What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I like having a strong red thread in games, so I generally prefer the more linear ones to those where you can roam around as much as you like. Until AI becomes good enough to write its own screenplays, there's a limit to how emotionally involving you can make a game's core story if everything is completely open.

Actually that's one of the unexpected outcomes of Batman Arkham Knight. By the end, the story they told was very well done and rather fitting. When I really think about it it is quite brilliant, because THAT ending...*

*the one you only see if you wrap EVERYTHING up

I've only played most of Arkham Asylum, up until the next to last boss battle. I've played twenty minutes of City and none of the other two games. So I speak about what I know.

But the overall story of Arkham Asylum is linear. You really can't make many choices that affect the outcome. Events will still happen as they're meant to. What the player can influence is the timing. You can explore the island at your leisure and build up Batman's stats on lower level baddies and find out the secrets you can unlock based on your available tools. Or you can rush through the storyline as quickly as you want without stepping aside. That choice has no effect on the story.

I guess my point is that, these open world games largely eliminated the game clock. They don't care how much time you spend or waste between missions and encounters. And that requires a major suspension of disbelief.

Imagine if in Die Hard, once John McClane sees the thieves take the Nakatomi employees hostage, he doesn't take action immediately. He explores the entire building, collecting every piece of loose change and learning about the history of the company and often stopping to rub his toes in the carpet. All the while the thieves just pace back a forth aimlessly, waiting for John to appear before digging into the vault or killing anyone.

This is open world game logic. It rewards the player for exploring by putting the main story on pause until they're ready to return to it.

Interesting point, and it's indeed something that makes no sense from a narrative point of view. So the story only continues because the player decides it can continue. So, what are the baddies doing in the meantime, catching up sleep, party until the morning hours, playing online RPGs? No they just wait for the player to trigger the next event.

As games get bigger and more expansive in their content, I've been finding myself asking a lot that very question... What is it with these devs that want to draw our focus on all these sidequests and trivial mini-games when there are more pressing matters at hand. I'd like to sometimes not pay attention to all these distractions. But that goes against my OCD and so I have to occupy myself with everything at once, to the point of losing track of everything but the most recent quest or what I was supposed to be doing when I started the game.

Personally speaking I prefer a focused 15-20 hour game over a much longer one, where the many plot threads start to blend and I'm getting less invested in the world as time goes on.

Can you believe adventures games used to be like this? :eek:

1.jpg

Can you believe books are still like this?

There's something to be said about how a purely text based medium works your imagination. Books and interactive fiction have ways to evoke a sense of scope and backstory/history that is at least very hard to achieve with multimedial presentations. Interactive fiction can scare the shit out of you with just a few well placed words.

Exploring a developer's open world isn't supposed to be a chore lol.

No, but traveling back and forth between dungeons and markets in Elder Scrolls and Fallout games to increase money turns into a chore. I know there are gameplay styles that ignore this.

Who does that besides Wojo?

Yeah you pick up stuff along the way, but I never go searching with the intent to just sell a bunch of shit for bottle caps. Besides, that's you doing that one thing. The game never tells you to do it nor is it required to play the game proper.

Whatever the game lets you do is a valid strategy. I stopped playing Elder Fallouts because I was bored with doing that. No wait, I stopped playing any game because I feel antisocial glued to the PC in the bedroom if she's just going to diddle on her phone in the living room.

You can't buy skills, you get those by ranking up with XP. I don't hate this "Elder Scrolls mentality" as I didn't even know it was one. I search every nook and cranny of these games for items, but I only pick up stuff that's actually of value. I seem to recall you saying you could never progress in these games because you would walk for hours over encumbered due to you picking up every last item you would find.

In Fallout, if it's worth less than 30 caps, I don't touch it.

You buy skills in Elder Scrolls, you level up with XP in Fallout 3. They're the same core game, just one has guns. And if you think I describe every second of game play in accurate detail, I'd like to sell you some bridges, starting in Brooklyn.

I finished some game called Arnosurge:Ode to an unborn Star. It sucked, but I was determined

Now I'm starting Final Fantasy Type-0. Not sure if I'll play the FFXV demo included (not to spoil the game for next year)

Whatever the game lets you do is a valid strategy. I stopped playing Elder Fallouts because I was bored with doing that. No wait, I stopped playing any game because I feel antisocial glued to the PC in the bedroom if she's just going to diddle on her phone in the living room.

