What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm neither the one to convince you nor will this change your mind, but I'm sorry - this simply doesn't make sense. Watching stripped-down, simplified, often kiddie-fied and hollywoodised approximations to the (in my opinion brilliant) original story isn't a very promising way of following the character's journey. It's like buying synth compilations of Williams scores instead of listening to the real thing.

;)

It's "deus", by the way.
I really liked Prisoner of Azkaban and then I decided I want to follow the characters journey (if I may call it that) no matter who scores the following installments. I have still no interest in Rowling's books.

I know I'm neither the one to convince you nor will this change your mind, but I'm sorry - this simply doesn't make sense. Watching stripped-down, simplified, often kiddie-fied and hollywoodised approximations to the (in my opinion brilliant) original story isn't a very promising way of following the character's journey. It's like buying synth compilations of Williams scores instead of listening to the real thing.

The point is that I don't give a crap about all that Voldemort stuff and the world of witchcraft and wizardry as a whole. I wouldn't have bothered with it in the first place, if it hadn't been for John Williams music - something I won't find in any of the books. Also, I would have given it all up after PoA, but I really started to like the characters as portrayed by also very likeable actors. As I stated many times, I find it fascinating to watch the young actors grow up on screen with their characters. I go to the theatre every couple of years not so much for Potter, Weasley and Granger, but for them being played by Radcilffe, Grint and Watson. Not to mention I simply adore watching Alan Rickman being Snape, or Dame Maggie Smith being McGonagall, or Emma Thompson, or Robbie Coltrane, or any other member of the wonderful cast. I won't find it in any of the books, either. Period.

GHOSTBUSTERS II. Oh dear. I sure hope this one was ghostwritten. Terrible music score too, like it was tracked from some sitcom or movie of the week.

Am I imagining things or is the third part in the works just as we speak (or, more specifically, type)?

Karol

It's "deus", by the way.
I really liked Prisoner of Azkaban and then I decided I want to follow the characters journey (if I may call it that) no matter who scores the following installments. I have still no interest in Rowling's books.

The point is that I don't give a crap about all that Voldemort stuff and the world of witchcraft and wizardry as a whole. I wouldn't have bothered with it in the first place, if it hadn't been for John Williams music - something I won't find in any of the books. Also, I would have given it all up after PoA, but I really started to like the characters as portrayed by also very likeable actors. As I stated many times, I find it fascinating to watch the young actors grow up on screen with their characters. I go to the theatre every couple of years not as much for Potter, Weasley and Granger, but for them being played by Radcilffe, Grint and Watson. Not to mention I simply adore watching Alan Rickman being Snape, or Dame Maggie Smith being McGonagall, or Emma Thompson, or Robbie Coltrane, or any other member of the wonderful cast. I won't find it in any of the books, either. Period.

I'm not particularly into "all that Voldemort stuff and the world of witchcraft and wizardry as a whole," either, but, if you have the time, I recommend the books as enjoyable reads.

GHOSTBUSTERS II. Oh dear. I sure hope this one was ghostwritten. Terrible music score too, like it was tracked from some sitcom or movie of the week.

Am I imagining things or is the third part in the works just as we speak (or, more specifically, type)?

Karol

Unfortunately you are not imagining things.

Just saw Bruno. Funny and forgettable. Has a couple of interesting scenes. Felt rather desparate, though. Like they were really trying to be controversial...they didn't really succeed.

I saw Minority Report, loved it as always, with the exception of one detail--at the very end Agatha was holding

that chip with the video of her mother being murdered...why on earth would she want to savor that remembrance?

I saw Minority Report, loved it as always, with the exception of one detail--at the very end Agatha was holding

that chip with the video of her mother being murdered...why on earth would she want to savor that remembrance?

The film has its share of plot holes, but I still enjoyed most of it a great deal.

Transformers- The Movie

I finally got around to wiping the bad taste of Michael Bay out of my mouth. I laughed, I smiled, I felt sad. Basically I felt things other than pain, which is all Bay's Transformers make me feel.

I love the atmosphere as Unicron is introduced at the start. The Decepticons taking over the Autobot shuttle and killing everyone on board, including well known characters, seals the tone of the whole movie. Megatron and Optimus' one on one feels like the huge event that it is, with both getting great lines. Prime's death was almost impossible to watch as a kid, and still makes me sad now. And then the scenes with the bad guys right after having some...issues...with leadership succession is the perfect comic relief after such an awful moment. Megatron/Galvatron's total and complete obliteration of Starscream afterward is my favorite part of the whole damn thing.

