Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

Because I am a neat-freak, I'd love the cue list for the Phantom Menace, the proper one (timings and all). We only have a handful of cue titles and numbers for it, and it would make my TPM edit look much more coherent with my Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones edits.

It's definitely the Rosetta Stone needed to figure out the biggest mystery of the prequels, but sadly I don't know ANYBODY that has it

Yeah, TPM is quite a puzzle. Despite the fact that this is one of the scores I've been most interested in editing for quite some time, I'm going to continue to hold off on that until we have really solid information on what music goes where. I know that a lot of the theories are very, very solid, but this is such a complicated editing situation that I want to be really, really sure before I even think about it. :P

Two questions in regards to the cue sheets:

Ep2--

Any idea about what 2M4 would have been?

Ep3--

Is

1M1 Main Title (tracked) & 1M2 War Drums or was something else intended?

Thanks,

Andy

For AOTC, since 2m4 doesnt appear on the cue list, that means it wasn't ever spotted. Sometimes numbers get jumped like that. It could also be for a scene deleted before the spotting sessions

Two questions in regards to the cue sheets:

Ep2--

Ep3--

Is

Thanks,

Andy

Not sure about what 2M4 would have been. It's quite possibly a numbering error made either by Williams or whoever noted down the cue numbers.

1M1 is Main Title, it is tracked from the Phantom Menace. 1M2 is Boys into Battle. "War Drums" is something that was recorded separately along with most other percussion in Revenge of the Sith.

Ep2--

Sometimes they just skip numbers if there's a long part of the film with no music. :)

Ep3--

Is

We don't really know, sadly. 1M3 is of course "Boys Into Battle", and it was always intended to be edited to segue from the tracked Main Title exactly as heard on the OST, so it's not like there would have been music in between. Maybe the Fox logo music was 1M1 and the Main Title was 1M2? Seems like it'd be a weird choice, but this actually isn't the first Star Wars score to have a situation like this. ANH has the cue "The War" (the first part of "Imperial Attack") numbered as 1M3, and that of course comes right after the main title, just like "Boys Into Battle." So who knows...

In any case, I strongly doubt there was ever a separate "War Drums" cue. (And if there were, it would have been called something like "1M3 Percussion Overdub.") The percussion was simply recorded separately, apparently with some alterations from how it was originally written.

e don't really know, sadly. 1M3 is of course "Boys Into Battle", and it was always intended to be edited to segue from the tracked Main Title exactly as heard on the OST, so it's not like there would have been music in between. Maybe the Fox logo music was 1M1 and the Main Title was 1M2? Seems like it'd be a weird choice, but this actually isn't the first Star Wars score to have a situation like this. ANH has the cue "The War" (the first part of "Imperial Attack") numbered as 1M3, and that of course comes right after the main title, just like "Boys Into Battle." So who knows...

In any case, I strongly doubt there was ever a separate "War Drums" cue. (And if there were, it would have been called something like "1M3 Percussion Overdub.") The percussion was simply recorded separately, apparently with some alterations from how it was originally written.

This is what I believe also.

This is what I come up with then:

EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES

20th Century Fox Fanfare

1M1 1:25 Main Title

1M2 1:27 The Arrival at Coruscant

1M3 3:45 Thwarted Attempt

1M4 1:18 The Meeting of Anakin and Padme

1M5 0:51 She Hardly Recognized Me

1M6 3:43 Zam's Dirty Trick

1M7A 3:32 Zam Chase Pt. 1

1M7B 3:09 Zam in Pursuit

2M1 3:58 Zam is Eliminated

2M2 4:32 Palpatine's Plotting

2M3 1:33 Departure

2M4 [uNKNOWN TITLE - DEX'S DINER (SOURCE)]

2M5 1:14 The Library Scene

2M6 3:43 Yoda and the Younglings

2M7 2:20 Approaching Naboo Palace

3M1 1:31 Finding Kamino

3M1 0:19 [uNTITLED - 3M1INSERT]

3M2 0:47 Visiting the Prime Minister

3M3 1:54 The First Kiss

3M4 1:45 Interior Tipoca City

3M5 2:26 The Meadow Scene

3M5R 2:27 The Meadow Scene (Rev.)

