What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Quint, for how much approximately would you be able to assemble a state of the art gaming rig today? Just curious.

State of the art? You'd be looking at at least 900 GBP. Mid-range next gen console beater? Nearly half that.

Oh I'll always prefer console gaming just out of comfort and sheer ease of use, but I also like to dabble with indie releases on PC and sometimes I just want to play my most anticipated games looking and running the very best they can, which usually requires a decent gaming rig.

One more feature where the PS4 wins big points: it's standby mode. Works like a dream.

I remember the last time (I think it was 2014) when I used Standby on Windows 7, resulting in a faulty shutdown, corrupting my boot record (I have two OS'es), and spending many hours to reinstall everything from one OS (luckily the smallest and least used). My Windows 7 partition was mostly untouched.

But it seriously freaked me out and I grew some grey hairs. Never again I tell you.

I do too (mainly for Halo), but it's no match for Sony's machine. M$ couldn't even put a rechargeable controller in the box? :nono:

Yeah there's a lot of stuff on Microsoft's console that just doesn't make intuitive sense. It's making me appreciate Sony's even more, but Sunset Overdrive kicks ass. Not sure why Insomniac branched away from Sony, this game would have sold much better on the PS4.

Any techie's out there that know about PSU voltages? I'm looking at you Quint. :)

I'm beginning to think my Power Supply Unit is the one causing all the crashes lately.

If you look at the -12V number, isn't that too low? Could that cause the crashing in games (even after a couple of minutes)?

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 1.17 Volts [0x49] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 2 3.34 Volts [0xD1] (+3.3V)
Voltage 4 12.67 Volts [0xC6] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -6.21 Volts [0x61] (-12V)
Voltage 8 3.34 Volts [0xD1] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 41°C (105°F) [0x29] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 36°C (96°F) [0x24] (TMPIN1)

Not me, I've started it twice (about 10 years apart) and lost interest twice. Something about KOTOR II doesn't sit right with me. Besides the concept has become too slow-paced for me.

Any techie's out there that know about PSU voltages? I'm looking at you Quint. :)

I'm beginning to think my Power Supply Unit is the one causing all the crashes lately.

If you look at the -12V number, isn't that too low? Could that cause the crashing in games (even after a couple of minutes)?

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 1.17 Volts [0x49] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 2 3.34 Volts [0xD1] (+3.3V)
Voltage 4 12.67 Volts [0xC6] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -6.21 Volts [0x61] (-12V)
Voltage 8 3.34 Volts [0xD1] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 41°C (105°F) [0x29] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 36°C (96°F) [0x24] (TMPIN1)

Hey dude, I'll help you out... I'm no techie so don't hold this against me. ;) That -12V is used for diddly squat, so you actually don't seem to have a problem with the PSU, as it's the +12V rail that powers the graphics card. Well that's what I understood from googling a bit.

Maybe you should revert to older drivers. You can never tell with this crap PC hardware and different possible configurations. Something always messes itself up, and you can never tell when it ocurred or what it messed up. :(

Yeah PC gaming blows, pretty much for this reason alone. It's very frustrating to just keep on your toes and pray your current config will hold out, without screwing everything up due to some unforeseen installation or upgrade. I feel your pain, and good luck. :wave:

Hey, sorry I missed your original post. Is your PSU an 80+? How's your cooling? Run your system with its side panel removed and see if it still crashes when it's busy with tasks.

:up:

Haha no worries, thought I'd help a fellow PC nut (me) a bit in that area.

Temps are good, I don't overclock, and I use stock fans, but what I always see happening (I use MSI Afterburner) is there's a 99% or 100% spike of the GPU usage at which point there's a crash to desktop. Every time. It does this whether the side panel is removed or not.

I tried it with Metro: Last Light and Thief recently. Even at lower detail the crash occurs after a short time.

I'm going to try out the old driver installation routine. But I'll have to look into which one would be the most stable one.

