What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

They reckon it's impossible to concentrate on the main quest and I can well believe them - every turn reveals a new dusty footpath, an intriguing cave, a rusty door to a long abandoned crypt. Resistence is futile.

Funnily enough I was talking with a mate about it over Live last night: I don't think I'll ever finish this game, but I will absolutely soak up the experience nonetheless. It's one of those game's you can literally play forever.

I don't think you can finish it per se. Once you've done all the handmade quest, the random quest generator kicks in. So techincally u have infinite quests.

Well what did you expect graphics wise? Of course they reached the limit of current gen consoles a few years ago. That's why I can't friggen wait until new consoles come out so we can finally get better textures and shading

The gameplay trailers for it looked stunning, but of course they were PC graphics. I was just expecting a little bit more fluidity with the frame rate.

I guess Eurogamer were wrong then, huh Koray?

KM, the visuals are STUNNING. Take no notice. The combat is vastly improved over Oblivion, as is the sense that you're really traversing the beautiful, frosty world the artists have created. Gone are the floaty third person controls of both Oblivion and Fallout.

I didn't read or watch any reviews for the game, wanted to make up my mind for myself. 6 hours later though, it's pretty damn amazing. Just takes some time getting used to it.

The 3rd person view in New Vegas was horrendous, worse than Fallout 3 somehow. This is much better, and the addition of sprint and stamina adds a whole new level of gameplay. I don't particularly remember the melee combat in Oblivion, but in Skyrim it's more akin to New Vegas. KM is correct, it's kinda of just swing until they die without any real accuracy or strategy. They implemented a version of VATS, where if you I guess just swing randomly close enough, it'll enter a 3rd person animation where you fucking tear the enemy apart. So far I've only used magic, a bow, and a giant war hammer. Haven't found a sword that deals enough damage yet.

There's so much to fucking do though, from creating potions and enchantments to forging and refining your own weapons and raw materials. Hell you can even cook your own meals. Clearing out dungeons is a bit annoying since the last one I did took like an hour. It gets old after awhile just running down the same corridors for so long. I've found more pleasure doing side quests in the towns.

I think it's a game you have basically get accustomed to live in that world so there's a lot of little things to figure out

I think the Oblivion visuals still hold up well to today, and far superior to some other RPG's like Dragon Age, Two Worlds ,Gothic 4 and Risen. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are good enough. If Skyrim is like that I'll be happy

What tired me in Fallout was the dreary color palette (everything brownish or greenish) but Skyrim's world looks much brighter

Well it's not a post-apocalyptic wasteland, so yes. The environments are beautiful, and the score truly magnificent.

I had the most epic battle earlier today, before I switched over to MW3.

I was traveling with a companion to the next story quest location. I got a bit sidetracked (went to marvel at a river crossing), and found myself in a sort of Yellowstone park area with geysers and hot springs. It doubled as a mammoth graveyard and out of nowhere a small heard of mammoths come strolling through with a dragon circling overhead. It was equivalent to the first dinosaur scene in Jurassic Park. Well, the dragon caught sight of me and I took that mutha down after a good fight. Then a sabertooth tiger appears and I have to take that fast dude down. Then a giant troll dude shows up and starts sprinting after me, and he was even a bigger bitch to take down, him killing my companion in the process. Then one of the mammoths got defensive since I guess was too close and started to chase me. Arrows didn't do any damage so I tried to make a run for it. It got stuck in a glitch, launched 100 feet in the air and came crashing down to it's death. ROTFLMAO

Well, if any of you guys are looking to build yourselves a new gaming PC, I've been helping my girlfriend pick out parts for her new system so she can play Skyrim. The total bill is about $1200.

If $1200 is breaking the bank for a pile of computer chips and fans, as I reckon it is for most folks around here, feel free to continue playing your console systems that are dirt cheap, but were also state-of-the-art about five years ago. The PC modding community has already come up with ways to make Skyrim look better with some .INI tweaks, and full-fledge graphics upgrades are never more than a few weeks ago. *drool*

Once I bring my desktop out with me, this week or next, I'll have high-speed internet, and will be able to play.........New Vegas. I'm not getting Skyrim until I get my money's worth out of New Vegas.

