What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Just killed Skolas and got a bitchin' shader.

Forgot to talk to you about this at the time. Did you complete your Moments of Triumph then? I did, but I still haven't gotten around to completing another Prison of Elders so I can get the first stage of the Cipher bounty started.

Yeah I've been slowly working on the Cipher, I think I've got like 200 out of 1000 or whatever. It'll be slow going since I don't have much time for it lately and the people I play with have schedules that only align at certain points. I'm not all that excited for the weapon, I picked the sidearm thingy. I'd rather have a new helmet or something. For that, Osiris would be useful, but every time we try we get royally rocked (though there are usually some slick heroics to be proud of). Seems like those lobbies are populated by folks who do nothing but play Osiris. That ain't fun.

PvP is a blast, even when I start to rage. And thanks to the inclusion of people from around the world it feels a little less like time absurdly wasted, which is a problem I usually have when I play games.

Trials of Osiris and Destiny PvP in general will be much more enjoyable when fucking Thorn isn't the dominant gun, after the upcoming weapons rebalance pass. I own it but even I don't spam that annoying green shit.

Trials of Osiris and Destiny PvP in general will be much more enjoyable when fucking Thorn isn't the dominant gun, after the upcoming weapons rebalance pass. I own it but even I don't spam that annoying green shit.

A-fucking-men.

I hope the storyline will be more interesting than Halo 4's, because I thought that was the only weak point.

I've played it three times and I still get don't get it, apart from the MC-Cortana dynamic.

Finished Batman and now I'm playing Dying Light. It's very good so far. The parkour is solid, but what a shame they didn't include Dead Island's brutally satisfying melee controls for the combat. But the place itself is brilliantly realised, so here's hoping I really get into it.

Btw Arkham Knight was in the end very enjoyable; even if it was the weakest of the series. The ending was messily done but interesting. Nobody makes open world games quite like Rocksteady, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Finished Batman and now I'm playing Dying Light. It's very good so far. The parkour is solid, but what a shame they didn't include Dead Island's brutally satisfying melee controls for the combat. But the place itself is brilliantly realised, so here's hoping I really get into it.

Btw Arkham Knight was in the end very enjoyable; even if it was the weakest of the series. The ending was messily done but interesting. Nobody makes open world games quite like Rocksteady, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Did you see the full ending? It doesn't unlock until after you've 100% the game, which is ridiculous in my opinion, but hey there's YouTube.

I need to get back into Dying Light but I doubt I'll have the time. One day!

Dying Light is pretty huge (in terms of quests). It's one of those games where I'm always getting sidetracked from the story missions. There's also a whole bunch of fetch quests that take some time to complete. I've barely played the campaign. Also the difficulty ramps up big time at nighttime. To the point of frustration. Those volatiles will get on your nerves Quint.

Still I enjoy it, in short sessions. Zombies, man ! They're awesome... And standby mode is my friend. :)

I don't just have time for video games these days. Maybe after the honeymoon

Fat chance. :nono:

If there's side quest bloat I'll now make a deliberate effort to bypass it all and knuckle down as much as possible on the main storyline. I don't really care if I miss out on a few cool blueprints or whatever else for doing so. Thanks for the useful info there.

I wish I wasn't obsessive compulsive in trying to clear the map of all those annoying side quests.

There is one I had to climb the giant bridge that's on the east side of the map, to get some rare light bulbs. I think I died about ten times trying to complete it, always restarting a good distance from it, not very fun. But it was cool when I finally got up there, as I got this amazing view up top, as well as genuine vertigo.

Hey, actual tomb raiding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31ifuSjanw

Graphics looks great, maybe I could get into modern gaming after all...

Agree about the graphics, but eh ... I wasn't a fan of that 'gritty' TR reboot game from a coupla years ago, and this looks like more of the same. Long gone are the days when you could gently chuckle at Lara's elderly flatulent butler shuffling around her mansion, I guess.

Uncharted 4 for me instead, I think.

Hey, actual tomb raiding

Agree about the graphics, but eh ... I wasn't a fan of that 'gritty' TR reboot game from a coupla years ago, and this looks like more of the same. Long gone are the days when you could gently chuckle at Lara's elderly flatulent butler shuffling around her mansion, I guess.

Funny you want to play Uncharted 4 and didn't think too highly of Tomb Raider, which was at its core an Uncharted game starring Lara Croft.

I love both. I'm also a fan of Crystal Dynamics first reimagining with Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. Granted the latest reboot wasn't a true Tomb Raider game, but an excellent action adventure nonetheless.

Hey, actual tomb raiding

Funny you want to play Uncharted 4 and didn't think too highly of Tomb Raider, which was at its core an Uncharted game starring Lara Croft.

I love both. I'm also a fan of Crystal Dynamics first reimagining with Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. Granted the latest reboot wasn't a true Tomb Raider game, but an excellent action adventure nonetheless.

Hmm, don't recall anything like the sense of fun that's in the Uncharted series being in that TR game. I do remember Lara dying in ways that seemed harshly brutal, though.