Once all the old characters are gone and the new ones fully take over the movie doesn't get to quite the same level as the first half, but it's still a fun ride. Kup and Hot Rod are a fun old timer/young hotshot pair. The ending is pretty rushed, though. And I could have done without the kid, but I suppose that was the target demographic.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

What the...

Why is everything in this film passed off as a joke?

Lame, lame, lame.

Hopefully you'll snap out of it soon, Marc. I'd say this is a criticism much better leveled at KOTCS. Yes, LC has a LOT of humor, but it's got a good bit of stuff that's not--the characters and their relationships are definitely treated with much more respect. It's scenes like the zeppelin conversation ("I had a milkshake"), the "death" of Indy, and "Indiana. Indiana...let it go" that would've done KOTCS a world of good.

-Ben, who does indeed still like KOTCS a lot.

What the...

Lame, lame, lame.

Hopefully you'll snap out of it soon, Marc. I'd say this is a criticism much better leveled at KOTCS. Yes, LC has a LOT of humor, but it's got a good bit of stuff that's not--the characters and their relationships are definitely treated with much more respect. It's scenes like the zeppelin conversation ("I had a milkshake"), the "death" of Indy, and "Indiana. Indiana...let it go" that would've done KOTCS a world of good.

Indeed.

What the...

Lame, lame, lame.

Joe

how did you log in under my name and me under yours.

Papa Jones' "You call this archeology?!" is possibly my favorite line of the whole series.

The whole dynamic between Junior and Senior Jones is just golden. Indy IV had nothing like that in it.

Mad Men: Season 2. Absolutely sublime. I'll refrain from my notorious hyperbole....but I really, really, really like this show, and this is a classic case of a series hitting its stride in its second season.

I decided to see Taken with my father using Video On Demand. I enjoyed it, I am always in the mood for a film where the good guy beats up the bad guy in a way that makes you want to punch and kick along with them. However, there were two aspects that nearly drove me insane: the cinematography, while not as bad as it could be, irritated me deeply in the action scenes, particularly when vehicles were involved. Couple that with music that almost sounds like a pastiche of clichéd modern action scoring and you have a frustrating experience that takes you out of the action. A shame too, because I enjoyed the sparse moments when Liam Neeson was taking on thugs, bullets, grunts, screams, and flesh noises providing the music.

Oh just wait till you see "Children of Earth", Steef. That has stayed with me days after I finished watching it. It's breathtaking television, and better than a lot of new Doctor Who, without the deus ex machina and guilty pleasures.

Mad Men: Season 2. Absolutely sublime. I'll refrain from my notorious hyperbole....but I really, really, really like this show, and this is a classic case of a series hitting its stride in its second season.

Damn! I still don't have it. I'm still deciding whether I should buy it on Blu-ray or standard DVD.

Wanted: This movie left me with a bad aftertaste. Ultraviolence seems to be the main focus! And then there's the subject material! Where The Matrix was somehow believable, this one totally isn't. It's a Stefancos film! Why? Lots of empty violence and Angelina Jolie (even though she's way to skinny to be sexy)!

Alex

It is a comic book adaptation. What did you expect? It didn't strike me as violent, really. Watchmen beats it in this depratment easily. Now that is a picture where I it is completely pointless, at least for the most part.

Speaking of which, I've seen the director's cut. Nothing much changed, but certain things seem now more fleshed out. The problem with this movie is not the fact that it is infantile, but because it tells the story carbon-copied almost verbatim from another medium, trying to immitate all its story structure and such. It is not working. In the end the pacing is uneven and most of the things seem forced. It's the kind of movie that is neither mainstream and neither ambitious. It's curious, for there is nothing like that out there. But that's it.

Karol - who desperately needs a new great show to watch.

In the context of Sin City or 300? It is not very violent.

EDIT: But then again... now that you mentioned it... there was a scene there where the main charaters dragged a body with a gun stuck in its head and was using it as a shield... And others things like that. You know what? I stand corrected. There was more of it than usual.

Karol

But the only thing I take away from this movie IS violence and nothing but violence.

Alex

I watched the film for Danny Elfman's score. The slavic-like melody has no place of being there, but, still, it's a great!