And now all you do is moan about gaming and the games you don't play whilst trying to convince us that there was in actual fact a time when you did actually play and finish games.

I'm right at the end of Dying Light after a disgustingly long marathon session yesterday, I actually felt bad about my behaviour when I finally logged off gone 12 o'clock last night. It was one of those occasions were you keep playing because all signs point to your imminent completion of the campaign but it just doesn't seen to come and they keep throwing one more mission in front of the you. Sort of the gaming equivalent of expecting Jacko's Return of the King to end. It's good though, because the devs at least make sure that the final throes of effort in Dying Light take place in mostly fresh environments, some of which are absolutely spectacular in the visual sense. It's been a great game (and an awful life suck).

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/04/ex-bungie-composer-marty-odonnell-wins-epic-legal-fight-with-former-bosses/

Marty O'Donnell won his court case against Bungie and Activision. That report goes into great deal as to exactly why they got rid of him. He effectively stood up to Activision's meddling and got fired for it.

It's fascinating to learn about the secret inner workings of high profile franchises, but Bungie should go cap in hand and beg O'Donnell to return. Talent like his is only ever an asset and creative industries are never going to be a bleedin' cakewalk are they!

Music of Spheres is now my holy grail.

It's a shame that a company as respected as Bungie got this sort of negative attention, but to me it feels that Activision are the ones that deserve the blame. They came in and changed Bungie's working methods for the worse and O'Donnell felt his creativity threatened, contributions disrespected and didn't want to play along with the new company's policy.

Something I can totally understand. So good for Marty having won the lawsuit.

And I don't think he'd want to work with Bungie anymore. Unless they get on their knees and beg.

Also from that link I understood that Marty already wrote all the music for the current game and the upcoming ones... Or am I reading that wrong? Because that'd be mind-boggling.

Batman Arkham Knight on PS4... it's a bit of alright. I'm loving it actually... how the old and new mechanics form a complete package.

It's pretty amazing how they've managed to keep it all fresh... there's tons of new ideas in here that aren't in the previous 3 games.

The batmobile addition takes some getting used to, it's like where I flew around the city before I mostly now drive.

The control scheme is pretty complex but at the same time extremely intuitive.

And what a most fabulous presentation... the visual details, Gotham City itself, the characters designs. Bad-ass !!!!

They've got some great designers over at Rocksteady !

The Batmobile gets easier and more enjoyable to wield the more you upgrade it. At first it's pretty awful.

I imagine it's awful because one needs to get used to it. I was driving and slamming into everything. Also braking with square is a bit strange.

I only got to the first riddler challenge (where I need to complete 3 laps) and that gave me some problems but that was more due to the bat-shit crazy track design.

Using it for getting around the city is pretty cool.

Also Rocksteady has perfected the combat, I can now get to 10 combo moves pretty easy. Which makes me look awesome ! :P

I also have MGS 5 lying here, I want to give it a go ASAP but I'll have to stick with Batman for now. Priorities man !!

Omg the Dreadnought in The Taken King has that whole metroidvania thing goin' on, it's a vast labyrinth of alien caverns and secret passageways! The first annual expansion does indeed feel a whole new game after all.

I just watched 'The Gamechangers' which was on BBC 2 last night. Daniel Radcliffe as GTA creator Sam Houser and Bill Paxton as his nemesis Jack Thompson.

The movie takes place from 2002 just after the release of Vice City, up to 2005 when San Andreas was released, and the shitstorm that followed when some dutch hacker found a way to unlock the Hot Coffee sex scene.

It was nice to see what went on in the game studio during those years. The film took a middle-ground stance without actually pointing a finger at either Rockstar for making so-called depraved violent videogames, nor Thompson for wanting to prove to everyone that videogames like Grand Theft Auto are murder simulators.

Early on in the film there's a scene where Devon Moore kills three cops after playing GTA. The way this is shot is like it came exactly out of the game, escape in a police car included.

Maybe the fact that it's made for TV is what drags it down a little. It's not exactly 'The Social Network' quality, but it was a nice effort nonetheless to get some debate going whether Thompson was right or not.