And no, you cannot technically ever beat Skyrim once and for all, because of the infinite quest generator. Even if it's "Go to [location], murder/steal [person/artifact], and take it to [location]," the chances of you being able to do that and only that without getting sidetracked in epic battles along the way are slim.

I've been playing Modern Warfare 3 for about a week now. I'm slowly getting better at it, honestly I'm starting to like Black Ops more. There are so many glitches with this game it's not even funny. Knifing is worse than ever before, even worse than when Modern Warfare 2 was launched. Even in game glitches can be so bad I'd have to back out of that particular match.

There's been times where I've done the full knifing motion on someone but it just happen to lag right at those moments and so it doesn't give me the kills and the guy just turns around and either shoots or knifes me.

That's another thing that really irritates the hell out of me with this game. You die way too damn easy on this game compared to how it was with Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. There's times I've literally been putting a full clip (sometimes up to 1.5 clips or 2 clips) in someone, they don't die but literally two shots from their gun and I die. I was in one match earlier today where I was putting a full clip in someone, the guy just keeps walking up to me and two taps from his gun and I was dead. I even watched the damn kill cam to confirm what I saw was accurate and sure enough. Hell the kill cam didn't even show I was firing my gun at the guy until the last minute.

I've been on the Modern Warfare 3 forums and a lot of other people are complaining about the bugs, glitches and such. There's also apparently the cheaters who are exploiting the under the map glitch, or hiding in the tank glitches. I read one thread where someone asked if all the hackers from Modern Warfare 2 migrated to Modern Warfare 3. It is a very good possibility that they did.

Either way I hope Activision fixes all these bugs plaguing the game or I'm going back to Black Ops.

No tiny statue is worth $150. I'm pissed the collector's edition doesn't come with the soundtrack. Hell, I'm waiting until Steam puts Skyrim on sale. There's no reason to have it immediately.

you must be pretty fat

the dragon statue is 12 inch high , and as a collector of these types of things I can tell you the paint job and detail is pretty good

I fact I have not seen a better collectible dragon statue

I only ever buy the basic retail version of any game; unless there's a worthwhile DLC code in the box with the 'limited' edition, in which case I'll buy it.

Anyway I've put Skyrim on hold till they release the first big title update, which is supposed to be imminent. I've got the the Xbox texture bug, which uglifies the game. I know it can be fixed by playing off the disc, but it sounds like a UFO hovering over my house when I do so I'll just wait. I'm inundated anyway.

How's your play through going, Koray? Not encountered the PS3 save game controller lag bug? That sounds really horrible.

ok, so the xbox 360 version has a texture loading problem?

PS3 save game lag bug?

See what I all tell you about waiting 3 months to play a Bethesa game

Bethesda games are famously bug-ridden at retail build, but other than the texture thing I've had no problems. My mate has the new, quieter Xbox and so he's playing it straight off the disc. He's level 24 and reckons its been plain sailing so far.

Do you own an old Elite like myself? Sounds like a jet engine when the disc is spinning.

Sod that, didn't you read the EG Face-off? That'll make your mind up in one fell swoop.

The texture problem on Xbox only occurs when you install, which is why I'm waiting for the incoming fix.

ok, looks like it's the xbox360 version that's much better anyways

PS3 seems to have a lot more issues

I'll play it when they fix the texture loading problem

Seriously? How is that even possible if something like Battlefield 3 took up two discs?

BF3 is in a completely different league in terms of performance requirements than Skyrim.

After a break (first a business trip and then being not fully healthy and not feeling fit enough for the action chapters), I finished UC3. Great game overall, although with a surprisingly unremarkable final segment. After the great setup in the first half or so of the game, and lots of exciting set pieces in the middle, the script got disappointingly thin in the last third. The Heavy Rain like scripted bits in between generally worked well, but somehow the banter between Nate and Sully and Nate's own constant cursing weren't as involving as they used to be in the previous two games. Elena was underused as well. As a result, the later chapters weren't as immersive as I'd expected them to be. The game started out as clearly the best in the series, and it's still damn good in the end, but I'm not sure now if I'd rank it higher than the second one. Still, bring on the next one and I'll certainly play it. And if next time they craft a script that not only promises a lot in the exposition, but in the end also delivers emotionally, even better.

Score was damn fine. Still waiting for my CD, but at least it's in the mail already.

