What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

MOHAA was probably my favorite game ever for multiplayer. I'm not even a gamer, and that game had me sitting at the computer for hours at a time. I once spent something like 10 hours running around the Destroyed Village with a shotgun. By the end I was exhausted, delusional, and extremely satisfied with myself.

2010's MOH actually brought a great level of "authenticity" to the modern military shooter. For one, it was set in Afghanistan rather than a nameless waring country, and Danger Close actually got real life Tier 1 soldiers to supervise the development for accuracy. So much so that a few of them actually got discharged for leaking military information. It wasn't fantastic, and ultimately fell into the same impossible one man army game tropes, but its sound design and graphics were a step up from the COD counterparts. The follow-up, MOH Warfighter, was a huge improvement. Djawadi's scores for both games are good. It's unfortunate EA shut them down and killed the franchise for good, because I would love a true next gen MOH experience. Same goes for Criterion and the Burnout franchise. Fuck you, EA!

European Assault was pretty good, but it lacked that cinematic level design that the first three games had in spades, which is why I prefer Rising Sun. Also, the latter's multiplayer was fantastic.

Anyway, I've just finished Until Dawn. A completely different experience than I expected, but it was all the better for it. First half starts off as the B-movie horror flick it was advertised as, and from there things slowly twist and turn into something much more fantastical. Sort of creeps up on you like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. One of my major issues was its lack of challenging QTEs. It was probably 80% walking around dark corridors with a flashlight, and 20% actual QTE gameplay. Even then I never failed a prompt, except for the "Don't move!" parts which require you to hold the controller absolutely still. Heavy Rain, on the other hand, had some tricky moments that amped up the tension and thrills. Still a fun game worth checking out if the style is your kind of thing.

Yeah I remember 2012's MoH campaign getting slated in the reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it, the Afghanistan setting was superb, particularly when you were up high in the mountains. I completed it, which is something I very rarely do when it comes to FPS games.

Danger Close actually got real life Tier 1 soldiers to supervise the development for accuracy. So much so that a few of them actually got discharged for leaking military information

I didn't buy into all that though. To me the game felt about as similarly "authentic" as all of the other modern military shooters available, and with all the macho clichés found in them.

I agree, which is why I said:

2010's MOH actually brought a great level of "authenticity" to the modern military shooter. For one, it was set in Afghanistan rather than a nameless waring country, and Danger Close actually got real life Tier 1 soldiers to supervise the development for accuracy. So much so that a few of them actually got discharged for leaking military information. It wasn't fantastic, and ultimately fell into the same impossible one man army game tropes, but its sound design and graphics were a step up from the COD counterparts. The follow-up, MOH Warfighter, was a huge improvement. Djawadi's scores for both games are good. It's unfortunate EA shut them down and killed the franchise for good, because I would love a true next gen MOH experience. Same goes for Criterion and the Burnout franchise. Fuck you, EA!

;) The mountain range missions were indeed superb, with the sun blaring in your face, making you unable to distinguish the enemy soldiers perched along the peak.

Anyway, I've just finished Until Dawn. A completely different experience than I expected, but it was all the better for it. First half starts off as the B-movie horror flick it was advertised as, and from there things slowly twist and turn into something much more fantastical. Sort of creeps up on you like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. One of my major issues was its lack of challenging QTEs. It was probably 80% walking around dark corridors with a flashlight, and 20% actual QTE gameplay. Even then I never failed a prompt, except for the "Don't move!" parts which require you to hold the controller absolutely still. Heavy Rain, on the other hand, had some tricky moments that amped up the tension and thrills. Still a fun game worth checking out if the style is your kind of thing.

It's only 6 hours long from what I've read? And how's the replay value?

Anyway I've seen some footage and it's definitely something I'm interested in. Heavy Rain / Beyond: Two Souls type of gameplay meets Cabin in the Woods setting and story.

I have really fond memories of Allied Assault, I loved playing that game. The ending was a serious let-down, though.

