Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

I just uploaded a video of the Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett fight on youtube, and it showed me this:

Your video, Obi-Wan Vs Jango Fett HD , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities:

* Entity: Warner Chappell Content Type: Musical Composition

Maybe Warner Chappell now has the rights to the music? Is this a sign that complete releases are going to be released?

Did it block it?

No.

They own the rights to all of the music of Star Wars, I think. I believe we have discussed this before in this thread.

Actually Sony is the one who owns all the rights to the Star Wars music. If another company has it it's possible they may release the complete scores for the Prequels.

Now let's hope they use an easy convertable sound format!

It seems we will have the quiet part from dooku vs obi-wan which was featured in bounty hunter.

What file are you talking about for the Bounty Hunter that has that part?

I'm sure I read somewhere they administer the music. It might have been in a video game manual (because it was mentioned alongside Bantha Music).

I'm sure I read somewhere they administer the music. It might have been in a video game manual (because it was mentioned alongside Bantha Music).

The Force Unleashed says:

Original Star Wars ™ music

composed by

John Williams (P) and © Lucasfilm

Ltd. & TM.

All rights reserved. Used uner

authorisation. Published by Bantha

Music (BMI).

Administered by and/or

co-published by Warner-

Tamerline Music Publishing

Corp. (BMI)

That's not Warner Chappell.

No, it wasn't in there. For some reason, I seem to be remembering it being in The Phantom Menace manual, or one of its derivative games. in any case, they're both owned by WMG anyways.

No, it wasn't in there. For some reason, I seem to be remembering it being in The Phantom Menace manual, or one of its derivative games. in any case, they're both owned by WMG anyways.

everygame lists bantha music group (a warner company) to be the owners of the music.

Alexander, I would try uploading something from either TPM or ROTS just to see if it says anything different.

Well in the EP I UE it says... "All music published by Bantha Music (BMI), Admistered by Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. Used by permission./ and SONY CLASSICAL Reg. U.S.... etc.

Distribution Sony Music

Ep II also mentions Warner

So, according to this, SONY serves only as the distributor, IE the soundtrack-release holder. The master rights belong to Bantha Music.

It probably means they own a lot of Williams masters (and note they actually list the masters of the film soundtracks too). Shame we can't even see a list of track info there.

Perhaps the change in copyright status on youtube has something to do with WMG being sold to Access Industries this month?

btw, i received that itunes message when i uploaded videos of live concert of music fron all star wars films, and Catch me if you can 'escapades for saxo and orchestra'.

"A Knife at Gunfight" is also listed there.. isn't that an unreleased INdy IV Track??

Could we find some missing cuetitles in there?

A Knife to A Gunfight you mean

I'm inclined to believe that the cue titles on this page are all legit, or very close. All of the original cue titles that we do know are correct there, and the rest are pretty consistent with Williams' idiosyncratic style of naming cues. FWIW, it lists that cue as "A Knife at a Gunfight." The second "a" could have either been accidentally added here or accidentally omitted from that other list.

I'm inclined to believe that the cue titles on this page are all legit, or very close. All of the original cue titles that we do know are correct there, and the rest are pretty consistent with Williams' idiosyncratic style of naming cues. FWIW, it lists that cue as "A Knife at a Gunfight." The second "a" could have either been accidentally added here or accidentally omitted from that other list.

jason can tell us where he got those track names and confirm its 'officiality' :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, most of the ROTS percussion was recorded seperatly? The sheet music does not have the snare drums in Boys Into Battle. That would explain why the tracked intro from Boys Into Battle in Good Guys Arrive has no snare drums.

Actually, the snare drums (and/or field drums) are referred to as "deep drums" in the score. That's something Williams has especially tended to do in recent years...I'm not sure why. But the percussion indeed seems to have been recorded separately, since there are multiple instances of the percussion being dialed out.

Such as the tracked bit of Boys Into Battle, the looped portions of I Am The Senate, and on the album, the Elevator Scene (track 1) and Enter Lord Vader (track 11).

It would be better than SFX ridden DVD rips, or nothing (If of course they do ever put something good on Vol. 2, which I doubt)

The only thing they put up when they had the music for the mashups was the missing note of Droid Fight, and I think these days such a thing could easily be made with a sequencer anyways - the rest of what was there was already available from the games. AOTC and ROTS had mono versions of the album music.

What do i need for editing Goodbye Old Friend? I've made a list myself, but i do not know if it's complete:

Battlefront II

Galaxies

The Force Unleashed

By the way, you can also easily edit out the editing from the Galaxies 'Arrival At Utapaue End' file. They combined the beginning ostinato with the end of the cue. If you use the rear channels for that bit you can make a nice edit.

Actually, the snare drums (and/or field drums) are referred to as "deep drums" in the score. That's something Williams has especially tended to do in recent years...I'm not sure why. But the percussion indeed seems to have been recorded separately, since there are multiple instances of the percussion being dialed out.

They used the percussion (and piano) track of "Rolling with Grievous" for the Fuel Chamber Escape deleted scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure if this had been posted but its an AMAZING read:

http://www.starwars.com/media/general/moswros_thefinalchapter.pdf

Day 1: Wednesday, February 2, 2005

6M3 Padmé’s Visit (reel 6, cue 3 for that reel)

1M7 The Death of Dooku

6M4 Heroes Collide

4M3 Palpatine’s Seduction

Day 2: Thursday, February 3, 2005

6M9 Revenge of the Sith

Revenge of the Sith DVD Version

3M5 Good-Bye, Old Friend

2M5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine

5M7 Anakin’s Dark Deeds

2M3 Another Happy Landing

6M6 Yoda Falls

5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin

4M1x Drawing Swords

Day 3: Monday, February 7, 2005

5M3 Lament

7M3 The Birth of the Twins

7M4 The Death of Padmé

7M6 Padmé’s Funeral

3M2a Palpatine’s TV Set

1M4a Get ’em, R-2!

