GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

If he doesn't show up again in some form then that's pretty poor writing as he basically exists for the Night's Watch to go beyond the wall. Plot device!

I disagree - to me that would be totally in keeping with with the "more realistic" premise in the writing. Just as (almost) anyone can die, people can go missing in uncharted areas and never be found. That everyone has to be accounted for at the end is artificial. (Not that I wouldn't love to find out what happend to him

;))

In a way the sequence of events really illustrates the dangers of the lands of always winter: waymar sets out to gather recon in the wild - waymar goes missing - benjen sets out to find him - benjen goes missing - mormont sets out in force to find him - mormont and many rangers are killed.

Nah, I think the whole series is getting away from him. You can tell by Book 4 that it's become too big for him to manage.

Yeah I have gotten a bit that feel from books 4 and 5. He already has a very large cast even if he kills people off so casually but he adds even more of them with additional plotlines to the overall plot and follows storythreads that do not seem to go anywhere or peter out disappointingly.

Damn, you really like that expression ("To peter out"), don't you?

Yeah. You can thank Peter Jackson for that. I could use "falls slowly into nothingness" if it pleases your highness more.

I'd say adapt it to Game Of Thrones and say "To martin out".

I think I'll just do that.

Nah, I think the whole series is getting away from him. You can tell by Book 4 that it's become too big for him to manage.

Yeah I have gotten a bit that feel from books 4 and 5. He already has a very large cast even if he kills people off so casually but he adds even more of them with additional plotlines to the overall plot and follows storythreads that do not seem to go anywhere or peter out disappointingly.

Yeah, everything that gets tied up just leads to even more new story threads, most I couldn't give two fucks about at this point. He had so much fat in AFFC he had to remove popular characters like Jon and Tyrion. Tyrion's story in Dance was pretty disappointing then to top it off.

I adored the first three books but AFFC was just horrible. Dance was a slight improvement but there's no way we're getting a satisfactory conclusion in two books.

The TV show might do a good job on it though, I've generally preferred their interpretations of things.

AFFC does have one storyline in particular that's awesome though. And it's one I look forward to seeing on screen.

I'll remove all that crap in my book edit!

That is so much easier than a film edit man!

Oh there's definitely still some good in those books. It's just buried under so much fat.

Yeah. I still really like the characters and some of the new storylines, but there's a lot of bloat in the latest of the two novels.

And in this case, I believe the TV show will provide the best version of the story to tell. It's their writers' chance to cut the bloat and tell the best parts of the story.

Yeah. We've discussed it before, but a large part of that is because of the show's formatting. It's desire to squeeze in every character in each episode will be its undoing. We end up with a good collection of character scenes, but it results in episodes that come in without saying much. If they had 3 characters per episode at most, it wouldn't feel as bloated, and each episode would be more satisfying.

With that in mind, it's a good thing they cut out Bran in this season.

Yeah. We've discussed it before, but a large part of that is because of the show's formatting. It's desire to squeeze in every character in each episode will be its undoing. We end up with a good collection of character scenes, but it results in episodes that come in without saying much. If they had 3 characters per episode at most, it wouldn't feel as bloated, and each episode would be more satisfying.

With that in mind, it's a good thing they cut out Bran in this season.

I think it's definitely a series that works much better when you binge watch it because of the problem you described.

I really like that artist's take on the events of the show. The stylized presentation is very cool. Great posters as usual.

Spoilery as in the "last season was shown almost a year ago"? What is there to spoil? If someone is going to be afraid of being spoiled then avoid the discussion on the internet until you have seen all the seasons and/or read the books.

Does anybody else wish they would release the GOT blu-ray sets earlier. The "wait half a year" approach works great for movies but it doesn't translate well to TV.

It's hard to complain though, because all of the GOT blu-ray sets are fantastic.

Does anybody else wish they would release the GOT blu-ray sets earlier. The "wait half a year" approach works great for movies but it doesn't translate well to TV.

It's hard to complain though, because all of the GOT blu-ray sets are fantastic.

Yes, i don't like that at all.

But as you said, these Bluray sets are fantastic and have picture and audio quality on reference level.

Yea I think they should come out each year before Christmas, not in March just before the new season airs. They'd sell more, and people'd have more time to get all caught up and then decide to subscribe to HBO to watch the new season live. It'd be win win.

Just as my interest in this starts to fade they keep pulling me back with this intrigue. Can't wait for the next season! :)

Wow, wasn't expecting a trailer so soon, cool!

Wait, what's so special about the final shot? Some statue falling down?

Great teaser.

But the whole season better not end up being a tease.

There's one scene I'm especially looking forward to. They pull it off well, and I'll be satisfied.

Of course, I bet all the stuff they showed in the trailer represent the most exciting bits of the season and the rest of it will consist of filler, boring material...

Wtf, is this some kind of lazy joke or do you really think that way?

He was being sardonic and exaggerating.

But he was pointing at a legitimate flaw of the show.

But the whole season better not end up being a tease.

That's what I fear will happen yet again. 8 episodes where nothing much happens, only there as a build-up to the events of the ninth episode!

At least we'll get to see the stunning production values at work again! Oh and the acting!

It's not about that. It's about the pacing of the show. Some episodes are clearly spread very thin, others very jam-packed. The show is great, but they haven't necessarily struck that balance yet.

And that's where the argument about too many characters in a episode comes in.