Favourite Williams c.d. of 2002

King Mark

favourite Wlliams c.d. of 2002.  

55 members have voted

1. 1.

• American Journey(Call of the Champions)
    • Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Minority Report
    • Harry Potter anfd the Chamber of Secrets
    • Catch Me if you Can
    • The Fury (Deluxe Ed.)
    • Home Alone 2(Deluxe Ed)
    • E.T. 20th aniverary release

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Original releases:

Attack of the Clones

Minority Report

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Catch Me if you Can

(Hmm... in order of release... how odd...)

Deluxe Editions:

The Fury (Deluxe Ed.)

Home Alone 2(Deluxe Ed)

(Close to a tie)

Overall:

The Fury (Deluxe Ed.)

Home Alone 2(Deluxe Ed)

Attack of the Clones

Minority Report

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Catch Me if you Can

American Journey(Call of the Champions)

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

(I don't care as much for re-recordings, concert works, and compilation albums with one or two new tracks, so they almost always grade lower in my book.)

It came down to MR or COS, and I had to go with MR, simply to give it the credit it disereves.

COS has the best themes, but I felt the rest of the score didn't work all that well. MR gave me what I expected through out, and much more.

Attack of the Clones for me, with COS a close second. Minority Report was also very good, but not as good as those other 2. I haven't heard the whole CMIYC cd yet.

Romão, who thinks 2002 was a great year for John Williams.

This is hard...

Well American Journey(Call of the Champions), Attack of the Clones and I guess ET are high on the list. With MR, Yo-Yo Ma and Home Alone 2 runners up.

I haven't heard CMIYC yet (February...), but it's very unlikely that it's going to beat The Fury. :) Second favourite would probably be COS, but American Journey and AOTC are high on the list as well.

:) On the Beach (Christopher Gordon)

Chamber of Secrets got my vote, but I haven't bought CMIYC yet, and I already know I will love it from the snippets I have heard.

ET is the best of the list KM compiled but since it is 20year old music, and nothing in the Fury is new either its 24 year old music, I never considered those.

but I haven't bought CMIYC yet, and I already know I will love it from the snippets I have heard.

I know that :)

I think the E.T. c.d. still has the best contents,but as far as the c.d. itself is concerned,after 3 releases it's still missing unreleased stuff and some cues I wanted on the same c.d.It's a bit redundant with the 96 release.

I chose HPCoS,simply because I listen to it a lot,this score also has some of the more interesting music and themes in recent years,better overall than PS.It also had re-recorded music from the PS score which I liked.

American Journey is second,it had a lot of stuff which I wanted for a while,but I would have liked more fanfares that aren't another c.d. like Esplanade Overture,,Variation on Happy Birthday instead of Summon the Heroes,the NBC theme and Hymn to New England

I like some of the music on CMIYC,but the second half of the album ain't very interesting.

The Fury is good,except listening to the first c.d. is more of a curiosity.

Yo-Yo c.d.I mainly really like one cue,the Elegy.

Don't have HA 2...yet :angry:

K.M.

K.M.

Well it was hard to pick because all of the albums listed have their moments but anytime a Star Wars score is released it takes priority over any other Williams score. So I went with AOTC.

American Journey(Call of the Champions)

14% [ 5 ]

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

2% [ 1 ]

Attack of the Clones

25% [ 9 ]

Minority Report

5% [ 2 ]

Harry Potter anfd the Chamber of Secrets

34% [ 12 ]

Catch Me if you Can

2% [ 1 ]

The Fury (Deluxe Ed.)

8% [ 3 ]

Home Alone 2(Deluxe Ed)

5% [ 2 ]

E.T. 20th aniverary release

0% [ 0 ]

The Fury, AOTC, E.T. and HA2 defeated by HP:COS? :wow: :)

The Fury, AOTC, E.T. and HA2 defeated by HP:COS?  :wow:  :)

Interesting,and E.T. got no vote yet... :?

K.M.Going Christmas shooping.see ya all a bit later.

I want to change my vote.

Catch Me If You Can is my choice as the best of 2002.

Without a doubt this is an unbelievable great score. I can only imagine how it will work in the movie, but I already know how it works in my heart and in my head.

WOW.

I want to change my vote.

Catch Me If You Can is my choice as the best of 2002.

Without a doubt this is an unbelievable great score.  I can only imagine how it will work in the movie, but I already know how it works in my heart and in my head.

WOW.

i'd also like to change my vote. the more i listen to catch me, the more i love it. i think it is an outstanding musical achievement.

Ted

CoS isn't by default for me,i like it a lot.I don't think it's as good overall as some past scores,but some tracks are surely among his best ever.To me,"The Lost World" won by default in 1997.

K.M.

"Call of the Champions" and Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams are John Williams's saving graces of 2002.

The 20th anniversary release of E.T.'s soundtrack was crap, but I bought it anyway 'cause I love E.T. so much.

As for his actual film compositions, this year's crop is his worst since his first two 1990 scores, although each score has a few precious highlights.

- Alan, who shudders at the realization that Chamber of Secrets is probably a good preview of Indy 4. In other words...formulaic, hackneyed action music galore...

ET could have had more tracks, but the improved quality made up for that.  :music:

i don't agree,a lot of the short comings of the 96 release are still there.

K.M.

Minority Report is my second favorite Williams score of the year, but it is my favorite CD of the year. A much more enjoyable listen from start to finish. Listening to "Spyders," "Eye-Dentiscan," "Sean's Theme" and "Pre-Crime" cement this vote for me.

I've heard the score to Catch Me If You Can in the film and on CD. It just doesn't present the same feelings for me on disc that it did in theaters. This is a fantastic score, but one that doesn't translate well onto CD.

Guys... the question is "FAVORITE CD RELEASE of 2002"... Not "best score of the year". There is a difference. That's a different poll entirely!

I simply cannot believe that people are voting for CMIYC, HP:COS, Minority Report over the expanded editions of The Fury, E.T., and Home Alone 2, all far superior scores IMO. Although I love AOTC, I think those expanded scores also trump AOTC as well.

Again, I'm not bashing the scores of 2002... I'm just saying... "better than The Fury & E.T.????" :)

And BTW... since we are talking CD releases of 2002, what... are people forgetting about The Man Who Loved Catdancing on this list? (I forgot it too... :))

Guys... the question is "FAVORITE CD RELEASE of 2002"... Not "best score of the year". There is a difference. That's a different poll entirely!

I simply cannot believe that people are voting for CMIYC, HP:COS, Minority Report over the expanded editions of The Fury, E.T., and Home Alone 2, all far superior scores IMO. Although I love AOTC, I think those expanded scores also trump AOTC as well.

Again, I'm not bashing the scores of 2002... I'm just saying... "better than The Fury & E.T.????"  :)  

And BTW... since we are talking CD releases of 2002, what... are people forgetting about The Man Who Loved Catdancing on this list? (I forgot it too... :))

Chris you appropriately point out this is a favorite score of 2002, which asks a personal question, then you go on to bash because people voted for something because as you put it

"better than The Fury & E.T.????"
. You cannot have it both ways.

Now if the question was best then I would try to be objective and say E.T. but I still don't consider it, the Fury, or Home Alone 2 in consideration to the others, they had their era for these type questions. But on another note yes I think CMIYC and COS are better scores than the Fury, and Home Alone 2(which I think is superior to the Fury). I don't care what music is on those expanded discs, I have seen the films and I prefer the COS score to either film, and as heard on the disc I think CMIYC is Johnny's best in a long long time. And CMIYC is my favorite as well.