7M7 A Home for the Twins

Day 4: Tuesday, February 8, 2005

6M7 The Boys Continue

7M2 Anakin Crawling

4M4a Fighting with Grievous

7M5 Plans for the Twins

4M5a Padmé’s Ruminations

7M1 The Immolation Scene

4M1a Good Guys Arrive

Day 5: Wednesday, February 9, 2005

2M1 [no title]

5M4 Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell

5M6 Moving Things Along

3M3 Palpatine’s Big Pitch

Day 6: Saturday, February 12, 2005

1M3 Boys into Battle

2M6 Scenes and Dreams

3M7 Riding the Lizard

6M2 A Moody Trip

6M8 Rev. Yoda to Exile

3M8 Obi-Wan Fares [sic] Droids

5M5 News of the Attack

Day 7: Sunday, February 13, 2005

3M6 Going to Utapau

4M4 Rolling with Grievous

3M2 Hold Me

2M7 Be Careful of Your Friend

Day 8: Monday, February 14, 2005

1M4 They’re Coming Around

3M1 Council Meeting

4M6 I Am the Senate

1M6 Count Dooku’s Entrance

5M3a Bail’s Escape

Day 9: Thursday, February 17, 2005

1M5 The Elevator Scene

6M1 It Can’t Be

7M8 End Credits

4M5 Dialogue with Mace

Not Assigned

2M4 Revisiting Padmé

6M5 **Choir Only**callout 009

Note: The Star Wars theme will not be re-recorded; a preexisting version will be used for Revenge of the Sith.

Additional days 10 and 11 are scheduled for February 18 and

19, if needed.

"...and George says that even Francis Ford Coppola, who is usually not enthusiastic about Star Wars, actually likes this one."

They shoulda put that quote on the poster.

How did you get the ROTS taiko drums? The front channels have this hum from the republic attack cruiser, and the rear channels sound bad.

GM I do remember that being posted a couple of years ago but it's been long since buried. Nice finding it again.

i think i posted it again a few months ago.

eveytime it reads and 'news' i dont know why we forget it existence... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm aware Williams wrote different introducing and ending sections for Revenge of the Sith, for use as the Battle of the Heroes concert suite, but I was unaware that the actual piece itself was modified. So because of these modifications, the Battle of the Heroes motifs in the cues that preceeded it - Heroes Collide and Boys Continue - were changed? Were these changes made pre-recording or post-recording?

I'm talking of the final intro and ending to Battle of the Heroes, as heard on the album. Williams allegedly wrote a different intro for the film version, and of course, we know that it had a different ending (as heard in the End Credits suite).

Is it possible that the End Credits Suite has a rendition of the original opening after Leia's theme, or was that another revised bit?

I'm aware Williams wrote different introducing and ending sections for Revenge of the Sith, for use as the Battle of the Heroes concert suite, but I was unaware that the actual piece itself was modified. So because of these modifications, the Battle of the Heroes motifs in the cues that preceeded it - Heroes Collide and Boys Continue - were changed? Were these changes made pre-recording or post-recording?

That's correct - the melody itself was altered slightly, apparently before any recordings were done. The original version was retained in some places as a variation on the theme (e.g., the very first horn statement of the theme in the final version of the concert suite).

There seems to be some confusion about the intro, too. The cue "Revenge of Sith" (remember, there's no "the" in the cue title) was written for use in the film, and it starts exactly as heard in the film, with the buildup before the first big choral statement of the theme. It also ends as heard in the film. Then Williams also wrote "Revenge of Sith (DVD Version)", which was largely identical, but featured an extended intro and a coda at the end. At some point, the intro was rewritten; the original version was similar but a little longer, and the melody was rather different. I believe the coda wasn't rewritten. Anyway, the DVD version with the coda, the rewritten intro, and the revisions to the melody throughout the piece was released as the track "Battle of the Heroes."

As for the credits, I think they just reused the same recording of "Revenge of Sith", since that part of the credits was written to be completely identical to that cue.

so it is not like JP theme?

BOTH concert version being the film cue recording with added intro and coda?

I'm sorry ggtcuk, i understood you as is there had been written several versions of the intro and coda. my mistake.

That's okay, I think I confused myself there too.

Are the taiko drums mixed into the album version of Boys Into battle? At first, I thought not, but I turned the volume up really loud and I could swear I heard traces of them hidden in there.

It's not entirely clear, Luke. IIRC, they seem to have used the same recording of "Revenge of Sith" for the DVD version, too, but I can't check right now.

But yeah, there definitely was another version of the intro. It probably wasn't ever recorded.

Are the taiko drums mixed into the album version of Boys Into battle? At first, I thought not, but I turned the volume up really loud and I could swear I heard traces of them hidden in there.

we have been discussing this form the very beggining XD

it's proof that the taikos were intended to be there.

Maybe the OST have smaller drums to give tempo and/or know exactly where to mix the 'sepparately-recorded-film-version-taikos'

or its just the echo of the drums, and they were recorded in a sepparate booth and dialed out, like in giacchino's scores.

the fanfare also has its drums? not the rithm, though

They play up untill the force theme appears, like i said before. But originally the rythm they played was a bit different.

the fanfare also has its drums? not the rithm, though