I guess you're right, TR isn't as lighthearted and tongue in cheek, but the gameplay and design is pretty much Uncharted in another environment, including some heart-stopping setpieces.

Yeah that game is Uncharted 2.1.

So I take it the two other Destiny players here picked up some Gjallarhorns last weekend?

Yep. Don't understand what the fuss was about though. I think I still prefer The Truth.

I'm trying to complete all the Moments Of Triumph before the window expires. Turns out I did most of them naturally over the months, only one I'm missing now is Prison Of Elders on hard.

Probably gonna trade in Arkham Knight against the Mad Max game next month. The thrill of getting to drive the Batmobile was quickly dispelled by the clunkiness of its combat system ... STILL can't beat those fucking drone tanks outside the film studio, and I'm fed up.

Really? It sounds like you haven't bothered to upgrade the vehicles combat systems; I quite enjoyed the bot battles once I'd strengthened the assault capabilities of the batmobile. By far the most useful upgrade was the one which allows you to remotely hijack the enemy tanks and have them switch sides.

Mad Max is very much on my radar too, I hope it's brilliant.

You probably haven't unlocked wolf pack rounds yet.

Not yet ;)

I need to beat Prison Of Elders on hard to complete my Moments Of Triumph, probably gonna need it fully upgraded to do that.

Really? It sounds like you haven't bothered to upgrade the vehicles combat systems; I quite enjoyed the bot battles once I'd strengthened the assault capabilities of the batmobile. By far the most useful upgrade was the one which allows you to remotely hijack the enemy tanks and have them switch sides.

Yeah I never had issues with the tank missions, other than their frequency.

I was looking forward to Mad Max, but watching the most recent "choose your style" trailers put me off. I appreciate them not using CGI for a trailer or whatnot, but you can see the texture pop-in right in front of you! It looks woefully last gen and stiff. I'll probably pick it up on Black Friday for $30.

Wow they are reviving the Rock Band franchise, and it will include Van Halen

http://www.avclub.com/article/now-you-can-sing-panama-better-david-lee-roth-rock-223962

Lots of good songs actually

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_4#Soundtrack

:rock:

Instant buy.

What makes this series so great for me? Well for one, Hideo Kojima being the James Cameron of the videogame industry. Each installment has been an absolute show-stopper, raising the bar in terms of technical achievement. I remember watching the MGS2 trailer and having my jaw dropped on the floor each time I saw it. And playing through them for the first time was never anything less than awesome. And I keep returning to them.

Secondly, the seriousness mixed with the slightly ridiculous, or plain weird. You either get Kojima's warped sense of humor, or it goes over your head entirely.

Also, each game is filled with secret stuff, cool power-ups and just tons of things to do a bit differently on each playthrough.

Funnily enough while I'm typing this I'm listening to the following 10 minutes of MGS4 excellence. :drool: Performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic.

I've only ever managed to get the first upgrade offered (the rockets) while playing the drone tanks training level, not within the game itself. Doesn't bode well for obtaining further ones, lol.

Just look at those screenshots... now imagine them moving in such glorious detail... This is why I bought my PS4. And why I will once again lose good chunks of my life inside this game. :yes:

The only issue that could turn out to be a big one or non-issue (I'm not exactly sure about that) is Jack Bauer as the voice of Snake. I really missed David Hayter (the one true Snake) in Ground Zeroes.

It makes zero sense, because Hayter did Big Boss in both Snake Eater and Peace Walker. And Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are the sequels to Peace Walker.

Kojima has stated that Big Boss is a different character from Solid Snake and the voice should reflect that, but he could've decided on that while making Snake Eater 10 years ago.

Oh well I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'll just be expecting to hear Chloe during codec conversations. :D

Which Medal of Honor game is the best one?

MOH: Allied Assault by a mile, because it's the only one of the WWII shooters that was made for the PC platform, so it had the best controls and graphics. Also the Omaha beach landing and takeover is brilliantly executed. And it didn't take place in the beginning of the game either like Frontline, it came much later.

Interesting... which is the best on a console, then?

Either Frontline or European Assault (which I didn't complete), but they're hardly classics, even though they were good at the time of release. A little franchise called Call of Duty wasn't world-famous yet, which would stomp all over the MOH franchise later on.

MOH Rising Sun is the best one in terms of gameplay, in my opinion. I never played Allied Assault so I can't compare.

The two reboot entries for PS3 were solid but not as special.

I hated that reboot, it had nothing to do with what MOH was about (giving the player an interactive history lesson whilst killing everybody's favorite villain, the NAZI), the score was crap, and the feel of the combat was pretty mediocre.

I forgot about MOH: Pacific Assault released 3 years after AA on PC which is the second best game in the series IMO... putting the action around Tarawa atoll islands. The major showpiece is the attack on Pearl Harbour, another fantastic recreation of that dark day in history. That game never got the recognition that Alllied Assault had, but it's a really worthy entry in the series. I have to replay it someday soon.

Yup ... the appeal/USP of the MOH franchise for me was that it was set during WW2. There are already plenty of modern-day military-combat videogame franchises, MOH moving into same doesn't appeal at all.