Which disaster movie do you like best?

MSM

Which disaster movie do you like best?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which disaster movie do you like best?

• Independence Day (Roland Emmerich 1996)
    • The Day After Tomorrow (Roland Emmerich 2004)
    • 2012 (Roland Emmerich 2009)
    • Poseidon (Wolfgang Petersen 2006)
    • Deep Impact (Mimi Leder 1998)
    • Armageddon (Michael Bay 1998)
    • Volcano (Mick Jackson 1997)
    • Dante's Peak (Roger Donaldson 1997)
    • Twister (Jan de Bont 1996)
    • The Core (Jon Amiel 2003)
    • Godzilla (Roland Emmerich 1998)
    • War of the Worlds (Steven Spielberg 2005)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Titanic?

Excellent point. If you include The Towering Inferno, then you'd almost have to put Titanic in there as well. Both feature natural forces (one fire, the other an iceberg) destroying property and lives--but only as a result of human error. The consequences weren't intended, but individual mistakes of short-sighted men led to the inevitable conclusions. If people allow nature to take over, does that count?

- Scott

If the ship sank in the first third of the film, and with less lovey dovey stuff, then yes Titanic would be a disaster movie. As it is its a romance set against the backdrop of a disaster.

ID4 is by far the most entertaining movie from this list.

I can cope with the whole virus argument by assuming that modern laptops / software were products of reverse engineering the alien technology, and thus "compatible" with the mothership. Although it still requires a major suspension of disbelieve!

Guys, it was difficult to decide which movies to include in the poll. I just put there what I thought most people would classify as disaster movies. In the end it all depends on one's definition of a disaster movie. I just think there is no clear definition that would work for everybody. One could argue Jurassic Park is also a disaster movie. So, please just vote from the listed movies, or feel free to name your own movies :P .

Any Michael Bay movie. They're all disasters.

Even worse when Zimmer and his MV clones score them.

Jablonsky is the only one who doesn't hate Michael Bay. Mark Mancina hated working with him on Bad Boys, thus why he didn't return for the sequel; and I think Zimmer said it was over after Pearl Harbor.

I really can't pick a favourite out of that lot, although I can name a few it definitely wouldn't be: War of the Worlds, Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla, Poseidon.

In terms of score, Deep Impact is definitely my favourite. It's got everything except action, which is good because it's nice to have a break from screeching shakahuchis, rumbling pianos and metal clangs.

Actually, looking at that list, it's apparent that I rather like scores for disaster movies. There are 6 movies there whose scores I would instantly buy expanded versions of, and they're all in the '96-'98 period. Most of my 'grails' are from that period.

The Core is a classic. The film packs with outstanding actors (Stanley Tucci, Bruce Greenwood, Hilary Swank, Aaron Eckhard, Delroy Lindo). It is so entertaining film.

The Core does take itself very seriously and while I've only seen it once, the parts I remember were tolerable at worse, and quite entertaining at best.

Young's score is reasonably good but I don't like his theme much; it's too simplistic.

Thing with disaster movies is you don't go into them looking for character development and a great script. You want the effects, great action, things blowing up and some funny lines. At least that's what I look for. IMO anyone who reviews a pocorn movie but looks for oscar material, they're barking up the wrong tree.

The Core does take itself very seriously and while I've only seen it once, the parts I remember were tolerable at worse, and quite entertaining at best.

Young's score is reasonably good but I don't like his theme much; it's too simplistic.

Thing with disaster movies is you don't go into them looking for character development and a great script. You want the effects, great action, things blowing up and some funny lines. At least that's what I look for. IMO anyone who reviews a pocorn movie but looks for oscar material, they're barking up the wrong tree.

Young pleases me also, good score for the genre.

Usually characters are not important in disaster films, but The Core has a great cast, and we can see some nice acting also. :)

Stanley Tucci shines in it particularly, remember that "meltdown" in the capsule? ;)