FILM NIGHT - Tanglewood (Aug. 14, 2010)

RonBurbella

I'll be attending the annual FILM NIGHT at Tanglewood, August 14th. The Visitor Center is unable to provide me with the Final Program of film music to be played except for Raiders, Close Encounters, Jaws, and....CHINATOWN.

So I guess the Tribute to "Steven Spielberg" will be half of the concert, and the "other half" will include Chinatown.

TWO QUESTIONS:

(1) Does anyone know of or have the ENTIRE Film Night program?

(2) Does anyone know if FILM NIGHT will be broadcast live over the Internet as it has been in the past?

Thanks!

Ron Burbella

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the entire programme from next saturday's Film Night concert:

“HOLLYWOOD’S GOLDEN AGE”

WHITING (arr. Williams) “Hooray for Hollywood”

WAXMAN Suite from “Sunset Boulevard”

HERRMANN Scene d’Amour from “Vertigo”

NORTH Forest Meeting and March from “Spartacus”

GOLDSMITH “Chinatown”

JARRE “Lawrence of Arabia”

{Intermission}

“CELEBRATING STEVEN SPIELBERG”

WILLIAMS

Two Selections from "Jaws"

Theme

Barrel Chase Sequence

Excerpts from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”

Two Selections with Chorus

Exultate Justi from “Empire of the Sun”

Dry Your Tears, Afrika from “Amistad”

BUTI YOUNG ARTISTS CHORUS

March from “1941”

Theme from “Schindler’s List”

with TAMARA SMIRNOVA, violin solo

A Tribute to Steven Spielberg

“Close Encounters”—“Jaws”—“Jurassic Park”—

“Munich”—“E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial”

The Film Night concerts have been broadcast in the past by several radio stations from the Boston area, including WCRB or WAMC, so it's presumable they'll do the same this time.

I'm glad that Williams is paying homage to his friend Alex North's Spartacus, with no less than 2 themes from the film. Raiders March is likely to be performed as encore (considering there's no Indy music in the programme), and Hymn to the Fallen was supposed to be played in the concert, but for some reason it has been excluded.

Does the Tanglewood program usually end up being similar to the Hollywood Bowl program? I'm going to the Bowl at the end of this month and I'm curious what the final program will be.

Munich? Does he ever conduct that? I can't wait.

The program seems slightly messed up. Is the theme from Jaws in the Spielberg tribute supposed to be Hymn to the Fallen? The Jaws theme is already listed. Also, in regards to Raiders, it was supposed to be included in the program along with Private Ryan.

Munich? Does he ever conduct that? I can't wait.

The program seems slightly messed up. Is the theme from Jaws in the Spielberg tribute supposed to be Hymn to the Fallen? The Jaws theme is already listed. Also, in regards to Raiders, it was supposed to be included in the program along with Private Ryan.

No, that Spielberg tribute suite is arranged to match the visuals edited by Bouzereau for the occassion. So they won't be the full themes, but rather excerpts of them merged into a single piece, as he's done in the past with the Lucas/Spielberg tribute video or the Oscars presentation.

Two Selections from "Jaws"

Theme

Barrel Chase Sequence

I wonder if "Barrel Chase Sequence" is "Sea Attack Number One" (aka "Man Against Beast") -- which was recorded on the Williams on Williams album with the BPO and re-titled "Barrel Chase" -- or the actual, spectacular "One Barrel Chase" (aka "The Great Shark Chase") as heard on the original MCA OST album.

I'm so excited! Someone remember to record it for us to listen it again and also if he performs Tintin as an encore, who knows ;)

Edit: The concert per se starts in 30 minutes, but now they're playing some selections from Williams works. First, The Cowboys!

Personally I'm not a big fan of this kind of medleys that Williams seems to became fond of in the latest years. I think his compositions deserve a better treatment than this. I'm aware they probably make good "show business", but I don't like to hear a snippet from Jaws here followed by another from Munich there, etc.

Otherwise it was a very good concert, with amazing playing from the BPO.

Personally I'm not a big fan of this kind of medleys that Williams seems to became fond of in the latest years. I think his compositions deserve a better treatment than this. I'm aware they probably make good "show business", but I don't like to hear a snippet from Jaws here followed by another from Munich there, etc.

That's why they call it SHOW BUSINESS.