My favorite mission was the one you had to disguise yourself and infliltrate the enemy base and put a goddamn bomb on a submarine. Love that kind of gameplay.

It's only 6 hours long from what I've read? And how's the replay value?

Anyway I've seen some footage and it's definitely something I'm interested in. Heavy Rain / Beyond: Two Souls type of gameplay meets Cabin in the Woods setting and story.

It's about 8-10 hours depending on how thorough you are searching for the clues. There are a ton of them and finding them can actually shape your story since they give the characters information about the mystery. I played through the second half of the game a second time to clean up some trophies, and as I made different decisions some of the flaws in the writing were exposed. For instance, a certain character died, but was still referenced to later on as if he/she was living. Weird stuff like that. It appears the developer had an idea of how you should play instead of fully fleshing out all the ways the gamer might want to play. Quantic Dream is flawless in that regard.

As I said though, I still enjoyed it very much, and the art direction and design is top notch. Pretty game to look at. Environments are nicely detailed.

OK I'll have to play that some time or another, sounds like my thing, twisty-turny cinematic storytelling.

I have really fond memories of Allied Assault, I loved playing that game. The ending was a serious let-down, though.

My favorite mission was the one you had to disguise yourself and infliltrate the enemy base and put a goddamn bomb on a submarine. Love that kind of gameplay.

From what you wrote I can tell you are more into stealth games right?

Have you ever played the Thief games? Those are classics in the stealth genre. I keep revisiting them every couple of years.

I'm actually getting through the latest one right now.

It's okay, I'm enjoying, it's not like the old PC titles, which are masterpieces of atmosphere and open-ended level design. Absolute milestones (if you like the genre).

But I really like what they've done with the city in Thief 4, how it's presented visually, how it's laid out, all the hidden loot to find, and the many paths you can use.

Gameplay isn't as strong, but it's definitely not bad. I'm not getting frustrated or bored, so it's doing something right.

Dishonored is great, agreed! That brought the Thief atmosphere back and as a player you had the option to go in stealth or guns blazing.

My biggest gripe was the lack of mission select and an accurate world map. So I had to roam around the convoluted city trying to find the next waypoint, often getting lost and going in the wrong direction and having to double back. All the while taking 30 seconds to open a window and waiting for different areas of the city to load. It was a nightmare!

It's great we've reached the point where game developers rule out 360 and PS3 when trying to make "next-generation" games look good. Concentrating on only PS4 and XBONE allows that.

And Steam, of course. Video cards are cheaper than ever.

I was hoping that, after a few months, they would release it for PS3 or 360 after all, satisfying millions of customers. Buying yet another console seems a bit crazy.

That's the market system of the console mentality. When the technology is too old to make the games they want to make, the old systems eventually get left in the dust. It sucks the new ones are so expensive and still just as not upgradeable.

Maybe they patched that stuff much later on. DreamTheater, what build is the game currently on?

Playing it through steam, latest patch v1.7 build 4158.21

Don't know how it was before, but the loading times are pretty short anyway. I do have serious framerate drops when entering the main part of the city (the one with the clock tower), but it's okay after 10-15 seconds.

This was even worse when using an SATA hard drive, now I've upgraded to an SSD, but my rig itself is already a couple years old, and I still have 4 gig RAM.

I do like that that there's no big arrow pointing the way, just a marker that shows the direction and distance. So I still have to backtrack sometimes, but it's hardly the stuff of nightmares.

It's been nearly ten years. You're going to have to get a new console eventually if you want to play new games.

This. Considering games are $60 a piece, $400 for a new console isn't a lot. It's the perfect price, actually, for an 8-10 year investment.

It'll be for Fallout 4 at first but eventually its sequel and the next Elder Scrolls too.

The previous generation saw three similar installments of the Bethesda RPGs. Oblivion, FO3/FNV (cosmetically different but functionality the same), and Skyrim. Squeezing the next installment onto the same hardware wouldn't be a step forward. It'd be stagnation like FNV was.

