So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

Gattaca indeed has some interesting ideas (and some nice shots of Uma), but the movie is so boring.

You mean there are no car chases, fights and explosions.

Gattaca indeed has some interesting ideas (and some nice shots of Uma), but the movie is so boring.

You mean there are no car chases, fights and explosions.

Exacerbated by monotone characters I couldn't care less for.

Exacerbated by monotone characters I couldn't care less for.

Huh? You mean, there's no overacting in their performances, right? I know the acting is restrained because it fits the nature of the characters. Perhaps you miss the grand gestures and loud voices that you see on the stage or in Al Pacino's latest flicks? No really, I've certainly never heard someone say that Gattaca is boring because of its actors. Quite the opposite, actually. Especially Jude Law got a lot of praise. I too was very impressed by him.

Alex

I need to make assumptions because your posts are slightly uninformative and boring. See, I'm trying to understand your position better (I'm curious and things like that interests me) but it seems you don't really know it yourself. It's a shallow conversation when we restrict ourselves to nothing more than "it's a snore" or "I love it".

I need to make assumptions because your posts are slightly uninformative and boring. See, I'm trying to understand your position better (I'm curious and things like that interests me) but it seems you don't really know it yourself. It's a shallow conversation when we restrict ourselves to nothing more than "it's a snore" or "I love it".

Aw shucks, why would you want to understand little old my positions?

Aw shucks, why would you want to understand little old my positions?

Clearly, it's all a matter of perception. I know mine, I want to learn about yours (perception, Draxie, not that other word that starts with a 'P').

You know he has a Godzilla avatar, right?

Oh, I thought it was a sadistic ... ugh ... tool.

You might do better improving your mind elsewhere.

I do, but I also seek to improve it here.

The Fifth Element still holds up, in my opinion, such an underrated film. It's astonishing how the special effects there are better than some films today.

:up: :up: :up::nod:

The Fith Element is a dumb and silly Fantasy, Koray.

:blink:

:blink: :blink:

Someone enlighten me: 2001, Moon, Blade Runner (minus the flying police cars), what else?

True SF? Yes, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Solyaris, Gattaca (probably the most topical one), ... uhm ... what else is there?

A.I.!

And possibly that's it.

Minority Report could fit in, except it's based on a fantasy element.

It doesn't mean anything. We'are calling true s-f to the film equivalent of hard sci-fi from literature. However, science fiction stories don't have to be so strongly focused on its own "what if?"s, and their inner workings and consequences: Alien, Jurassic Park, The Abyss... There, the science-fiction element isn't elaborated on, or simply isn't the center of the story. These stories could happen just as well with straight forward fantasy or realistic ideas, because the speculative idea doesn't make the story in itself.

But I disagree with your second sentence. You can set a lot of ideas in space and it can work like fantasy anyway. I think the setting doesn't make science-fiction (genre) what it is, but the... science-fiction (thinking process), does.

Oh dude, I just couldn't get into it. I like a good dystopian story about eugenics and its ideas are worth discussion, but as a film it just puts me off for some reason. I'll happily watch Logan's Run though.

What the hell does true science fiction mean?

Any movie set in space can most likely be categorized as science fiction.

I'm trying to write "mathematical fiction". Call it "Ma-Fi".

The Fifth Element is such an ugly movie. It feels trashy, but not in a good way.

It is trashy. But I thought production design was intersting. Was Moebius involved by any chance?

Karol

Was Moebius involved by any chance?

Yes, he participated but Jean-Paul Gaultier did all the costumes.

Whatever merits the film might have, everything becomes so plain and dull when the story continues on the Space Cruise liner. Before that, it was watchable but nothing more.

The Fifth Element is such an ugly movie. It feels trashy, but not in a good way.

:blink:

Whatever merits the film might have, everything becomes so plain and dull when the story continues on the Space Cruise liner. Before that, it was watchable but nothing more.

Is everyone on crazy pills this morning?

Yeah, I have always hated this film as well. Campy beyond disbelief, and as soon as Chris Tucker got aboard it just became outright dreadful for me. Too bad Gary Oldman and Ian Holm were wasted in this.

Plus, Milla Jovovich= perfect? :lol:

I find that movie to be more bizarre than anything else. Part of me wants to like it, but it is just so...different. I can't even put my finger on it. Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman both kind of get on my nerves - although the latter has more to do with his ridiculous appearance than his acting, which is fine, as usual.

I think I'm gonna go watch this. It's been a while. I may not finish it, but I'll try.

It's Oldman's best performance, in my opinion. Probably my favorite Willis film as well.

It's a sci-fi action comedy. Someone described it as trashy, which is wholly accurate in a way they didn't mean. It's a future that I can actually believe could happen. It isn't all spick and span, it's gritty and dirty. It's infinitely quotable too. One of the few films I can watch over and over and never tire of. I've probably seen it well over 100 times. Back when I was about in 6th grade, when I visited Turkey for the first time, I found this playing on TV there, and was able to recite the lines in English :lol:

"My man, my man! Wha-wha-what is this thing with all these numbers?"

"It's a- it's a- it's a"

"No, no, no, no, no! Cause if it's a bomb, then the alarms would go off cause all these hotels have bomb detectors, right?"

I hated Leon too. There's something about the tone in which Besson tells his stories and that I don't find agreeable. I know the rest of the world is charmed by it. I can't explain it, maybe he's too much of a dog person for me. Watch it, Master Full Of Data, you'll love it! Everybody does!

Leon and Fifth Element are both among my very favorite films

Nothing else Luc Besson has been involved with has done much for me. I guess sometimes lightning strikes twice and that's it

• 1 month later...

Damon Lindelof Explains How This ALIEN Prequel Is Better Than STAR WARS Prequels:

Link

Alex

Sounds good. Starting to look forward to this movie

Yup, sounds good. Lindelof is a very frank and forthcoming guy. It's always a pleasure to read/watch his interviews. This one (the whole thing) is very fascinating indeed. Thanks for sharing!

Karol

• 2 weeks later...