3M6 2:42 The Meeting with Fett

3M7 3:44 The Dinner Scene

3M8 2:34 Rainy Ramp and Anakin's Nightmare

3M9 1:28 [uNTITLED]

4M1 3:40 The Jango Fett Fight

4M2 0:43 Watto Describes Mothers Fate

4M3 2:15 The Spare Canister Caper

4M4 3:11 The Arrival at Tatooine

4M5 2:33 Obi-Wan Eavesdropping

4M6 2:39 Rescuing Mother

5M1A 1:43 Carrying Mother Home

5M1B 2:25 Anakin Changes

5M2 3:40 Smee's Funeral

5M3 1:00 The Commerce Guild Prepares for War

5M4 3:24 [uNTITLED]

5M5 1:32 Finding the Conveyor Belt

5M6 2:55 The Conveyor Belt

5M6 0:03 [uNTITLED - 5M6INSERT]

5M7 1:46 The Senate Scene

6M1 2:37 Love Pledge

6M2 0:06 Sweetener

6M3 4:55 [uNTITLED]

6M4 5:27 [uNTITLED]

6M5 2:02 Padme Falls

6M5 0:19 [uNTITLED - 6M5INSERT]

7M1 2:21 Dooku Versus Obi-Wan

7M2 2:18 Yoda Strikes Back

7M3 5:23 Finale

7M3 0:38 [uNTITLED - 7M3INSERT]

6:02 End Credits

6:02 End Credits - CD Version

6:02 End Credits - Gelb Version

5:38 End Credits - Updated Gelb Version

EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH

1M1 [TRACKED -- 20th Century Fox Fanfare or Main Title??]

1M2 [TRACKED -- Main Title or War Drums??]

1M3 2:51 Boys into Battle

1M4 1:42 They're Coming Around

1M4A 2:06 "Get 'em, R-2!"

1M5 3:24 The Elevator Scene

1M6 0:45 Count Dooku's Entrance

1M7 2:14 The Death of Dooku

1M8 [TRACKED -- Going Down]

2M1 3:22 [uNTITLED -- Grievous and the Droids]

2M2 [TRACKED -- Coruscant's Warm Welcome]

2M3 0:35 Another Happy Landing

2M4 1:54 Revisiting Padme

2M5 1:49 Grievous Travels to Palpatine

2M6 5:40 Scenes and Dreams

2M7 1:31 Be Careful of Your Friend

3M1 4:10 Council Meeting

3M2 0:39 Hold Me

3M2A 1:35 Palpatine's TV Set

3M3 3:33 Palpatine's Big Pitch

3M4 [TRACKED -- Battle of Kashyyk]

3M5 2:30 Goodbye Old Friend

3M6 2:13 Going to Utapau

3M7 1:28 Riding the Lizard

3M8 0:15 Obi-Wan Faces Droids

4M1X 0:07 Drawing Swords

4M1 [TRACKED -- Fighting with Grevious]

4M1A 0:20 Good Guys Arrive

4M2 [TRACKED -- A Plot to Destroy the Jedi]

4M3 2:37 Palpatine's Seduction

4M4 0:54 Rolling with Grievous

4M4A 1:32 Fighting with Grievous

4M5 1:26 Dialogue with Mace

4M5A 1:20 Padme's Ruminations

4M6 6:40 I Am the Senate

5M1 1:51 Palpatine Instructs Anakin

5M2 [TRACKED -- Execute Order 66]

5M3 4:16 Lament

5M3A 0:30 Bail's Escape

5M4 2:39 Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell

5M5 2:00 News of the Attack

5M6 4:12 Moving Things Along

5M7 2:13 Anakin's Dark Deeds

6M1 4:58 It Can't Be

6M2 0:51 A Moody Trip

6M3 5:02 Padme's Visit

6M4 4:31 Heroes Collide

6M5new 1:27 Duel of the Fates (Choir Only)

6M6 0:50 Yoda Falls

6M7 2:04 The Boys Continue

6M8R 0:29 Yoda to Exile (Rev)

6M9 2:37 Revenge of the Sith

6M9 3:00 Revenge of the Sith (DVD Version) [battle of the Heroes?]

7M1 2:20 The Immolation Scene

7M2 2:01 Anakin Crawling

7M3 2:26 The Birth of the Twins

7M4 1:58 The Death of Padme

7M5 1:37 Plans for the Twins

7M6 1:07 Padme's Funeral

7M7 1:20 A Home for the Twins

7M8 11:00 End Credits

From the official cue list for ROTS:

1M1 Fox Fanfare (The Empire Strikes Back Recording)

1M2 Star Wars Main Theme (The Phantom Menace Recording)

2M1 Grievous and the Droids

Also, 6M6 0:50 Yoda Falls is 15 seconds long, not 50.

It was? i was referring to the cue list apparently released to Hyperspace members. Curious... maybe people had added a few titles of their own in...

Well, its untitled on Williams' original sketch, the fully orchestrated sheet music, as well as the cue list PDF that Phoenix posted to this thread a few pages back.

Of course, since it was called "Grievous and the Droids" on the OST, that name is the best name to use for it anyway.

Of course we know that John didn't compose the source music for TPM and AOTC but rather his son. I could see why it would be missing from the sheet music and cue list.