8.78 Mb? That only takes 7 floppies of 1.44 Mb each. 6 if they manage to compress it further.

Konami has always been awful to PC owners. Why not include the necessary installation files on multiple DVDs, or a blu-ray edition for the people who have a blu-ray drive in their PC. Costs too much probably.

Anyway I'm getting this on PS4, MGS plays best on the Sony machine.

I bought MGS2 for the PC once, what an absolutele shit port that was, practically unplayable.

That was a joke, I just saw the file size and immediately thought of the MS-DOS days.

Why put in a disc, when they could've just put in a flyer with the instructions to setup steam and a download code. Way more cost-effective.

But then the case would've felt empty to anyone buying it.

I hate to buy a physical DVD. And then somehow it downloads the whole game from steam instead.

Even if the DVD has the full install files...

Happenend me once or twice...

I bought the Mass Effect trilogy and there was a serious problem with each first disc (manufacturing problem), it took ages to install the files, because of many read errors. I ended up having to download the games. In other words I should've bought it digitally, would've been cheaper too.

That's my point. If you buy a game on physical media, you should be able to play your purchase without an internet connection.

I guess companies are moving away from physical media the same way the music industry is. The difference is downloading an 25 gig video game takes a lot longer than a 50meg album....

Might have been Diablo II.

Well the Internet connection used to be only for the DRM. The first Steam game Half Life 2 was on CDs but it took me a month over dialup to make it playable by the time it downloaded all the updates to get to the point where Steam would allow me to play in offline mode. Almost eleven years later, even if a game has a physical disc, they still force you to log in to check the DRM to prove you didn't pirate the game. The updates can made optional if you want to and if you never want to play online.

I guess it would be nice if GOG and Steam offered physical only options for folks who had limited data or bandwidth, and couldn't take their laptop to Panera or McDonald's to download the files. But I think it would impact their bottom line.

Yeah, games are huge

That's my point. If you buy a game on physical media, you should be able to play your purchase without an internet connection.

I guess companies are moving away from physical media the same way the music industry is. The difference is downloading an 25 gig video game takes a lot longer than a 50meg album....

Yeah, games are huge nowadays.

When you insert a disc for the first time, it'll automatically start the install. This takes about a minute or two. Then there's usually an update file that will start to download automatically, and that takes a few minutes depending on how many GBs it is.

Ethernet ftw!

The way Sony set up the installation system is pretty sweet. If you insert the disc you have to wait a very short time for the game to install the initial files, once that's done and you get access to the game's menu and start the beginning of the game, the PS4 installs the rest of the disc onto the hard drive. On the PC it's waiting for the installation to reach 100 %. On the PS4 you can start gaming at something like 15 %. Fantastic idea for this console (one of many).

Not sure if it's like that for the Xbone... my experience is you still need to wait for the installation to come to an end, but I could be wrong. I've only installed Halo MCC this way.

Is that how the PS4 does it? I remember that being a selling point before the console's launch, but only ever saw it advertised for digital games. Killzone: Shadow Fall, for example, would let you download multiplayer first and jump in while the campaign still downloaded. Perhaps it just does it in the background, but when it tells me "Game has been installed" the download progress bar is gone. Now most digital games are pre-load supported, so you can have everything downloaded before the game releases.

Xbox One, on the other hand, takes forever to install games. But like what you were saying, you can boot up the disc and start playing after a certain portion has been downloaded. It'll say "15% downloaded. Ready to start."

Getting excited for MGS: The Phantom Pain now. It's getting rave reviews, it's supposed to be the final hurrah for Kojima and Snake and I cannot wait to dive into it. Later this week, most likely.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is a dream game. It's the kind of game that, in 1987, the young designer of the 8-bit Metal Gear may have dreamed would one day be possible. It's the kind of game that players like me dream of: an enormous and deep and seemingly endless experience that's worth the investment and then some. It's the kind of game where every hand-polished element slots together into a head-spinningly ambitious structure and they combine into something you can only call visionary.

Source: Eurogamer review