I edited my previous post BTW.

Karol

EDIT: But then again... now that you mentioned it... there was a scene there where the main charaters dragged a body with a gun stuck in its head and was using it as a shield... And others things like that. You know what? I stand corrected. There was more of it than usual.

Karol

He also kept shooting people while his gun was sticking through the head. I'm not against violence but a film has to offer more than just violence for the sake of violence. Sin City is violent too but I got others things from that movie as well. I haven't seen Watch Men yet but I'm sure this film will give me something else besides violence too.

Alex

It will, but in this particular case the violence is in all the wrong places. You need to watch the Watchmen it to understand what I mean though. it's out this month on DVD.

Karol

I hear it's artsy and better than 300 so I will probably buy it. Not that I think Watchmen wil be a great movie but I'm counting on several great moments. I only hope the DVD will have less grain noise than 300.

Alex - who went with the boy to the theater to see the newest Potter but who couldn't get in because there were only tickets left for the first row.

Papa Jones' "You call this archeology?!" is possibly my favorite line of the whole series.

Connery is the film's saving grace. The man oozes class and it helps the film tremendously.

Everything else just comes off as... bumbling characters running about.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I think it was the best HP film so far.

Are you serious? I thought it was the worst, alongside with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

The last film I watched was Finding Neverland. It was kinda cheesy and predictable, but the music was okay.

That was the one about Richard Kraft, right? Just curious, how long was Danny Elfman's part in the film?

No, you confused it with Finding Kraftland :P

Torchwood: Season 2. Absolutely sublime. I'll refrain from my notorious hyperbole....but I really, really, really like this show, and this is a classic case of a series hitting its stride in its second season.

Good prose, that.

Are you serious? I thought it was the worst, alongside with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Finally, I thought I was the only one. Though CoS is down there, too.

Finally, I thought I was the only one. Though CoS is down there, too.

You are suffering from several possible maladies, its either josh500 syndrome, a rare form of indy4 cancer, or you have a koray savas in your brain stem.

Samiraaa, our new poster, is dead on correct.

Connery is the film's saving grace. The man oozes class and it helps the film tremendously.

Everything else just comes off as... bumbling characters running about.

Everybody I know (except me) prefers LC over the three other Indiana Jones movies. If you were to remove Connery, or replace him with somebody infinitely duller, I wonder if the movie would be as beloved.

I wonder how many parallels you could draw between LC and ROTJ as the third and final movie in their trilogies (for at least a decade) also being the weakest in the set.

What makes the latter day Harry Potters so bad? Lack of Williams? The fact that each movie tries to turn a 700+ page book into a two hour movie, and thus sacrifices a LOT of stuff? Haven't seen movie 6 or read past book 4 yet, so I don't know.

Back to the Future part II

Good stuff, but the film suffers a bit from its constant gear and tonal shifts. The constantly changing goals for the characters can leave the viewer gasping for air at times. The third act is a hell of a lot of fun though, and the cast again delivers fine viewing pleasure. I feel the teaser for part III gives away a bit much though.

Back to the Future part II

Good stuff, but the film suffers a bit from its constant gear and tonal shifts. The constantly changing goals for the characters can leave the viewer gasping for air at times. The third act is a hell of a lot of fun though, and the cast again delivers fine viewing pleasure. I feel the teaser for part III gives away a bit much though.

Yeah, I agree. Part II was more over the top, such that when I once watched it immediately after Part I, I found myself a bit disappointed at first. It's far from bad, but I prefer the somewhat more restrained feel and deliberate pace that is present in both Parts I and III.

HBP had some extremely cringe worthy moments, but it was way better than the book.

Better than the book?! I have read some funny comments about the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but this beats them all. Could you please explain why you think that?

What makes the latter day Harry Potters so bad? Lack of Williams? The fact that each movie tries to turn a 700+ page book into a two hour movie, and thus sacrifices a LOT of stuff? Haven't seen movie 6 or read past book 4 yet, so I don't know.

There are a lot of different reasons why the latter-day Harry Potters suck. To make a long story short, WB doesn't seem to care about character development, good music, explaining the plot, portraying the story and the characters well, connection between scenes etc. They seem to have a gift for cutting important parts and coming up with ridiculous film lines.

And as for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince... they turned a dark fantasy story into a romantic comedy.