Well I'm in luck. I installed some older Nvidia drivers (344.11), and guess what I was able to play Thief at high settings for half an hour. I was expecting a crash to happen but my system remained stable. I'll have to check how a longer session of 1 hour goes, but at least I seem to have isolated the problem. Well that's the last time I have installed drivers. If it ain't broken, don't fix it is good advice. :rolleyes:

Journey cross-platform has just been released on Sony's store. So if you bought the PS3 version you can now get the PS4 upgrade free of charge.

I've been meaning to play this gem. And hear that music. For the 4th time. :up:

Well I'm in luck. I installed some older Nvidia drivers (344.11), and guess what I was able to play Thief at high settings for half an hour. I was expecting a crash to happen but my system remained stable. I'll have to check how a longer session of 1 hour goes, but at least I seem to have isolated the problem. Well that's the last time I have installed drivers. If it ain't broken, don't fix it is good advice. :rolleyes:

Sounds like PC gaming is as fun as ever

:bash: <-- Me handling my computer with a blunt instrument, someday soon. :angry:

Today I found out it reverting to an older driver from 2014 didn't solve the crashing at all, but rather I had to underclock my video card a little, so that it wouldn't overheat and now I can get more or less stable conditions while playing Thief, which earlier made my PC crash after 5 minutes.

I also learned that my PSU was bought in 2007... Maybe it's time put it out to pasture.

When my rig works, I can be entertained somewhat. The other times I just shut it down and start up my PS4 or Xbone. They rarely crash, if ever. :)

That poster suggests an incredibly gory and violent action game. First thing I noticed: there's blood all over that chick. :eek:

Consider it ordered already. :rock: (sorry BB)

<---- :up::up::up:

From what I understand it's related to a fanmade mod that added a significant part to KOTOR 2, because I've read many complaints about it being incomplete and lacking in narrative structure (basically why I lost interest too). Apparantly the mod devs are in contact with the game's devs and they want to make it the definitive KOTOR 2. KOTOR 1 already has a stellar plot (I completed it back in the day).

Imagine that bomb scaring some poor joe shmoe in the year 2156, thinking its a live one when he finds it hidden in the dirt somewhere after a nuclear war has destroyed most of our planet.

Thanks to Games with Gold on Xbox I've been enjoying Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. First on X360, a month later it appeared for the Xbone, so I started the game again in superior graphics (I had only just completed Havana, the first city on the previous console). This is also the third time I've started with an AC game, but I've only completed the very first.

The whole seafaring and combat is really something else. So awesome to travel to some faraway island with the wind set firmly in the sails, having to fight enemy vessels, destroying them, boarding them, killing the crew (or making them surrender) and claiming their content as my own. It's surprisingly organic and fluid how all these different mechanics work together. The graphics really make me feel like I'm there in the Pacific Ocean, doing piratey things. The world is absolutely huge and I'll be playing this game for weeks to come, especially because OCD has ordered me to collect everything and everywhere. It's a Ubisoft title, so there's way too much to collect. But that won't hold me back.

Also, taking over an enemy fort, first with your ship's cannons from afar, then by storming the fort on foot and killing its soldiers and commander... gaming excellence. :drool:

Quite honestly I'm surprised by how much I would enjoy this game. If it wasn't free, I don't think I would've gone and bought it though.

I thought Black Flag was amazing at first as well, but unfortunately the repetitive mission structure and icon bloat made me grow bored of the game. It was a shame, because the seafaring and the world they'd built were indeed pretty fantastic.

Havana is in the Pacific Ocean? ;)

Ok, wherever the hell the game takes place. Help me out here, I have poor geography localisation awareness skills. :blush:

The Carribean?

Titanfall is a great little shooter where they eventually gave away all the DLC maps for free because nobody was playing the game after they'd unlocked the everything found in the very short progression system. I maxed out my character in under a week of fairly casual play at the time. I keep meaning to boot it up on my PC and have a look at the newer maps, because it's definitely a fun game while it's fresh.