Personally I love the GTA games, I've killed many virtual people (but they were all bad, well mostly :blush: ) but it has never entered my mind to go out on a killing spree, because it would be rewarding or thinking I'd get some achievement for it. For me GTA has always been about the storyline, its characters, the freedom of gameplay, the richness of the world, the exploration and discovering of neat things. It has never been about the violence. Sure occasionally I do participate in a bit of wanton destruction but it's just for giggles, and to see what happens. And what happens it always end with my death. Game Over !

I'm glad Rockstar is still around today to raise the bar and take these games to the next level with each installment.

I just watched 'The Gamechangers' which was on BBC 2 last night. Daniel Radcliffe as GTA creator Sam Houser and Bill Paxton as his nemesis Jack Thompson.

The movie takes place from 2002 just after the release of Vice City, up to 2005 when San Andreas was released, and the shitstorm that followed when some dutch hacker found a way to unlock the Hot Coffee sex scene.

It was nice to see what went on in the game studio during those years. The film took a middle-ground stance without actually pointing a finger at either Rockstar for making so-called depraved violent videogames, nor Thompson for wanting to prove to everyone that videogames like Grand Theft Auto are murder simulators.

Early on in the film there's a scene where Devon Moore kills three cops after playing GTA. The way this is shot is like it came exactly out of the game, escape in a police car included.

Maybe the fact that it's made for TV is what drags it down a little. It's not exactly 'The Social Network' quality, but it was a nice effort nonetheless to get some debate going whether Thompson was right or not.

Personally I love the GTA games, I've killed many virtual people (but they were all bad, well mostly :blush: ) but it has never entered my mind to go out on a killing spree, because it would be rewarding or thinking I'd get some achievement for it. For me GTA has always been about the storyline, its characters, the freedom of gameplay, the richness of the world, the exploration and discovering of neat things. It has never been about the violence. Sure occasionally I do participate in a bit of wanton destruction but it's just for giggles, and to see what happens. And what happens it always end with my death. Game Over !

I'm glad Rockstar is still around today to raise the bar and take these games to the next level with each installment.

This should go in the movie thread. It has no place here.

Omg the Dreadnought in The Taken King has that whole metroidvania thing goin' on, it's a vast labyrinth of alien caverns and secret passageways! The first annual expansion does indeed feel a whole new game after all.

Ugh can't wait.

The Jack Thompson part was more interesting, I agree with that.

I didn't feel my time was wasted. Maybe the film could've used another half hour to put more flesh on the Rockstar part of the story.

Gaming "journalists" reviewing movies? You 'aving a laugh, mate!

Quite enjoyed Gamechangers, but some of it definitely stretched believability ,,, for instance, the Rockstar crew strolling around the 'mean streets' to shoot scene-setting footage for San Andreas seemingly without it having occurred to them that 3 white guys wandering around with a video camera might just attract suspicion/trouble.

Any recommendations for immersive, story-driven single player games in the vein of The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite? Something relatively streamlined and to-the-point (i.e no open worlds or stamp collecting missions) preferably.

Are you on PC? I bet it's still rather striking when maxed out @60fps.

I can probably run it on PC but probably not at the highest settings. I'll probably settle for the 360 version. The low fps and awkward controls are worth it for the ability to play it on and bigger screen, and for a more comfortable playing experience in general.

Any recommendations for immersive, story-driven single player games in the vein of The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite? Something relatively streamlined and to-the-point (i.e no open worlds or stamp collecting missions) preferably.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Not much depth in that one story-wise, but I found it remarkably engaging for a FPS about killing Nazis.

As I'm sure you know, A Thief's End was scheduled for this year but was delayed to March. Either way, the PS4 is outselling Xbox One like crazy even without games. It makes me excited for when all their first party developers finally reveal/release what they've been working on for so long. Polyphony, Bend, Guerrilla Cambridge, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Quantic Dream, Media Molecule, Japan Studio, and Santa Monica all have games that they're working on.

I can't believe that's Sony's big triple-A exclusive this Christmas. Lame.

I haven't played it so it's new to me! :P

I hope this one isn't a major downgrade from the original(s) like some of these other so called "HD remasters":.