I saw that hyperspace cue list for Ep3 -- I don't believe that it listed ANY of the tracked music cues, including 1M1 and 1M2.

But anyhow, I updated the lists with the Dex's Diner marked now.

Hey guys I don't think this was ever discovered in the PC rips of TFU 1. File 340 - PC_mxFE2_jwSusState01_lp is the ending for "The Spare Canister Caper".

Edit: Also file 374 - PC_mxRX1_jwTransition09_nl has the portion of "Grevious Travels To Palpatine" with out the choir. You can replicate the ending from "Reel 4 Deconstruction".

Some interesting discussions about the AOTC score over here.

Up until today, it’s still kinda unbelievable how badly edited the score for AOTC was: the looping, the tracked music on places where it wasn’t needed at all. The edit during the 2nd part of the meadow picnic is quite absurd and I still don’t get it why they didn’t use the original transition from the fire place scene to the “rainy ramp” scene.

I have another question. In the movie, the transition between “Visiting prime minister” & “first kiss” contains some tracked music form the beginning of that cue.

Could it be that the original transition is heard at the beginning of the “extended Naboo arrival” deleted scene? It contains some music I can’t really place and

continues with the music heard at the island retreat balcony. I’ve been wondering this for some time.

Indeed, i think that is the original cue....

I must have a different rip for the TFU PC files then than what you two got but I heard it last night when I was listening to the files.

Edit: Crap I was wrong it's file 372 - PC_mxRX1_jwTransition07_nl. My bad on that fellas.

Just listened to the file, there's nothing there that isn't on the Album (it's actually the bit that is prior to the choral kicking in).

Just listened to the file, there's nothing there that isn't on the Album (it's actually the bit that is prior to the choral kicking in).

Ah okay by the way file 81 from TFU 2 contains the clean opening for "Carrying Home Mother" from AOTC.

Sadly not - I just use a feigned ending with samples (although it doesn't sound as good). We do have the clean opening though (from TFU2)

The bottom line is that no one knows for sure. =/ We don't have any solid information on what exactly goes where, and we don't know how much music is missing, if any. Hopefully that information will become available eventually, but for now...it's anyone's guess.

I think I've nailed it down but it's too hard to type up in words on what to use and such. Just be patient and wait to see if we end up getting the sheet music for that cue.

No, not really. LEGO Star Wars has a history of using album-only material, and they'll probably be using mostly music from the TV series, although never say never (since we get some AOTC levels)

Can anyone please tell me how to assemble "7m1 Dooku Versus Obi-Wan"? I'm completely confused....

I gave up a long time ago and just use someone elses edit

No, not really. LEGO Star Wars has a history of using album-only material, and they'll probably be using mostly music from the TV series, although never say never (since we get some AOTC levels)

And possibly, music will contain SFX.

There's a bit mixed in with the Conveyor Belt tracks in Bounty Hunter that I first thought was a few notes from Zam in Pursuit. But on closer inspection it's definitely not (similar notes but they lack certain instruments over them), and it's definitely not the music composed by the game's composer, so that got me thinking. What if that small brass section is actually the 3-second 5M6 insert? Sadly, it's not useable because whoever mixed the game placed percussion all over the track, ruining the piece, and I haven't yet found a way of removing it.

Thanks for pointing that out ggtuck. Even though that section does have the drums or whatever overlayed on it I'm still going to use it, simply because on the OST it's edited to hell and there's no way to get an accurate edit of it and the TFU material. If we're using the OST time for track 14, I think that 5m6 insert would go about 0:50 into the cue then the rest would be "The Conveyor Belt". It would make sense.

Yup...

I'm working on trying to remove the percussion from the file (since it's looped from a certain point). At the moment the primary problem is finding the right point to mix in a reversed wave version of the percussion, and finding the right volume to mix it in at.

Actually I'm wrong, since "The Conveyor Belt" according to the PDF time is 2:55 it should start at 0:46 from the OST time with those string notes under the trumpet notes. Then the insert would go before that point. So the insert I do believe is in the correct place in the Bounty Hunter file. The clean ending for "The Conveyor Belt" would be file music_CSDQ_FUM01 from the PS2 rips of TFU 1.

Edit: Gah I was right the first time "The Conveyor Belt" I do believe would start at 0:50 into the cue from using the OST time for track 14. Also interesting enough the material on the OST in order to match the Bounty Hunter material for the "clean" ending needs to be pitched up by 102.5%.

Double Edit: Now that I think more about it, I wonder if that insert was meant to go at the end of the cue. The way how it ends in the Bounty Hunter file is exactly how that unused ending begins before they cut it out. If you also listen closely to the original ending before the trumpet portion kicks in, it sounds a lot like the horn bit from that insert.