ST:TMP is a great score, but SW is better. Without Star Wars, Star Trek: The Motion Picture would not have been made. Add to that the social impact (and not just on the small scale: when my nephew was two it was the Rebel Fanfare he was humming, not the Klingon Battle).

I am a trekkie and I love the score to ST:TMP.

BTW: Glad to see you weren't sent to Rura Penthe, Quint. (And why is it "banned" rather than "suspended"? Banned implies permanence to me.)

It wouldn't be right for me to vote since I've never listened to ST:TMP, but really no matter how good it is, and I've read a lot of praise, there's no way it can beat Star Wars for me. Star Wars is the reason I'm here, is the music I've heard the most ever since I was 3 or 4 years old and I asked my mom to put Star Wars on the turntable. For me there'll never be a score to surpass Star Wars, Empire, Temple of Doom or Superman, not just because of the great quality in the music, but for the emotional connection I have with these scores.

Add to that the social impact (and not just on the small scale: when my nephew was two it was the Rebel Fanfare he was humming, not the Klingon Battle).

Indeed ;)

Star Trek IS a great score, but Star Wars is just better

Ditto.

Ditto ditto.

Ditto ditto ditto.

I see no real difference between options 2 and 4.

Goldsmith invented a new sound. Can John Williams say the same? Hmmmm NO!

Goldsmith wins. TMP is a score with BALLS. Something you and John Williams don't have Quint.

Quint had balls to go up against a shark and then had a rather nasty castration.

For those who were born after 1979, Goldsmith's theme got plenty of play in the public arena leading up to the film's release. So it was in the public's mind. It may not have had the impact that Williams' theme did but it was out there.

It's times like this I miss Neil. He would have posted the famous poster by now

I can't listen to TMP too much in a row. That much "Enterprise theme" over and over and over again gets boring.

Speaking of Neil, who voted for #6 but didn't actually dig out the crusty poster?

The Enterprise Theme isn't used all that often, I don't think. At least not when listening to the complete score

Goldsmith invented a new sound. Can John Williams say the same? Hmmmm NO!

Goldsmith wins. TMP is a score with BALLS. Something you and John Williams don't have Quint.

Tell me about this 'new' sound and I promise not to skip over most of your long-winded answer! As an observer, I suspect your explanation to be hyperbolic fanboy love and nowt much more, see.

As for whose got balls, well I'll leave you to have fun with your definition of the meaning, since mine doesn't involve film music or message boards, obviously ;)

I would have chosen 5th option but fell asleep while reading it.

Then I can only assume you kept one eye open long enough to contribute then. ROTFLMAO

The difference is this: I don't think Star Trek is an all time great score. I think there are many better scores, from better films.

Star Trek IS a great score, but Star Wars is just better

Ditto.

Ditto ditto.

Ditto ditto ditto.

Ditto ditto ditto ditto. I think 4 just gives TMP more of the recognition it deserves than 2.

TMP is fantastic, one of Goldsmith's very best, but Star Wars is a score that I consider to be very probably John Williams's greatest. The full score really strikes me as a diverse, complete symphonic piece. Yeah, it got some help from the temp track, but Williams always addressed those issues an a way of intergrity. The score as a whole is pure Williams, and it's one of the very greatest scores ever made.

Negative.

Currently the score is:

Star Trek 9 - 17 Star Wars.

So far it would seem the Trekkies (people with wrong priorities) are in the minority, as usual. No surprises there then, they're use to it, no offense. I mean lol, it ain't even close, bless.

I would have chosen 5th option but fell asleep while reading it.
Then I can only assume you kept one eye open long enough to contribute then. ROTFLMAO

Yep , couple of hours later I woke up and voted that poster option. I just don't know how to do it.

That poster is great.That score isn't.

They're both truly great scores, among the best by either composer. It's not a slight against either score to say one is better than the other, because they're both that good.

I still voted for Star Wars, because I don't find the middle section of TMP, with its atonal dissonant, non-thematic portion, all that interesting. I understand it works well on screen, because little else did. It's just not as much fun to listen to as Star Wars.

But if we go down the road of "I like this better than" versus "it is better than," we'll just wake up the Socratic juggernaut from its sleep.

Looking at the poll choices again, it appears that options 1 and 6 are a vote for Star Trek, while options 2-5 are a vote for Star Wars, and option 7 is a can't decide. This is an oddly structured poll.

Anyway, Star Wars is winning 17-9-1. Ouch.

Note how many options I gave Star Trek fans to justify the score against Star Wars? That's because they need to find justification for their preference, whereas John Williams' score to Star Wars needs NO introduction or justification, it just is what it famously it is ROTFLMAO

But that's backwards logic, because you gave TWO options for voting for Star Trek, and FOUR options for voting for Star Wars, not the other way around

Some have though and some even loved it. I bet they really liked the music too.

So this is just an excuse for you to see TMP get less love than it normally does because you don't like it much?

Some have though and some even loved it. I bet they really liked the music too.

So this is just an excuse for you to see TMP get less love than it normally does because you don't like it much?

No its me being realistic.

But that's backwards logic, because you gave TWO options for voting for Star Trek, and FOUR options for voting for Star Wars, not the other way around

I think you're reading it too literally.