Anyone playing Dying Light? How do you find the difficulty? I'm only 15% in the campaign (with ten or so side quests) but this game is kicking my butt... HARD. There's no fear of having to die and doing long stretches over and over as you always revive at an unlocked safe house, but you still need to make your way back to restart the quest. And these undead sure do pack one serious punch. Forget Resident Evil, George Romero type zombies. Even those in The Walking Dead seem like pushovers. No these are zombies on crack and they make my life a living hell (pun intended). It's like the game keeps upping the ante as you level up, but your abilities don't match the challenges that you have to overcome. Sometimes they come at you in packs of ten, and then it's either run or be dead in a microsecond. But then you run and get stuck on something or some obstacle blocks your escape and it's game over. I've died at least 50 times already, on normal difficulty, about 10 hours in. You do the math.

It's a fantastic and riveting game, the concept and design is spot on, the gameplay is tense and full of action, exploring and rewards, but man I didn't expect it to be so tough. Try to stay alive during the night, I dare you !

Titanfall is a great little shooter where they eventually gave away all the DLC maps for free because nobody was playing the game after they'd unlocked the everything found in the very short progression system. I maxed out my character in under a week of fairly casual play at the time. I keep meaning to boot it up on my PC and have a look at the newer maps, because it's definitely a fun game while it's fresh.

I've only played it for a couple hours but I easily fell into my old COD routine. I like how it feels a bit barebones, reminds me of the first Modern Warfare. I can only imagine how much more fun it would be with a full party of friends and booming servers, but at $18 plus free DLC as you mentioned, I'm not complaining.

Anyone playing Dying Light? How do you find the difficulty? I'm only 15% in the campaign (with ten or so side quests) but this game is kicking my butt... HARD. There's no fear of having to die and doing long stretches over and over as you always revive at an unlocked safe house, but you still need to make your way back to restart the quest. And these undead sure do pack one serious punch. Forget Resident Evil, George Romero type zombies. Even those in The Walking Dead seem like pushovers. No these are zombies on crack and they make my life a living hell (pun intended). It's like the game keeps upping the ante as you level up, but your abilities don't match the challenges that you have to overcome. Sometimes they come at you in packs of ten, and then it's either run or be dead in a microsecond. But then you run and get stuck on something or some obstacle blocks your escape and it's game over. I've died at least 50 times already, on normal difficulty, about 10 hours in. You do the math.

It's a fantastic and riveting game, the concept and design is spot on, the gameplay is tense and full of action, exploring and rewards, but man I didn't expect it to be so tough. Try to stay alive during the night, I dare you !

I played it for a few hours but fell out of it. These open world zombie games annoy my OCD because you're not meant to fight every single enemy, just run away. To me, it isn't really fun to be constantly sprinting from hordes of zombies, especially when the parkour mechanics are a bit wonky. Apparently I didn't understand them properly, because after I had stopped playing a friend told me you have to aim exactly at where you want to grab, even when it might not make sense for your character's position. Anyway, after the night time cycles started and I played the first mission, I kept it day time all the time. I literally could not see anything in the dark and turning on your flashlight means death, so I just turned it on and bolted for the nearest safe house instead of trying to sneak around and not get caught.

Stealth is key at night, you cannot just go anywhere and expect to be safe, because you never are, but there is a craftable item that makes your vision much brighter. Also there are missions you need to complete at night. Stocking up on defense items (weapons don't do jack) is necessary.

If it wasn't for the difficulty I'd be saying this was one of the best games I've played in recent years.

Journey on PS4: taking my breath away, again. Early reports said that the current version was graphically inferior to the PS3 version released years ago.

Having gone through it completely I can safely say these reports are false. It's the definitive version of Journey and well worth taking again if you already owned the one for PS3.

What a game, so simple in design, but a beautifully crafted piece of art when you let its magic work on you for an hour and a half.