I put that down a couple of weeks ago and haven't felt compelled to pick it back up again and finish it off. Need to get it done and sold whilst it's still worth something at trade.

So I've had a really good attempt at getting into MW3 the last couple of days. Got to rank 39, which took longer then expected. I've just slipped it back into the envelope so I can be rid on Monday. It's fucking shit. It's just the same thing every single game.

Spawn, get a few kills. Die.

There's zero strategy in this game at all, it's just a bunch of headless chickens rabidly scrambling around trying to get the kills before everybody else. And that's it. Every single match.

That this franchise is a gaming phenonomen is baffling to me. Or at least I wish it was. What I think is it says a lot about the vast majority of "gamers", and I despair at what that means.

you must be pretty fat

A little bit, but look at your own torso from neck to waist. Quite big isn't it? Unless of course you're really short. I'm 6'3".

How's your play through going, Koray? Not encountered the PS3 save game controller lag bug? That sounds really horrible.

I haven't encountered any serious problems in my (approx.) 15 hours of gameplay. There are the expected glitches, like flying mammoths, which I love and would rather have than go without. Makes the game more hilarious than it already is. I was fighting a dragon, and it looked like it got sucked into a whirlpool, flying in tight circles, and then it disappeared underground. It was still on my compass so I stood over it looking around, and then it bursted straight up over me with a giant roar. Scared the shit out of me :lol:

The game hasn't frozen yet, and I encountered one quest bug, which I was able to fix by going through a specific door to trigger my task as complete.

So I've had a really good attempt at getting into MW3 the last couple of days. Got to rank 39, which took longer then expected. I've just slipped it back into the envelope so I can be rid on Monday. It's fucking shit. It's just the same thing every single game.

There's zero strategy in this game at all, it's just a bunch of headless chickens rabidly scrambling around trying to get the kills before everybody else. And that's it. Every single match.

That this franchise is a gaming phenonomen is baffling to me. Or at least I wish it was. What I think is it says a lot about the vast majority of "gamers", and I despair at what that means.

I don't know why you expected anything different. There are some minor improvements as well as drawbacks. Going in with extremely low expectations, I'm quite enjoying myself. Been playing it more than Skyrim, surprisingly. The game takes strategy, but like you said, most of the players are just headless chickens. When me and my friends get into a full party, we destroy. I went 22-0 earlier today, my highest killstreak so far.

Long Live Super Mario, Donkey Kong Country and The Legend Of Zelda series!

Hear Hear (and Metroid too!)

but there are other good games too. (The Hobbit, NBA Street, Numerous Star Wars games, Rayman series etc.)

you must be pretty fat

A little bit, but look at your own torso from neck to waist. Quite big isn't it? Unless of course you're really short. I'm 6'3".

that was a really big box Koray

The convoy chase (on horseback), which 1-up'd the already brilliant (similar) sequence in Uncharted 2.

That it was preceded by the exceptionally produced trawl through the desert was just magnificently engineered game design.

A real highlight of an otherwise forgettable game.

I look forward to Skyrim one of these days.

I started to play Sins of a Solar Empire (RTS buff over here...). It seems interesting. Of course I'm still not sure of what I'm doing so right now I'm slow and the simplest match seems to go on forever. Plus all the zooming in and out drives me crazy. Also, the space pirates are a pain in the ass! :)

I told you, from Chapter 11 until the end, it's the best gaming has to offer.

But still, I can't shake my overall disappointment, after the second game. I think NG dropped the ball this time.

Funnily enough Kotaku has published an opinion piece just today about the game, and I found myself agreeing with every word.

The convoy chase (on horseback), which 1-up'd the already brilliant (similar) sequence in Uncharted 2.

The chase was great (and the horse physics brilliant), though it's probably not quite my favourite set piece of the game.

That it was preceded by the exceptionally produced trawl through the desert was just magnificently engineered game design.

That was awesome. A great combination of storytelling and gameplay.

The chase was great (and the horse physics brilliant), though it's probably not quite my favourite set piece of the game.

Ooo, are you saying there's still some goodies to come? ;)

It's not. I don't know why, but the site that I saw only offers the sale for PS3 and X360.

Steam is having a huge sale. The only ones that interest me are Portal 2 and Duke.

$6.79. How could you not?