Next.

;)

I listened to the stream and i have to say the concert was amazing! Very very well played by the Pops. The only pity was that there was only Raiders as Encore.

I didn't know that suite of Lawrence of Arabia and the way it was played blew me completely away, so epic!!!

The Suite from Lawrence of Arabia was arranged by Williams' orchestrator Eddie Karam. It's conceived to be played in sync with a montage sequence prepared by BSO documentarian Susan Dangel.

Concerning Williams' medleys like the one he performed last night, I know they're suited to be presented along specially-produced film clips and they work very well in a "showbiz night" like the ones they do in Tanglewood. However, I think this isn't the best way to present the marriage between music and images. I deeply love when JW plays a whole sequence in sync with the film (like the barrel chase from Jaws he did last night, that was unbelieveably great), but I don't like those kind of music-video montages where the music is presented like a "greatest hits" thing. It undermines the inner value of the composition and the audience is somewhat distracted from the actual music by the visuals. I'm very much convinced that great film music doesn't need the crutch of film clips when presented in a concert setting.

However, I guess these kind of concerts are somewhat of a middle ground: you have to satisfy the "general audience" while keeping a degree of musical integrity. Williams has always been able to juggle between this two sides and his longtime tenure with the Pops demonstrated this successfully.

I don't think that I would go back to Tanglewood unless the program was really amazing. It's by no means a bad venue, but it's a place that absolutely cannot handle the traffic load for something like Film Night so you end up sitting in traffic for hours just trying to get off the 2 1/2 mile rural road it's next to in the middle of nowhere northwestern Massachusetts. The highlight of the evening was definitely the Jaws scene. It was nice to hear the Empire of the Sun and Amistad pieces live with the chorus, as well as 1941. More firsts for me. The Spielberg tribute wasn't very good. I was disappointed Hymn to the Fallen wasn't performed since it was promoted on the website. Williams didn't come out for autographs, but I don't blame him. He must have hauled ass out of there in his car. I would have. Also, ROTLA came out in 1981, not 87, Robert Osborne.

Jaws, Close Encounters and Lawrence of Arabia were my favorite performances of the evening. Always magical to see Williams conduct live. I think I'll go to several Film Nights at BSH next May.

Hi!

I'm new here. I was also at Film Night. I agree with ETAndElliot4Ever that the traffic load is quite something. The Jaws segment was quite outstanding. I was sitting in the front row and had quite a good view of the orchestra and John conducting. After the concert, I went to the left side where the cars were and waited quite sometime, around 45 - 50 minutes. It was quite sometime before he came out, as Robert Osbourne came out about 15 minutes before John did. I've been going for the past several years and have found that, after chatting with security, other fans etc, he hardly goes to the ramp on the right side anymore (like, one in a millions times). Security etc will tell you to go to the other side but it's more than likely you have a much, much higher chance on seeing him on the left side. Every time I've seen him on the left time, he has been nothing but wonderful and kind. I have yet to get his autograph, but he has waved to me and said hello.

Jaws and Close Encounters, as ETAndElliot4Ever mentioned, were also the stand out pieces for me. There was just something quite special about them.

Hi guys. I guess that would be my first post in 3 years? I was able to attend Tanglewood for the first time this year. I wanted to see John Williams direct the Boston Pops Since the mid 80s so it was a long time coming. My photos:

PS: If you would like those photos in high res, PM me or email me at vincehardyatgmaildotcom

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

"Who is this old chap?!? He still has all his hair!!"

:)

:unsure: Those pictures are great, particullary that one! I wonder what was the narrator said Williams was so surprised about. Maybe...

"Bernard Herrmann was known for his gracious temper and his easy going nature"

"WHAT?!?!"

• 1 month later...

This is all very cool. I am JW's video guy at symphony hall and Tanglewood. I would love to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Oh and it's nice to see pictures of my work here. I also set all the big video screens (the center screen and plasma next to the stage)

Welcome to the boards Boston Video Guy!

I was there on film night this year and I must say I was blown away by some of the shots of the orchestra and MR. Williams. My personal favorite was when you got and over the shoulder shot of Ms. Smirnova showing the sheet music as she was playing the lead part to Schindlers List.

All I can say is that the excellent video work made this once in a lifetime event all that much better for me so thank you for the great work!

Brian99_1